stud service

PICHISPYTHONS

this question is for some of you breeders out there that are familiar with studding their males.

whats the proper way to tax/charge someone who has a female chameleon and wants your male to be the sire to their babies.im thinking more along the lines of 50/50.thats half the eggs for him and half the eggs for me but the guy im doing this deal with is thinking WAY less than that.id like to hear some of yalls experience to help me decide whats truly fair for the both of us in this situtaion.id like some of our big breeders to input on this as i will be using this thread in my debate with him.

thanx!!!

Even tho my help isn't about chameleons, it might help!

My father has been a breeder of champion hunting dogs for a long time, when he hires out one of his males as a stud, he gets either 25% of the pups, or the cash that the same amount of pups would bring. Since the person with the female has more work involved once she delivers, they keep the larger %.

It might be different with the cham EGGS. Would you be taking the eggs right after she lays them and incubate them yourself, or get your % of hatchlings?

I don't know what is normal, but there is so much involved in the care of gravid females and the keeping of the eggs I would think even 25% is too much. If my male impregnated a female I would be happy with a male and female pick of the litter at 2 months.

Wouldn't it be better to have your own mating pair?

I would think 50% is asking far too much. The female does all the work and takes 99% of the health risk. The person incubating the eggs and who ensures fruit fly cultures are ready and waiting at the right moment is also working while you and your male are not (unless you are taking the eggs from the beginning). I personally would be satisfied with one to three 2 month old hatchlings (depends on how many eggs are laid and survive/hatch) if my male was stud. A friend of mine and I expect to trade stud services next year (his male visiting one of my females, my male visiting one of his females) and we'll swap unhatched eggs, 50 -50, but thats because we both are providing the same equal services, or rather our animals are.

Howdy,

Dinner and a movie? :)

Actually, by the time that they all hatch and he sees the food bill, he'll be begging you to take half of them :eek:.

It is more effort to take care of the female but watch out for parasites passed back to the male (and of course the other direction too.) My Veiled went out on a "date" and came back with coccidia. It took me many months to clear it from his system :eek:. I didn't think that I'd ever get it all. That freebie date cost me vet bills and a lot of stress to both my Veiled and me. I let my old Veiled do it for free just to give him the chance to propagate (No fertile eggs in the end anyway!) :(. No more of that :). I did learn a lot about coccidia. Now that I recall, I did get a couple of nice lunches too :D.

25% including pick of the litter at 2.5-3 mo. sounds fair to me.
However, I'll offer up my male bluebar ambanja from a great bloodline for pic + one female.

50/50 Get the eggs as soon as they are dropped. That way you are responsible for the hatching and caring if they are fertile. If they are infertile, tough toenails...you both have to try again.

There really isn't more work involved for a female, especially when you are dealing with just ONE chameleon. Both the Male and the Female require daily care. Neither of you can have eggs without the other, so i see it as a 50/50 split.

If the owner of the male doesn't want eggs, and wants to wait until they hatch, or they are bigger, my opinion (which is usually worthless) would be

Hatchlings, as in JUST born, 20-25%

Anything older than that I think you should be happy chosing a male and a female, since you really had NO role, and would basically be getting the cash equivalent of anywhere from 250-600 bucks for your stud service.

Either way, make sure you have enough fruitflies.

50/50 Get the eggs as soon as they are dropped. That way you are responsible for the hatching and caring if they are fertile. If they are infertile, tough toenails...you both have to try again.

There really isn't more work involved for a female, especially when you are dealing with just ONE chameleon. Both the Male and the Female require daily care. Neither of you can have eggs without the other, so i see it as a 50/50 split.

If the owner of the male doesn't want eggs, and wants to wait until they hatch, or they are bigger, my opinion (which is usually worthless) would be

Hatchlings, as in JUST born, 20-25%

Anything older than that I think you should be happy chosing a male and a female, since you really had NO role, and would basically be getting the cash equivalent of anywhere from 250-600 bucks for your stud service.

Either way, make sure you have enough fruitflies.

I would have to say that sounds like the most logical approach. Great post Josh!

I have my 2.5 yr old male Nosy Mitsio "Apollo" aka "GT3" from SCREAMELEONS.

Got him checked out a few weeks back. He's doing great.

Anybody want to do a breeding loan?

I got a more than fair deal for the female keepers.

PM me if interested.

Pichi:
I say 1st and 3rd pick pick of the litter (2nd going to female's mama/papa). Personally I wouldn't do a loan with someone I don't know and who isn't within driving distances. Shipping a cham just to mate can be stressful. Also one more thing, make sure you have a written contract of some sort. If you've ever been to the kingsnake forums, these breeding projects can be a hassle and in most cases (especially with snakes) results in theft of the male. Also if it wasn't for lack of funds, I would have bought your female ambanja already. =(

Colorcham:
You know GT3 was my favorite on screameleons website. I ended up with Maurice's daughter and Goblins's son.

i have a deal worked out with a friend, he bought the female i have the male. i take care of his female though. im taking a couple more then half. im hatching them out too so. whatever hatches, lets say 20 im taking 12 and giving him 8. but thats just because im taking care of both. like josh said (lost lake chameleons) 50/50 is good. it also depends on who wants the eggs more. if he needs your male more then you need his female get what you want. leverage! or if you just want to be a nice guy just work out a deal you both can agree on.

Back
Top Bottom