Superworms / Manageable Order Size

Rush2112

I recently bought 500 Superworms and some gut load to go along with them. I split as best I could into 2 1/2 Gallon sized deli containers and also split up the pound of gut load between the two. It seemed a little overcrowded so I split them a third time. I've been alternating carrots, Nature Zone Total Bites for additional food. I'm not too happy with how I did it because the die off, looks like cannibalism, has been high.

What is a good method of keeping that many without high loss?

Thank you all.

Wheat bran and a sterility tote with no lid. Get the shoebox size and a big bag of wheat bran. Dump the worms into a 2nd container to separate the dead ones, put all 500 into the tote, fill the container to wihtin an inch of the top with wheat bran. Throw in a chunk of carrot or apple or squash every couple days and remove dead ones as the appear. Hope this helps!

Wheat bran and a sterility tote with no lid. Get the shoebox size and a big bag of wheat bran. Dump the worms into a 2nd container to separate the dead ones, put all 500 into the tote, fill the container to wihtin an inch of the top with wheat bran. Throw in a chunk of carrot or apple or squash every couple days and remove dead ones as the appear. Hope this helps!

Ok Brian, thank you for the tips. I bought 500 large from Great Lakes Hornworms and bought their 1lb of Gutload but not the Wheat Bran. Will the 500 large be ok in a shoe box size container?

Ok Brian, thank you for the tips. I bought 500 large from Great Lakes Hornworms and bought their 1lb of Gutload but not the Wheat Bran. Will the 500 large be ok in a shoe box size container?

Should be plenty big enough. That's about what I keep in mine and have very little die off.

This is what I do too. i just have wheat bran and oatmeal in a shoe box size container. Houses about 500 for me all different sizes, but still works well.

PS, I LOVE Superworms compared to crickets. I know they are very necessary and I have plenty of them but Superworms are so much easier to keep and feed!

Always make sure they have a source of hydration. That will cut down on cannabilism a ton. I kept 1000 in a small litterbox with chicken scratch. They live a long time and can't climb so they're very easy keepers.

Make sure you keep their container clean with that number of them. If you let it go too long everything will begin to smell of amonia!

Back
Top Bottom