superworms eating?

danibug23

well my friend has a bearded dragon and he loves some superworms!!! well she was over one day when i was feeding one of my chameleons one and she about near flipped out on me because i didnt chop them all up. Her vet told her to chop them up really good because the superworms can eat their way out through the stomach and everything!!!! :eek: i have never heard this before has anybody else?

Yeah I've heard it quite a few times. Many people believe it and crush or cut off the head first but many people don't. I've never seen it and they eat bigger and badder bugs out the wild and seem to do just fine with them. I'm not a believer personally.

I never heard anyone claim it happened to them, but I've heard the story plenty............probably a myth is what I reckon. I don't think many forum members chop them up, so we'd know by now if it happened often :D

I have heard of it as well many times on here. I dont believe it at all! first off, they usually get chomped on quite a bit before swallowed. Then for something to live and eat its way out before the digesting takes place.. Highly doubt that.

when she told me that i have not fed them to my chameleons yet they are still in their little container i have them in i just stare at them whenever i walk by and im like uggghhhh. but now i feel better they will start getting them again :)

They will NOT chew their way out of the insides of a healthy chameleon.
Firstly because the vast majority of chameleons "chew" their food, piercing the skin and usually crushing the head. This makes it fast and easy for stomach acids to do its work.
even if swallowed whole, the superworm will drown.
try putting a superworm into a little puddle of water and you'll see what I mean. Then just imagine that water is digestive acid, in a small enclosed area the worm cant leave. You'll see there is no danger in superworms (apart from their high fat content)

If you have ever watched a cham eat a super worm they chomp it and the guts come dripping out. In fact, on several occassions when I hand fed the supers I have gotten squirted. ACK!

They will NOT chew their way out of the insides of a healthy chameleon.
Firstly because the vast majority of chameleons "chew" their food, piercing the skin and usually crushing the head. This makes it fast and easy for stomach acids to do its work.
even if swallowed whole, the superworm will drown.
try putting a superworm into a little puddle of water and you'll see what I mean.
Then just imagine that water is digestive acid, in a small enclosed area the worm cant leave. You'll see there is no danger in superworms (apart from their high fat content)

Aboslutely, haven't you ever seen them drown in just a couple drops of mist water? They last 30 seconds anywhere near water, their ability to run away from it is pathetic. I've always thought this myth was completely unbelievable.

yeah i have no idea what vet she uses i think she travels like an hour away. i say thats gas wasted. yeah i knew they bite but when she told me about the whole eating their way through i was a bit disturbed by it. but thank you guys for clearing this all up im going to show this thread to her though.

Back
Top Bottom