Stomatitis????

Diana258

Hello there,

Had Benjy for over 2 months now and still struggling to get his problems sorted. So first I got him he had this weird growings on his mouth that started spreading and growing. Vets couldnt find what it was and his sample tests were negative for any bacteria or infection. It seems that they stoped growing and it looks like they are drying off. Now another problem came out- loss of apetite. He wasnt eating for 4-5 days straight. I thought that the reason could be -shedding. Ive tried mixing new bugs in his diet but he didnt seem too fussed about it. Today I offered him some hoppers and he looked very interested in them and when he was just about to catch it he stopped and started munchng nothing , just the way he does when he gets some water. So after that I had a look at his mouth and noticed some dark spots, please let me know if you think that it is stomatitis or anything else.
Ps. He is still active and drinks water. Not pooping well because hes not eating.
Will phone the vets tomorrow.

Thanks 20180110_193550.jpg

Attachments

• 20180110_201037.jpg
    20180110_201037.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 319
@Diana258 said..."sample tests were negative for any bacteria or infection"...and..."they stoped growing and it looks like they are drying off"...so it sounds like they are going to be ok.

You said..."when he was just about to catch it he stopped and started munchng nothing "...so did he extend the tongue part way and then draw it back without shooting it out? Can you tell if those little dark dotted areas are on the inside of his mouth were the other dry areas are?

What's your supplements schedule (how often do you dust with each supplements t)? What specific (brands, do they contain phosphorus, calcium, D3, prEformed or prOformed vitamin A, etc) do you dust the insects with? What are the basking temperatures? What do you specifically feed/gutload the insects with? What UV B light do you use (spiral, long linear, brand, etc)??

Thanks for your reply :))
You said..."when he was just about to catch it he stopped and started munching nothing "...so did he extend the tongue part way and then draw it back without shooting it out? No he did not extended it at all. Can you tell if those little dark dotted areas are on the inside of his mouth were the other dry areas are? It looks like its only on one side and its right on his teeth. It's not on the gums.

What's your supplements schedule (how often do you dust with each supplements t)? D3- once every 2 weeks, and calcium with every meal. What specific (brands, do they contain phosphorus, calcium, D3, prEformed or prOformed vitamin A, etc) do you dust the insects with?
D3 - https://www.bluelizardreptiles.co.u...ZSB-RO9SblWXbZqZi1wJlmgw38yQGeXkaAm7REALw_wcB
Calcium - http://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Calci-Dust.aspx

What are the basking temperatures? 30 Celsius, (86 F) What do you specifically feed/gutload the insects with? With salads, fruits and veg ( lettuce, cucumber, carrots, mango, bananas etc.) What UV B light do you use (spiral, long linear, brand, etc)?? Arcadia D3+ UV Flood 55w
https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/ar...aQcYkNaLA9QD9AnKsfknGHsHGLievC0YaAsNLEALw_wcB

Because the little brown marks inside his mouth along the teeth are right in line with the dry scab on the outside I'm wondering if they are related which is why I asked if there were the same kind of marks inside the mouth where the dry scabs are on the top lip.

Thanks for your reply :))
You said..."when he was just about to catch it he stopped and started munching nothing "...so did he extend the tongue part way and then draw it back without shooting it out? No he did not extended it at all. Can you tell if those little dark dotted areas are on the inside of his mouth were the other dry areas are? It looks like its only on one side and its right on his teeth. It's not on the gums.

What's your supplements schedule (how often do you dust with each supplements t)? D3- once every 2 weeks, and calcium with every meal. What specific (brands, do they contain phosphorus, calcium, D3, prEformed or prOformed vitamin A, etc) do you dust the insects with?
D3 - https://www.bluelizardreptiles.co.u...ZSB-RO9SblWXbZqZi1wJlmgw38yQGeXkaAm7REALw_wcB
Calcium - http://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Calci-Dust.aspx

What are the basking temperatures? 30 Celsius, (86 F) What do you specifically feed/gutload the insects with? With salads, fruits and veg ( lettuce, cucumber, carrots, mango, bananas etc.) What UV B light do you use (spiral, long linear, brand, etc)?? Arcadia D3+ UV Flood 55w
https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/ar...aQcYkNaLA9QD9AnKsfknGHsHGLievC0YaAsNLEALw_wcB

About the vitamins, : your little boys gonna probably need more than just calcium and D3, probably Vitamin A (preformed source) for now you can buy vitamin A pills in a pharmacy. Open the pills and dip one feeder in the oil. Careful with that.. vitamin A can be toxic if you give too much (like vit D3) so go slowly!

What feeder are you using?

About the vitamins, : your little boys gonna probably need more than just calcium and D3, probably Vitamin A (preformed source) for now you can buy vitamin A pills in a pharmacy. Open the pills and dip one feeder in the oil. Careful with that.. vitamin A can be toxic if you give too much (like vit D3) so go slowly!

What feeder are you using?
Thanks for reply! I will buy some multivitamins with vitamin A.
Im giving him crickets and lockusts mainly, sometimes wax, morio worms as well. When I was force feeding him yesterday he was munching it like nothing was wrong, which made me thinking maybe the problem is his tongue? and was thinking, as he has hard time eating should I try and give him crested geckos diet for couple of days?
By the way he is still very active, made a big poo today which looked healthy and started shedding around his mouth.

Thanks for reply! I will buy some multivitamins with vitamin A.
Im giving him crickets and lockusts mainly, sometimes wax, morio worms as well. When I was force feeding him yesterday he was munching it like nothing was wrong, which made me thinking maybe the problem is his tongue? and was thinking, as he has hard time eating should I try and give him crested geckos diet for couple of days?
By the way he is still very active, made a big poo today which looked healthy and started shedding around his mouth.

I was a bit specific with vitamin A because this is a major concern with your kind of problem (also sometime a imbalance between phosphorus (too much phosphorus) So still give vit A preformed source for now.. its cheap and effective (the way I told you)
Stop the crested gecko diet, go wit carnivore care or something similar
If this is a tongue problem he might need more calcium (need calcium to shot.. tongue shot problem is a common problem when lack of calcium (or calcium absorption)
Also.. stop locust (or remove the back legs if you give locust)

how old is your UVB?

I was a bit specific with vitamin A because this is a major concern with your kind of problem (also sometime a imbalance between phosphorus (too much phosphorus) So still give vit A preformed source for now.. its cheap and effective (the way I told you)
Stop the crested gecko diet, go wit carnivore care or something similar
If this is a tongue problem he might need more calcium (need calcium to shot.. tongue shot problem is a common problem when lack of calcium (or calcium absorption)
Also.. stop locust (or remove the back legs if you give locust)

how old is your UVB?

Thanks a lot for your help! Got him some reptoboost which we started drinking today, will deffinately get some vitamin A from pharmacy tomorrow. He still is very active and friendly, was out his cage all day today, and poop looking healthy too. UVB is 3 months old.

Attachments

• 20180113_160928.jpg
    20180113_160928.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 20180113_161423.jpg
    20180113_161423.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 160
If it's a calcium issue you need to correct it too or things will get worse.
Oups I forgot about this! She's right you know! This condition can be serious! Chameleons are fragile and reAlly good to hide symptoms so when the first symptom popped out you got too be quicker than Spider-Man! Or.. Batman i don't know which one is faster

What SPECIFIC supplements are you using and how often for each? Brands and do they have calcium, phosphorus, D3, vitamin A? What form of vitamin A?
Do you have a good UVB light? Which one? How old?
What's the basking temperature? What color of light does the basking light produce? Are all the lights off at night?
How do you provide water? For how long?

Back
Top Bottom