Stressed Chameleon

Wally

I already posted this in general discussions now I'll post it here. I need some advice on this issue. Thanks.
I noticed yesterday evening that My Chameleon was closing his eyes during the day. I learned this morning that that is a bad thing and means its stressed or something is wrong. I'm not even sure what type of Chameleon he or she is yet. The pet shop owner said it was a Graceful but I'm not sure now having looked at pictures of Graceful's online. I have pictures now if you do a search for Wally you should find his picture as well as the picture of his home. I"m going to give all the information about his husbandry now as was requested and possibly somebody could help. Temp ranges right now without any lights on about 72-74. I thought I needed to leave his light on at night to help keep him warm but maybe that wasn't such a good idea now I'm not sure. I did notice at night he would get lower in his aquarium on a plant I have in there. Humidity is about 62 in the aquarium right now maybe it should be higher? I have an 150 Watt heat bulb, and a 120 volt uvb bulb. The uvb bulb is one of those new convoluted energy saving bulbs the ones that are built all wrapped around each other. I read in the threads that this bulb is not a good bulb for providing the uvb that a chameleon needs. Perhaps that could be part of the problem? I mist about three or four times a day and have observed Wally drink and he seems to eat well on crickets. I'm not gut-loading the crickets yet though I am thinking about it. Any help on this issue would be very appreciated. Thank you very much.

Please do not double post. Thanks :)

You may want to post more details on your setup. You mention a 150 watt heat bulb; what kind of heat is that producing? Is your uvb bulb made for indoor reptiles? Most people use a simple reptisun 5.0. Check out this link for suggestions on what info to include in a post like this: [THREAD=66]How to ask for help[/THREAD].

I saw a picture in your gallery, but I'm not sure what species it is. Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable gurus will post.

Last edited:
Stressed Chameleon!

This is an interesting tidbit I turned on the light while my Chameleon was in his favorite perch up high in the bamboo plant. Hope thats a good plant to have in his aquarium? Anyway immediately he started moving lower towards the other side of the aquarium where the light is not so intense. I have a 32 inch by 181/2 inch aquarium. Plenty of room for him I think. Also I noticed since I turned on the light the humidity level goes way down to about 50. Should I spray more then? Thanks

Do you have any idea what your temperatures are? It is my guess that a 150 watt light in an aquarium would be too hot.

Temp and Humidity

I'm observing my Chameleon now. Temp at basking spot is 74 when the light is not directly over it. I have been moving the light around to see how the Chameleon would act. He seems to not like to be directly under it. Where the light is most intense the temp is about 78. Humidity after a heavy misting is about 92 on floor level. Thanks.

The humidity sounds pretty high, really. You said that you have him in an aquarium? Chameleons should be kept in a screened enclosure. The glass keeps the air stale and too humid and can quickly cause upper respiratory infections as well as fungal and bacterial problems. Glass cages quickly overheat also, though at 74 your basking spot temperature seems low (though this depends on species.. this really needs to be your first priority right now). They also stress the chameleon out by allowing them to see their reflection, which they see as another chameleon in their territory.

Can you fill this form out about your husbandry?

Cage Info:
Cage Type - What kind of cage are you using? What is the size?
Lighting - What kind of lighting are you using? How long do you keep the lights on during the day?
Temperature - What temperature range have you created? Basking spot temp? What is the temperature at night?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Location - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What kind of schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What are you dusting your feeders with and what kind of schedule do you use?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

Well I have misted him a few times today and both times I did he drank and seemed to drink quite a bit. He is moving around now and seems to be generally happy. Thanks. I'm keeping a close eye on him though

I just cleaned out his cage and I'm waiting for the temps to equal out. But what I have read online for a Jackson's the temperatures should be about 70 to 80 F. The basking temperature should not be above 85. Humidity actually has a large range between 50 and 80 right now it appears to be at 60. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom