Sudden Change in Behavior??

caseywagz

Earlier today, as with every day, I took out my veiled to let him roam around the room and explore. No issues with the handling, came right out to me and went on his way. I went down to help my parents for about 30 minutes, and when I came back up to put him back in his cage, the instant he saw me he puffed up real big, open mouth, dark colors, and hissing. He's been acting like that for the past few hours, and I have no idea why! He got his crickets and water, so I am not understanding why he is acting like I am such a threat. Do chameleons have adolescence like teens do? He is almost a year old, so I am not sure what is causing this rapid change in behavior. Any advice would help, thanks all!

Couple thoughts -

You left him to free roam a room with the door closed.
What if he had been up against the door when you opened it?

Second, on the greeting he gave you when you did come back in the room.
To his point of view, were you towering over him when you approached him?
Just wondering if when coming out of his enclosure, you are more on his level;
but when you came back you were maybe a threat from above?

it happens....luckily not to me(yet) sometimes you can bond with them and they'll be friendly for life but sometimes you cant do anything about and they'll be mean. It's just how their circuited its just their natural instinct
+1 (y) They're all different, and like Forrest Gump's box-o-chocolates. :unsure:

Sorry everyone, I did not check this post until today! To respond to a few of you at once;

-I probably did startle him upon coming back into my room
- He was actually above my head quite a bit on the curtains, so I was not towering above him
- I do not allow my cat into the room, so there was nothing else that could've been in there alone with him

And since it's been a few days, and I gave him a day to just cool down from his mood swing, he is back to the happy and friendly chameleon I know! Lemme show y'all some pics of his grumpy mood and then his happy old-self mood a fews days later:

IMG_1877.PNG
IMG_1876.JPG

Back
Top Bottom