Super trans veileds

Craigwyatt

Avid Member
I breed panthers but when I don't have any I usually buy them so I have something to sell. This time I had a group of super trans veileds offered to me and I was like what the heck if I can sell panthers I could prob sell these too.
Now this is the first time I've ever had these before. I've had plenty of veileds but never this morph.
My main question is is it ok to house them outside like I've housed
image.jpeg
normal veileds before. I know albinos can be sensitive to sunlight I was wondering if these could be too. This might sound like a stupid question but I was taught the only stupid questions are the ones that are not asked. Some of there eyes have this weird light blue around there eye turrets. Last thing I want to do is mess them up in any way.
Ty guys in advance

Someone has got to have my answer. And I have to agree with you courts spyro. These guys are crazy cool. You should see one in person. Pics don't do them justice.

You probably are totally fine but i would make sure that the have there heat out there.(70-92%) Also im unsure if you have a UVB light but i would probably have one of those to..:)

You don't need one though i would have one because its harder for them to get there vitamins without it.. you will be fine tho like i said but make sure that you are dusting what ever you are feeding them ...(y)

(y)(y)There is more than enough heat outside. It's freaking hot here!! I really just want to make sure that there skin and eyes can handle the real deal sun. I've housed normal veileds outside before and they loved it. I also house some of my panthers outside too. The difference between being outside in the real sun vs being inside under artificial UVB is huge. Seems like they turn into bullet proof chameleons outside. Just imagine your chameleon inside under really good conditions. Awesome cage great UVB and your chameleon looks at its best. Well take um outside and you will see the difference pretty quick. It's a huge difference.
So that's the reason for this thread. I want them to go outside while they still can. Ive got another solid 2 months that I can do this.
I think I'll just stick them in the shade until someone can tell me for sure.
Thanks guys for your input so far(y)

Just my opinion, but I'd think that as long as they had cover from the sun they'd be fine. So as long as there is plenty of vegetation and access to water like all chameleons I would think they could "feel the burn" (insert lame gym joke here) and hang out in the shade if the sun was burning them.

Mike you pretty much nailed what I was thinking. It does sound very logical.
I just put them outside not to long ago. There in a nice shady spot. I did the same thing yesterday.
I've got a sprinkler that goes back and forth. When the water is shooting straight up it hits a ton of branches and falls down just like rain. Just watered them before I took them out so I'm going to turn it on in about an hour. I let it run for about 45 mins straight. My panthers LOVE IT. So I'm sure they will to.

(y)(y)There is more than enough heat outside. It's freaking hot here!! I really just want to make sure that there skin and eyes can handle the real deal sun. I've housed normal veileds outside before and they loved it. I also house some of my panthers outside too. The difference between being outside in the real sun vs being inside under artificial UVB is huge. Seems like they turn into bullet proof chameleons outside. Just imagine your chameleon inside under really good conditions. Awesome cage great UVB and your chameleon looks at its best. Well take um outside and you will see the difference pretty quick. It's a huge difference.
So that's the reason for this thread. I want them to go outside while they still can. Ive got another solid 2 months that I can do this.
I think I'll just stick them in the shade until someone can tell me for sure.
Thanks guys for your input so far(y)
I took care of a 13 foot albino Burmese Python for 4 years. We would take her outside to play in the grass. Her normal colors were yellow and white, but if she got too much sun, she would turn pink and be "sunburnt" for a little while. My advice would be to monitor them and look for signs of sun burn on the albino areas and to make sure that they have some shade/cover. You would think that they would leave the sun if they felt like they were getting burnt, but I've never dealt with or seen an albino chameleon until I saw your pictures. Good Luck!

:p Heeey

These guys need strong UVB. I go with Sunrays for all of my chameleons anyway as they have amazingly high output of uvb and give out good heat. They're an all in one. I've raised my other tranny veileds under Sunrays and they do great. Their colors just pop!

Think of a plant that has variegation or white on the leaves. Variegated plants need stronger light than just plain green plants as their leaves don't have the same amount of chlorophyll to convert the sunlight into energy. Their basically lacking pigment in those areas as are the chams. That being said, a Sunray or UVB 10.0 linear fluorescent is the best bet...or a combination of the two if you're mad paranoid.

These guys don't burn in the sun or anything and I treat mine as any other cham. They have shade to get out of the sun when they feel like it.

But I don't think you need to worry about those anymore, eh?

But...(and please bear with me as I have never kept a translucent herp) skin pigments are also protective. I don't think a cham's skin color function can really be compared to a plant's chlorophyll content and its ability to generate energy. A cham's skin doesn't really do that. A cham's color changes a lot of the time...consider how it darkens to help absorb HEAT. I don't think the skin coloration affects their ability to absorb and metabolize D3 and calcium. I think I would be cautious at first and monitor them for "burns" in the unpigmented areas. We all know that chams actually don't have many heat sensors in the skin and that they do get thermal burns under focused lights. Maybe the heat from real sunlight doesn't burn them, but the UV level of the sun might.

Back
Top Bottom