substrates for baby chams?

Purpur

what is the best substrate for a baby veiled cham? she is only about three inches long with her tail curled up. right now she has reptile carpet, but I was wondering if this is the best option. all opinions are welcome, thanks!

I don't use substrate.

If I wanted to- I'd use paper towel for your size chameleon.

But insects will crawl under paper towel or reptile carpet and hide.

Substrate especially for babies is not recommended because of the many health risks with the exception of pygmy chameleons. Paper towel is best and if your using a screen cage, you can easily set up a drainage system.

nothing is 100% safe? I just worry about her getting stranded on the bottom as it is a glass bottom, and she wouldn't be able to get a grip on anything. Am I just being an over worrying cham mommy?

nothing is 100% safe? I just worry about her getting stranded on the bottom as it is a glass bottom, and she wouldn't be able to get a grip on anything. Am I just being an over worrying cham mommy?

If you would like some piece of mind you could use paper towels as said before. Although it might just get annoying changing them out all the time, but yes paper towels are safe.

What size and kind of glass cage are you using?

exo tera terrarium, 18x18x24

this is tempoary, just until winter is over as my house does run cold and the glass helps keep her temp up. Then she will move into a mesh cage.

If it worries you, why not use some plastic shelf-liner? It would be easy to clean, lies flat against the bottom, and would give her a little more traction if she needed it.

Yeah I think you are just worrying too much. Just make sure a vine or plant is at the bottom so the cham can make it's way around the cage freely and that should take away your fear of the cham being stuck at the bottom hehe.

ok. I just love her so much, I want her to be ok, and happy and healthy :D I saw her eat a cricket the other day, and I was so excited...Know she's eating now. Cause she likes to hunt her food down. She is still figuring out the cup and tongs and hands offend her :D She's a picky little princess.

Use whatever substrate you wish ! Whatever suites your vivarium. Watch the carpet stuff and their toes/nails getting caught up. Lots of folks use bare bottom because it's easy to clean, crickets cant hide, although it does nothing for humidity retention, obviously. It's just sterile and easy.

I, for one, used to raise all of my baby veiled and panthers on soil. That was bare none a better substrate for babies raised in a low humidity environment. Little more high maintenance.

Shea Peterson

We used reptile carpet to begin with, but it soon began to smell so thought we'd wash it but unfortunately it shrank, so have now given up on any substrate which seems to be the best option.

I, for one, used to raise all of my baby veiled and panthers on soil.

I've heard that it's a bad idea to use soil or loose substrate of any kind in a chameleon cage, as they may accidentally ingest it and possibly cause impaction. It's gotta get a little stinky too no?

I've heard that it's a bad idea to use soil or loose substrate of any kind in a chameleon cage, as they may accidentally ingest it and possibly cause impaction. It's gotta get a little stinky too no?

Dehydration and general poor health are much bigger factors in impaction than the loose, particulate substrate itself. Take for example a lizard that is severely calcium deficient, since it doesn't have enough calcium in the body to contract the muscles of the gut (calcium is used in the nerve signals to muscles) even just a good meal of crunchy insect shells could potentially create a blockage, since nothing is helping to move it along. Healthy animals can pass a mouthful of soil or sand without much ado, in the vast majority of cases (like my one dog, who eats dirt but what landed him in the hospital was a man's gym sock.)

Paper towels, on the other hand, like the sock, are probably more risky. They are meant to stay intact at all costs, even in water, have a texture, and a large enough piece creates a lot of drag. Not to scare anyone, since paper towels also don't break away into pieces very easily lol But certain every-day products may not be as safe or dangerous as we first think.

That said, I keep bare floors in my cham cages just due to the sheer amount of water I go through. Much easier to clean and maintain sterile.

I have used soil (not potting mix) in the past with senegals. I currently use ABG mix with two Jackson's.

There is no smell at all. I have nice populations of springtails and isopods that eat all of the waste. This substrate helps keep humidity high. If I kept pygmies, this is the only substrate I'd ever consider because of supporting the microfauna.

If you're that worried about impaction, just cup feed:)

Back
Top Bottom