Supplementing Jacksons

I well I smelled it from like a foot away as I was picking it up. Not overwhelming, just had a poop smell.... lol. I guess you probably feed smaller snails as Well? My Cham ate one that had a shell as wide as a quarter

You said..."Use the supplement only once every week because it could cause problems in the throught and well swell up" .....what supplement?

Last edited:
In this article...
http://www.chameleonnews.com/02MayDonoghue.html

Sue Donoghue said..."We know that veileds and panthers eat more calories, hence need more calcium, than montane species such as Jackson's"...and..."As calorie intakes increase, so should calcium intakes"....and..." Chameleons use calcium according to their metabolic rate. Thus lowland species tend to require more calcium than montane species because they are maintained at warmer temperatures and have higher metabolic rates"...since Jacksons eat less and need less calcium...does it not make sense to dust all the feeders with a phosphorous-free calcium powder because since they eat less that automatically means they will get less calcium too??

I didn't keep many Jacksons other than the media...but I dusted all their insects with calcium and went easy on the other two supplements....and they did well.

It's usually vitamin A that is responsible for the edema in the throat not the calcium.

If an insect has a poor ratio of calcium and we dust it properly (not too lightly or heavily) with calcium why wouldn't we dust all of them because they are all equally calcium deficient aren't they?

Read post 27 and the article I sited.

It's usually vitamin A that is responsible for the edema in the throat not the calcium.

If an insect has a poor ratio of calcium and we dust it properly (not too lightly or heavily) with calcium why wouldn't we dust all of them because they are all equally calcium deficient aren't they?

Read post 27 and the article I sited.
Oh well i guess i got it wrong thanks for correcting me

I have heard that Jacksons are more of an intermediate chameleon but I figured as long as I do enough research I would be able to handle one. For hydration and humidity I am planning on having a dripper running all day, a reptifogger coming on many times throughout the day, and I would mist the enclosure for around 5 minutes 3 times a day. This would only be temporary as I plan on installing a mistking system about a month after I receive the chameleon. As for supplementation well I'm trying to figure that out now which is why I have created this thread. If you don't mind can you go more in depth of why they're harder to keep than other chameleons just so I can make sure I know what I'm getting myself into and am positive that I can give it everything it needs. Also do you think I would be able to keep one happy and healthy as long as I do the proper research and preparations because Im definitely not the type of person that likes getting an animal that has a low chance of thriving. Thanks!
I completely agree with you on your approach to keeping a Jackson's (research!). My first cham was (is) a Jax, second was (is) a quad. It has never made sense to me to invest several years in a "beginner" chameleon that you don't necessarily want, and that DOESN'T want you. Both my guys are extremely laid back, take food from my hand, and come out to roam in their gym. I have had 0 challenges with either of them, both vet visits checked out fine. Both are enthusiastic eaters (feeders gutloaded with fresh veggies and Repashy bug burger and dusted 3x/wk with Repashy LoD.) Both have steadily gained 3-7grams/wk since they came into my care. Boris (my Jackson's) was around 40gm when I first got him in December, now he's 147gm and about a foot long. I have a CliMist running three minutes 4x/day and drippers. Their humidity stays 60-70%. All that being said, I live in a pretty humid area so moisture has never been a problem. I think you're off to a great start.

Back
Top Bottom