Stretching And Twisting After Eating

Metal725

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Male, Veiled Chameleon. 3 Months Old.
Handling - Almost daily. Usually climbs out when the cage is open while im feeding or cleaning.
Feeding - Pinhead-Small Crickets. 10-15 a day
Supplements - Calcium Daily, Alternating Sundays with D3 and Multi-Vitamin
Watering - Misting 3 times a day
Fecal Description - Brown poop with white urate

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 18x12x24 screen cage.
Lighting - 5.0 reptisun bulb with 50w basking light. 12 hours on 12 hours off
Temperature - 85-90 in basking spot and drops to 70 at night.
Humidity - 40-60%
Plants - Plastic
Placement - About 3 feet off the floor in our spare bedroom
Location - SF Bay Area

Current Problem - So on Sunday i gave Waldo what i thought was a small enough Dubia Roach and it took him 5-10 minutes to actually swallow it. He was twisting and stretching and opening his mouth to clear the roach and i was terrified that he wasnt going to be able to get it down. He finally got it down and moved on to the rest of the crickets in the cage. Ive have been feeding him 10-15 pinhead crickets daily and recently bumped him up to small crickets. The Dubia was about the size of a small cricket so i didnt think there would be a problem. I have noticed that since i have been giving him bigger feeders, he has a nice little belly on him. 3 days later (today) i noticed that he was still doing the body twist but not nearly as bad as he did with the roach. Now my question is, is he getting use to the bigger food and thats why he is acting a little different while eating? Is he uncomfortable because his belly has gotten a little bigger? I saw another thread on here that said he may be ready to shed and could be uncomfortable. It has been about a month and a half since his last shed. I also switched from Exo-Terra Calcium to Repashy Calcium Plus. Could this have changed the consistency of the food and made it harder to go down? He is still active, still has white urates and brown poop. I clean the cage daily just to make sure he wasnt blocked up due to the roach. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am not sure what the stretching and twisting might mean. I know it is recommended that feeder insects only be as big as the space between the cham's eyes. I do think Dubia's are a little more difficult for them to chew up though. My guy can swallow crickets easily and some times he gets one that is on the larger side but handles it without a problem. Crickets are narrower tail to head while Dubia's seem to be the same either way. I also think their shell is a little tougher than crickets are. I think I read that Dubia's shells are softer immediately after they molt (they are white in color or a lighter color) than when their shells darken. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom