Stress???

MichelleNFrankie

Just wondering why my chameleon has recently started doing this, see pic. He used to be calm from what I saw when I opened the cage door or held him, he's never puffed up like that with me until recently, he also opens his mouth wide when he does this sometimes but no noise comes out??? I did give him his first shower the other day and the very next day he started doing this and still does it off and on. I do have 2 indoor dogs and I've noticed he does it when they are in the room with us. This is my first chameleon so I'm not sure what it means when he puffs up like this. Is it stress or is he being territorial? :confused:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 179
It is pretty normal. It isn't stress colors, but he is getting big to look like he shouldn't be messed with. My veiled does this once in a while when the cats are nearby, and will also just show off sometimes.

Mbd

Hi, I do not want to alarm anyone, but is that front leg showing signs of MBD? Maybe a more knowledgeable person could check it out. I am trying to learn to identify those signs.

Hi, I do not want to alarm anyone, but is that front leg showing signs of MBD? Maybe a more knowledgeable person could check it out. I am trying to learn to identify those signs.

I agree, his casque looks also deformed. I wish it won't be worse, he needs calcium and uvb, d3. :(

I've already taken him to the vet, I got him from Petsmart and as you know they don't take care of there reptiles there but I've put him on liquid calcium, he is getting plenty of d3 and uvb. But thanks for letting me know, in case I wasn't aware of that.

He is going to get better if I give him his daily calcium and d3 twice a month right??? Please don't tell this is not curable, his vet said he would get better if I give him his daily liquid calcium, dust his crickets with calcium dust and give him calcium with d3 twice a month and of course his reptisun 10.0 because of the large cage.
Another question is can I inject waxworms or another kind with his liquid calcium? If so how do I do this? I have such a hard time getting his medicine in his mouth.

cham

Sounds like you are doing everything you need to do. Try getting him in the sun, when you can. Best wishes.

Here's another pic of him, as you can see he's not really that bad, he's doing much much better since I got him, when he sits low on his vines you can see it better.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 154
He's young, it's early stages. Don't freak out. Animals can detect stress in their keepers. Just go about doing the correct husbandry. Add the best gutloads you can afford to your feeders. Vary your feeders. Get him outside as much as possible. Change out your uvb bulb every 6 (12) months, depending on which you have. All will be well. :)

Great and thank you for the advice!!! I worry about him all the time, this is my first, I just want to do everything right and keep him healthy.:)

Great and thank you for the advice!!! I worry about him all the time, this is my first, I just want to do everything right and keep him healthy.:)

I know just how you feel. I got my first cham a month ago and I worry about her all the time. But I've learned so much from these forums it's made me a little bit more confident in caring for her.

Back
Top Bottom