strange eye observation

Professor

hello, my little veil has a strange eye situation. her left eye she is keeping closed a lot, i noticed that the color around the outer part of the black is larger in that eye than the right. Also when it is open it seems wrinkled around the edges. any ideas?! her light is 75 watt.

Please fill out this form regarding your cham problem

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about

Chameleon Info:
My Chameleon - Veil female, 6 months, had her for 5 months.
Handling - only during cleaning, moved to a new cage recently.
Feeding - feeding crickets, 3-5 small (1/4'' or smaller) a day, about 7pm lights off at 9, crickets get a greens, red bell, oranges mixed around.
Supplements - Repti calcium with D, about 2-3x a month
Watering - mist about 3x a day, drip system doesnt work great - just fixed pooling problem, have seen her drinking when misting and from drips.
Fecal Description - black piece with a white piece, seems to be a nice concistancy. she makes about 1 a day, sometimes over 2 days, never been to the vet for any tests
History - never any other problems, from what i can tell she is in good health all but the eye thing.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - all screen 38x18x18
Lighting -75watt not sure the brand, and a tube light for uva and uvb respectively.
Temperature -hot spot about 90 ish on average, low part about 75 ish on average. overnight will be about 78-82 F
Humidity - not sure on humidity levels
Plants - Schefflera arboricola
Placement - the cage is high away from vents and high traffic, the top of the cage is about a foot or so from the ceiling, from the floor to the top of the cage would be around 8-9 feet
Location - phoenix az

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about

hello, my little veil has a strange eye situation. her left eye she is keeping closed a lot, i noticed that the color around the outer part of the black is larger in that eye than the right. Also when it is open it seems wrinkled around the edges. any ideas?! her light is 75 watt.

sorry forgot the quote >.<

What kind of tube light for the uvb? There are many different kinds, and you could be using the wrong kind. Also you are not feeding enough. She should be getting atleast a dozen crickets or more a day at that age. You need to be dusting with plain calcium at every feeding and also get yourself a multivitamin to use a couple of times a month. You basking temp should be in the low 80's.

I was feeding her more(about 10 crickets a day), but then I was told to stop feeding her so much or she will get egg bound. when is the best time to cut back the food? i will look into best brands for the uvb and check what i got.

i dont really have a good picture of her, cause i have just been using my phone. but i will try to get one soon.

How big are the crickets?
Its been advised not to overfeed, but that leaves much to a new persons imagination.
Folk say x amount of x sized crickets a day, but advise variety in the diet.
Without working up a set menu, its a tough call.
Weighing your animal atleast once a month to ensure steady but not excessively rapid weight gain will provide you better data. Somebody here can no doubt give you a ballpark on weight by a certain age, but any lizards weight gain/growth will depend on a few variables, There is no exact amount you should feed its just not that simple, so you can see why weight monitoring is a sound idea.
My female yemen is also 6 months, and at last weigh in, somewhere around 90grams from memory.

I was told to stop feeding her so much or she will get egg bound. ..

An annoying vague and unspecific idea parroted by those either too lazy to explain, or who couldnt explain if they tried.

She will not necessarily become eggbound, its possible, yes, but this is extreme.
A female will make the most of abundant food supply and in turn, tend to produce more eggs than otherwise. Its exceptionally large clutches which pose the danger of distocia (eggbinding). Producing eggs requires considerable amounts of dietry calcium and other nutrients. The more eggs produced, the greater the females demand for calcium etc becomes.
As a result, this can lead to serious deficiency . One of the common problems associated with that is metabolic bone disorder, as calcium is leached for egg production.
The problem is that with a captive diet, more food does not equate to sufficient calcium
required as a result, even with suppliments, when the lizard is producing excessive large clutches.
Therefor maintaining your female on sufficient (no weight loss) but not excessive (too fat) diet, by monitoring weight is more reliable than concerns about how many crickets/ how big. :)

Still have no idea what you mean regards the 'black eye'.

What kind of tube light for the uvb? There are many different kinds, and you could be using the wrong kind. Also you are not feeding enough. She should be getting atleast a dozen crickets or more a day at that age. You need to be dusting with plain calcium at every feeding and also get yourself a multivitamin to use a couple of times a month. You basking temp should be in the low 80's.

the uvb is a zilla, and the uva basking lamp is a exotera. i have a 50w repto halogen brand uva also if that would be better? the basking temp at the hottest point is a little over 80 and mid to low 70's on the cool end.

The Zilla bulb may be the problem. Your lighting situation is very abnormal. I don't know if it will solve your eye problems but most people use a linear fluorescent tube 5.0 rating for uvb and a regular 40 or 60 watt lightbulb for heat.

Can anyone here suggest if it may be a vitamin related problem?

please give more information on your lighting. types of bulbs, age of bulbs and watts.

things that need to change ASAP:
Supplement schedule

another note: your chameleon needs to have a laying bin also. your cham is coming of age to possibly start producing eggs. as she starts producing eggs things that are important: is to give a correct amount of feeders, supplementing correctly and a egg laying bin. all play a huge role in her having the ability to pass the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom