Strange female question?

MissSkittles

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I’ve been waiting and waiting for Grumpy to lay her eggs. Last/only time she did, it happened about 3 weeks after she was receptive. This time it’s been going on 7 weeks or so and no signs of being ready other than her weight is up to 105 Gm from her usual of mid 70‘s and the 94 Gm weigh from last month. Although her weight has increased, she actually looks less lumpy than she did a month ago.
Stella was receptive a few weeks ago and her belly is so big she rests it on her branch. Her weight is 96 Gm and she has been looking lumpy for quite awhile.
Both are still as active as usual and get even more so when they realize it’s feeding time. The only behavior change I see is Grumpy is spending less time basking and more time on the branches below her favorite basking one.
While both are in the same room and only about 5-6 feet apart, they are unable to see each other. I’ve also made sure they can’t really see the leopard geckos.
All of this makes me wonder...can/do captive female chameleons synchronize their fertility cycles the same as human females who share living space? It’s almost as though Grumpy is slowing her cycle and Stella is accelerating hers.

So I’ve been waiting and waiting for Grumpy to lay her eggs. Last/only time she did, it happened about 3 weeks after she was receptive. This time it’s been going on 7 weeks or so and no signs of being ready other than her weight is up to 105 Gm from her usual of mid 70‘s and the 94 Gm weigh from last month. Although her weight has increased, she actually looks less lumpy than she did a month ago.
Stella was receptive a few weeks ago and her belly is so big she rests it on her branch. Her weight is 96 Gm and she has been looking lumpy for quite awhile.
Both are still as active as usual and get even more so when they realize it’s feeding time. The only behavior change I see is Grumpy is spending less time basking and more time on the branches below her favorite basking one.
While both are in the same room and only about 5-6 feet apart, they are unable to see each other. I’ve also made sure they can’t really see the leopard geckos.
All of this makes me wonder...can/do captive female chameleons synchronize their fertility cycles the same as human females who share living space? It’s almost as though Grumpy is slowing her cycle and Stella is accelerating hers.
Good question !!. I wondered this my self phoeb’s and clelia are next to each other . They can’t see each other at all . Clelia laid with in weeks of us being her home , phoeb’s will be 2 tomorrow and has not laid . About 3 weeks ago phoeb’s had a major attitude change . Nothing with her environment has . I had her x-rayed and sure enough eggs . Today I noticed clelia looking to have some very very pretty colors . We shall see .

Perhaps one cham releases pheromones which then signals/triggers the other that it’s time to start the fertility cycle. :unsure: As most veileds (in the wild) don’t survive past one year I would imagine that all the sensory cues possible would be helpful to ensure the species survival. @Kristen Wilkins we’ll just have to see what our ladies do now and in the future.

Perhaps one cham releases pheromones which then signals/triggers the other that it’s time to start the fertility cycle. :unsure: As most veileds (in the wild) don’t survive past one year I would imagine that all the sensory cues possible would be helpful to ensure the species survival. @Kristen Wilkins we’ll just have to see what our ladies do now and in the future.
I can't REALLY speak to the veiled aspect, but my panthers did this just recently. My one girl was too young to have her first clutch, or so I thought. She laid 30 eggs at 5.5 months. Within days, my 1 year old girl laid 25 eggs. They are adjacent as well(no line of sight).

My veiled however, has shown receptive colorations for a long time. She has gotten bigger, but not massively so (she is a big girl to begin with). She hasn't all out rejected food - still wants silk and horn worms.

So, if nothing else, I don't think its trans-species.

Yes we shall , phoeb’s was still in the follicle stage . I pulled back to 2 feeding days , her temps are a bit lower then I like but she’s still very active , beautiful colors , Poop is fine . She is running at 79 . If her temps drop any lower I will add either a sec basking or a 100w . Clelia today looks her normal colors .

I can't REALLY speak to the veiled aspect, but my panthers did this just recently. My one girl was too young to have her first clutch, or so I thought. She laid 30 eggs at 5.5 months. Within days, my 1 year old girl laid 25 eggs. They are adjacent as well(no line of sight).

My veiled however, has shown receptive colorations for a long time. She has gotten bigger, but not massively so (she is a big girl to begin with). She hasn't all out rejected food - still wants silk and horn worms.

So, if nothing else, I don't think its trans-species.
The more and more I read the more I think possible .

Back
Top Bottom