Summertime Daytime Apt Temp.

NosyBe15

Hey Everyone.

Recently my apt building decided to chop down a tree that was in front of the building. They replaced it with some others, but since they cut down the big one, my apt is no longer in shade for the whole second half of the day. I use to be lucky, the tree would block most of the sun and my apt would stay somewhat cool in the summertime. (I dont have central air, just a crappy in-wall unit in the living room and a portable for the bedrooms) Now since they cut the tree, the day time temps in my apt are reaching the upper 80's. I would say 85-88 on average. Even when its really hot outside. At night its getting down to around 70-75.

I keep a window open (not the best idea in my area) to try to keep it manageable, and turn on the air for a bit when I go home on my lunches. But the daytime temp looks like its going to be in the upper 80's.

My (screen) cages are away from the windows, in a darker corner, and they are close to a big fish tank that I have, which helps keep the humidity up. My lights run on a 12/12 timer, and I have an automatic mister set.

Does anyone think this could be an issue later on in the summer? I live in So Cal, so it can get a bit hot for a month or so. I am hoping that since I get the temp down when I get home from work (6pmish) that it will be ok.

My only other option would be to move them into my bedroom where I could keep it really dark, preventing any sunlight from getting in, and setting my AC to turn on for an hour in the middle of the day... But then again, I dont know if I want 2 Cham's in the bedroom. hahaha.

I don't think it would be that big of a deal.. When you ambient temp is close to the 80s in your apt, how high does that rise your basking temps to? That happens to me in the summer as well, and what I do is buy a lower wattage bulb to keep the basking temps from getting too hot. That can be an option. I don't think an ambient temp of 80 degrees or so would be unhealthy for your cham, especially if you mist frequently then your cham will take showers to cool off if need be.

last time I checked the basking in his cage is sitting around 95. he has 3 different layers to bask. But thinking about it. I use the Zoo Med Daytime Blue 60w for the bask. I think I have seen a 40W. Couldnt hurt moving to that I guess.

last time I checked the basking in his cage is sitting around 95. he has 3 different layers to bask. But thinking about it. I use the Zoo Med Daytime Blue 60w for the bask. I think I have seen a 40W. Couldnt hurt moving to that I guess.

if you want more options for wattage you can always switch over to regular house bulbs. That's what I use, and I believe many others as well. They're cheaper and do the job just fine. I try to keep my guys' basking temp around 85-95.. Preferably in between

reduce the wattage of your heat bulb (40watt, 25watt or whatever makes sense), or turn it off altogether on hot days. I wouldnt want the ambient temp over 80F on a regular basis. If it is, leave the AC on.

Maybe invest in a thermostat for the window ac unit and set it at 80. That would be better than keeping it on all day and make sure your chams are happy.

Demanded a new one

Hey Everyone.

I actually have some good news. I told them I wasnt going to pay rent, (due on the 5th) until they get me a new AC.

They came in and looked at it and said it was ok. I laughed and said no new AC no rent. Ive been at this place for 12 years, crazy I had to act like this.

Anyway....

New AC will be installed Wednesday. Hopefully it has some type of timer where I can set it to go off every couple hours.

WOHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom