Suggestion for future contest entries

lele

Avid Member
Hi all,

I would like to make an entry suggestion - have a theme. I cannot take credit for the idea, it is what beardeddragon.org does. Each month they have a set theme (actually two), such as sleeping in funny positions; gaping; bd with other animals (Darwin and Kyndra, my cat, won that last year :p ); etc. Then they have a second one where they will accept photoshopped and other altered photos. Their March contest for the latter category was St. Patrick's Day - some clever pics, go check them out.

Now chameleons do not do the same weird things that bd's do, but we could have one month of hatchlings (or under 3 months or other age), sleeping, weird positions (like when they do splits on branches!), shooting, resting colors, fired up colors. One month could be males only another females only. Lots of ideas (and I don't think BD site would get too upset if we got some ideas from their past contests).

I think this would make it more fair for entrants and easier to vote on. We could do two a month (maybe only one would win something) with one focusing on real quality photography. When we have just a mix of pics it makes it very hard to decide because we don't have a basis on which to judge.

Just some ideas...:D

lele & Cy

447661757_2073609feb.jpg

I like this idea. It makes it easier to focus on choosing a pic during voting. Also, it encourages everyone to go out and take more pics.

Personally, I think I prefer the variety that the current system provides. However, I am open to having occasional contest themes. As chamgirl mentioned above, we did have a veiled only contest last year. Trying something new could be a lot of fun. Maybe we should collect a few of the more popular ideas and have a vote. I could not find any info on a photo contest at beardeddragon.org.

Hi all,
I think this would make it more fair for entrants and easier to vote on.
I like this idea. It makes it easier to focus on choosing a pic during voting. Also, it encourages everyone to go out and take more pics.
I am not sure I agree that it would make it easier to vote or more fair on entrants. Marc does make a good point though that themes would encourage members to take new photos.

The trick is to have a "theme" that doesn't apply to any less keepers. IE, a specific species, or outdoor photos, Males only, females only, or something like that. Those cut down on the number of entries. Rather have thems such as:

-"My Chameleon and I" (self portaits)
-"Chameleon and Prey"
-"Yoga Positions"
-"Camoflauge"
-"Photo of the Cage"

Anyone have additional ideas? I am open to doing something different for the November contest.

As a photographer myself, it seems like most of our entries are based already on either

a) a cham in a funny pose or seeming to display a funny attitude.
b) a somewhat uninteresting shot of a brilliantly colored cham

(I'll make the prediction now that the cham with the fly on it's nose this month will win - hands down - no contest.)

It seems like we could already break those two groups up. Funny poses, and brilliant colors. Some people are just taking picture of their gorgeous "show chams" and they are gorgeous, and then they get beat by a cham doing a handstand that was a product of right place right time.

I'd love to see a contest that would encourage more creativity, but I'm biased.This guy comes to mind:
http://photo.net/photos/siwanowicz
If you scroll through all the bugs you'll see a few great cham pictures.

As a photographer myself, it seems like most of our entries are based already on either

a) a cham in a funny pose or seeming to display a funny attitude.
b) a somewhat uninteresting shot of a brilliantly colored cham

(I'll make the prediction now that the cham with the fly on it's nose this month will win - hands down - no contest.)

It seems like we could already break those two groups up. Funny poses, and brilliant colors. Some people are just taking picture of their gorgeous "show chams" and they are gorgeous, and then they get beat by a cham doing a handstand that was a product of right place right time.

I'd love to see a contest that would encourage more creativity, but I'm biased.This guy comes to mind:
http://photo.net/photos/siwanowicz
If you scroll through all the bugs you'll see a few great cham pictures.

Splitting the contest into multiple contests is a good idea and definitely worth considering. Currently, however, I spend too much time on the contest. I would like to see this improved in some way before adding more complexity (time) to the equation. Until I can streamline the current process, I was looking more for 'themes' similar to Lele's suggestions above.

I am a little confused by the comments you made, can you be more specific? You predict that a creative photo will win this month, "hands down", but then later you state that you would love to see a contest that would encourage more creativity.

I'm no professional or even an experienced photographer but isn't that somewhat the point of many photos? Catching a really cool pose or event or colouration that isn't normally seen? I would think that anybody with the right equipment and photography experience could take a nice clear close up of their cham or setup but the magic is when you get a clear pic of that special or bizarre moment.

Anyhow ... that's just the way that I see it. I kind of like the idea of themes and think it would add a level of creativity to the pics people take.

Dyesub Dave. :D

I think it might be interesting to have like a fall/Thanksgiving type theme for November, and then maybe a Winter/Holiday/Christmas theme for December.

I think what Royden was trying to say, or what I would say, was/is that the favorites usually seem to be kitch. People seem to prefer, "awwwww, look at the little baby" over a well composed photograph. I guess it boils down to personal preference, and if that is the popular theme then so be it. We certainly do not want to create more work for Brad. But it would be nice to somehow have a standard of what is wanted for the contest.

Personally, I think a picture of a Chameleon with a santa hat on would be cheesy.

In my opinion, the best THEME contests are ones that are not limiting which people can enter- based on what chameleons they keep.

Ie, no Baby photo contests, because nto everyone has a baby chameleon, or no Veiled chameleon only contests.

Etc etc. Just a thought for those suggesting contest themes.

I am a little confused by the comments you made, can you be more specific? You predict that a creative photo will win this month, "hands down", but then later you state that you would love to see a contest that would encourage more creativity.

Hey Brad, sorry I haven't got caught up on this thread.

The fly on the nose is a creative shot but, (no offense to the photgrapher who took it) it's not a product of creativity. I'm pretty sure the photographer didn't say "I know I'll put a fly on the nose of the cham.." The situation happened; the owner had a camera and took the shot.

Yes, good photography is about both being at the right place at the right time, and having the skill to capture it. But even greater skill comes with taking the every day ordinary shots and reminding people about why it's great to be alive, or in this case why we're involvoed in this hobby. If you can take a shot of a cham just sitting their basking and making an incredible photo out of it (color/lighting/composition/depth of field), that impresses me more than an "awwww, look at his funny position".

I would think that anybody with the right equipment and photography experience could take a nice clear close up of their cham...
Dyesub Dave. :D

That's that weirdest thing about photography Dave. Two photographers can got to he same shoot with the exact same equipment with the exact same lighting and the exact same model, and they come away from the shoot with two entirely different portfolio's. You'd think it was as easy as point it shoot. From my experience - it aint.

These are just my personal opinions and I am by no means a pro. I make my living by creating art, photography is still a "dabbling" area. And if this isn't the direction we want to go, that's absolutely fine with me.

I'd love to see themes based on species I think. Brevs, veileds, panthers etc. Not everyone can participate, but it's really hard to judge an incredible shot of a brev against a fired up ambilobe or whatever. Sorry Will I know that's comepletely the opposite of what you just said.

just my two cents. please don't take any offense, anyone, to my critique or opinion. I'll continue to participate in submission and voting whatever direction we go with photo contests. It's all for fun.

Last edited:
I'd love to see themes based on species I think. Brevs, veileds, panthers etc. Not everyone can participate, but it's really hard to judge an incredible shot of a brev against a fired up ambilobe or whatever. Sorry Will I know that's comepletely the opposite of what you just said.

I'll stick my 2 cents back in here, too. I agree with the themes. As for not everyone being able to enter every single month, well so be it. There is always next month. Royden's right when he says how hard it is to judge a brev against a fired up panther. Frankly, I get tired of seeing all the fired up panthers. :eek: OK, I can hear the screaming now, but it's true. Maybe we need a "Fired up Panther" month, or maybe a monthly theme along with a Fired Up Panther EVERY month in order to accommodate all the Fired Up Panther pics(!) maybe that would work. :D

I think the "awww, isn't that cute" factor is necessary, so yes one month hatchlings, another sleeping, another acrobatic poses, tongue shots, etc. and here's one that could be fun - expressions ;)

I think the "awww, isn't that cute" factor is necessary, so yes one month hatchlings, another sleeping, another acrobatic poses, tongue shots, etc. and here's one that could be fun - expressions ;)

Yeah I totally agree. I still think we need to have those fun "caught the moment" photos. They are the most entertaining.

Themed Photo Contest

I have several theme suggestions for future months' photo contest that would not limit the number of entries while spicing up the contest a bit.

• Sleeping shots
  • Head shots
  • Basking shots
  • Angry shots
  • Eyes directly looking at you shots
  • Dangling from a branch shots

These are some that I can think of. What do you think?

Last edited:
After all the theme talk, I have decided not to use one for the November contest. I apologize to everyone looking forward to a theme this month.

As previously announced, this is the last scheduled photo contest for the year. To give everyone a fair chance in the 'best of 2007' poll, I want people to have the opportunity to enter their favorite photo.

Theme suggestions for future contests are still welcome and appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom