Surprise He is a She !

JoeG

I came home to baby chams walking around. I thought I picked up a male Mt. Kenya Jacksons a couple of months ago & today he/she gave birth! I set up a seperate cage for them & put some fruit flies in there but have not seen them eat. Can some one with experience chime in & offer some tips please.

Did the horns throw you off? :) I don't have much to offer except that babies don't always eat right away. Do they look alright? A lot of live bearing females give birth to not so good looking babies because of husbandry during pregnancy.

Oh what a wonderful surprise! From the look of the ones in the photos they look pretty healthy, no? Better get some pinhead crickets too.

Trioceros jacksonii jacksonii females also have three horns, similar to males. How many neonates were born? How long have you had the female? Ovoviviparous species can be tricky to care for as neonates, so I wish you luck with them.

LPR08

There is an article by Kent Machen. I will try to locate it. I just pm'd him. It is Kent67 one of the moderators. GOOD LUCK.

Did the horns throw you off? :) I don't have much to offer except that babies don't always eat right away. Do they look alright? A lot of live bearing females give birth to not so good looking babies because of husbandry during pregnancy.

I knew that some females can also have 3 horns,I guess I just believed what the seller told me. I did suspect her to be a bit overweight,

Trioceros jacksonii jacksonii females also have three horns, similar to males. How many neonates were born? How long have you had the female? Ovoviviparous species can be tricky to care for as neonates, so I wish you luck with them.

LPR08

I had her about 6 months & she had 6 healthy looking babies & unfortunately 3 stillborn. I'm gonna need the luck, thanks....

I had her about 6 months & she had 6 healthy looking babies & unfortunately 3 stillborn. I'm gonna need the luck, thanks....

Hey let's look on the bright side, as soon as it warms up a bit for both of us, I will be ready and waiting to buy a little cutie.

How long does it sometimes take babies to eat? I was concerned that the fruitflies are so small they might escape out of the screened enclosure faster than they might be eaten. They look pretty healthy so far , thanks.....

Wowwwww, so they don't lay? they just give birth to babies? That is totally awesome!!!! Is there any other chams that reproduce this way?

How long does it sometimes take babies to eat? I was concerned that the fruitflies are so small they might escape out of the screened enclosure faster than they might be eaten. They look pretty healthy so far , thanks.....

Sometimes it depends. They should start eating soon. How big is the screened enclosure?

Wowwwww, so they don't lay? they just give birth to babies? That is totally awesome!!!! Is there any other chams that reproduce this way?

There are a few species that are ovoviviparous. Meaning, they have live birth. Basically they carry the babies and give birth. They basically incubate the eggs for you, except there aren't eggs inside the mom.

They are in a 16 x 12 x 20 enclosure. their basking spot at the hottest point is 83.5 degrees , they have a 5.0 linear reptisun uvb have a dripper & i am misting 4 to 5 times a day. I just put some fruit in there to keep the fruitflies around but its hard to tell if they are eating. really can't watch them all day. 1 of them looks a little weak & the rest seem pretty active & alert. Even if I saw 1 shoot tongue I would feel a lot better

Back
Top Bottom