Superworm Eggs?

Yessabub

Established Member
I have successfully pupated around 30 to 40 superworms and now there all beetles i left them in a container with wheat brain substrate and potatoes/apples for moisture they were in there for about 2 weeks and now i switched them into another container. I believe i did this right but i dont see any eggs when i look closely in the container they were already in is this normal to not be able to see them?

I have not bred Supers but I have bred Mealworms... Best thing to do is leave them in the container of oats until they start dying off, remove the dead ones, and wait to see little supers. Once you notice babies you can seperate those into a different container and let them grow a bit, take a bunch more, pupate them, and start the process all over again. Have 3 seperate containers... One for breeding adults and eggs, one for growing supers, and one for pupae. Then have the other individual containers to pupate them seperately of course.

You know, I have never thought about looking to see if I could see eggs since baby mealworms are so tiny, I just didn't bother. Just be patient and i'm sure you'll get lots of baby supers in no time.

Now that I read over this it seems a bit confusing but I hope you understand my ramble. :D Good luck!

do your beetles clump on top of each other in the corners of the container? Since I started having beetles all they do is sit on top of each other in the corner of the container :confused:

Just noting that the idea of these breeding is one of my worst nightmares....I'm so afraid of those super worms I can't even imagine being in the room with the beetle they grow into.

do your beetles clump on top of each other in the corners of the container? Since I started having beetles all they do is sit on top of each other in the corner of the container :confused:

Yes, I put the top of a egg carton in mine for them to hide just don't use the styrofoam kind.

P5270070.jpg

well i am breeding superworms ... but i have 200-300 beetles ... so what i do is changing their substrate once every 1-2 weeks depends on how much beatles i have ... usualy 1-2 weeks after when i put a leaf of cabbage on the next day i see smal holes in it. Later on (after a few weeks) they will start to get bigger i put a 2-3 potatoes in the substrate which usualy is enough for them to get up to 5-6 cm long. But i am giving them cabbage leaves aswell.
If they don't have enough water they will start to eat each other so water is very important

I use wheat bran i bought a big 55 pound bag at tractor supply. Yes seems like a lot but its gonna last awhile and i only paid 8 bucks for it :)

Oh cool, thanks! That is where I go to buy my rabbit food which also comes in 50 bags. I am there all the time, that works out well for me :)

yes just make sure its crumbs and non medicated

Thanks I will! Last time I was at the feed store and asked for chicken mash the guy didn't know what I wS talking about! I must have asked the wrong employee lol. But I wasn't aware that it could be medicated so that is really good to know :D

Back
Top Bottom