Supply & Demand

Highway61

Chameleon Enthusiast
It baffles me that so many vendors with SILKWORM in the company name are so consistently out of live silkworms. The few I did find are capitalizing on the situation. I will give Serenity credit for having Silkworm in their name and can still fill an order... but that shipping is killa.

1625255175497.png

Last edited:
Why are you only buying 25? Most companies like that have flat rate shipping regardless of how big your order is, it's more financially wise to buy as much as you can in those instances.

Keep the excess silkies as pets, try your own breeding project, feed them to local bird life or other pets, don't just buy 25 when your paying that much for shipping. :D Heck buy some new feeder types

Also hornworms are a great silkie substitute.

Why are you only buying 25? Most companies like that have flat rate shipping regardless of how big your order is, it's more financially wise to buy as much as you can in those instances.

Keep the excess silkies as pets, try your own breeding project, feed them to local bird life or other pets, don't just buy 25 when your paying that much for shipping. :D Heck buy some new feeder types

Also hornworms are a great silkie substitute.
Yeah, if I had to pay that much for shipping, they would be eating something else😦

Agree that you should order more than 25. Let them cocoon, do their thing, get some eggs and after a couple of months in a (preferably) wine fridge, you can take out and hatch as many as you want.

I buy here and get 100 at the time. I let about half cocoon and hatch the moths to feed. My guys love the silks and the moths.

Marianna is great to work with, excellent prices and sends extra.
https://www.beastmodesilks-west.com/shop
Thanks for this referral, Jan. Marianna is all that! I got 100 small silks in just a couple of days and she included two chow-mix-packs and a promo code for 25% off the next order. If you have the word silkworm in your company name, this is how it's done!

Ah lol, and im about to start silkworms again. Line breeding and everything. One of my fav feeders to work with because of their pliable genetics. See you guys in a few months! (I will be selling super small scale though but maybe can help here and there for those who need some) does anyone see any good potentials for high quality genetics from any regular vendors? I need about 3 to take stock from i already have 2 planned

It baffles me that so many vendors with SILKWORM in the company name are so consistently out of live silkworms. The few I did find are capitalizing on the situation. I will give Serenity credit for having Silkworm in their name and can still fill an order... but that shipping is killa.

View attachment 304733
Um...that is what Fedex costs..

When ordering bugs that must ship overnight, you have to divide the cost of bugs plus shipping and that is your cost per bug.

Not even Amazon, which operated at a loss for a decade, and is backed by billions, is going to cover that cost.

Please be fair to these small companies who are doing us a great service.

Silkworms dont have to be shipped overnight depending on temps and ventilation. At least not from my experience. If its high temps or too low of temps of course its overnight. Some temps i dont even ship in and require a wait period. Wont even place them in a temp controlled truck for something wrong to happen. When i do non-feeders i stop shipping all of summer and wont ship to snowing states depending on the species. Feeders i give more leeway but im still probably more strict than most places sadly. Certain species like hardy roaches or mealworms/supers i can ship year round with warmers or icepacks. But... yeah. I wont risk live unnecessarily if i know in advanced.

Um...that is what Fedex costs..

When ordering bugs that must ship overnight, you have to divide the cost of bugs plus shipping and that is your cost per bug.

Not even Amazon, which operated at a loss for a decade, and is backed by billions, is going to cover that cost.

Please be fair to these small companies who are doing us a great service.
Um... $29.95 is not what anyone should pay for FedEx 2 day shipping. I paid $16.00 for shipping and got it in two days so if you want to be a victim of price gouging in an effort to support small companies, that's your prerogitive.

Last edited:
Um... $29.95 is not what anyone should pay for FedEx 2 day shipping. I paid $16.00 for shipping and got it in two days so if you want to be a victim of price gouging in an effort to support small companies, that's your prerogitive.
I am probably sensitive as a small business owner that paid out $17, 626 to Fedex last year.

Back
Top Bottom