Still worry about dehydration/ eye thing, posting pics

No the sperm plugs don't go back in. My cham usually rubs his on the branches! You said it was yellow though right? Cause there is a thing called prolapse(which you might know of) where their penis or I think intestine can come out and not go back in which in this case is very critical for it not to dry out and you have to get them to a vet asap and keep it from drying out if this happens. I am sure if it is yellow, then it is sperm. Chams can get parasites from feeders. Wild caught bugs are not recommended due to the possibility of parasites.

Yes... yellowish crusty lookin stuff & I checked out another thread on here about them after you mentioned it... yuck! I figured better be safe then sorry & made a vet appt for Fri afternoon. Only one doctor there sees reptiles but not specialized in them. They said if I don't come w/ fecal sample then I could bring the sample at a later time. Thanks soooo much for all your advise. You were very helpful.
ALSO thanks to everyone here on this thread for all their advise, everyone on here is AWESOME & sooooo helpful!!!!!:) I will post back w/ update once I find out what the vet says or if there are any other things that pop up!

sperm plug

i have a pic of loki with a sperm plug that i could email you...if that's all it is, it should be no problem for the vet to pull out...basically the vet said that if it's a hemipene (sp?) prolapse or intestinal prolapse, you should see some pink color almost like veins....basically it should look more like a "living" tissue type....

gargamel, again..lol...had something like that, but after the second day, it was gone, so i didn't rush him in....but loki was going on the 4th day, even with misting and using some ky jellly, so i took him in. the vet freaked me out at first, using the word "necrotic"...lol....but it turned out to just be a sperm plug (which is just "ewww"...lol) and he removed it. they can cause problems if they don't come out/get removed, but i'm glad i took him in and know more what to look for....

That would be great to see your picture of Loki's, thanks. If it's still there tomorrow, which will be day 3, I will take a picture too. I read about people pulling them out themselves... double ewww!!! but we do what we need to for the kids:) By your description I think that is right on about it being a sperm plug!

My chameleon had crusty eye issues for a while and it was worrying me because he drank almost daily. After some research found out it was photo-kerato-conjunctivitis cause by the reptisun bulb I using. I switched to a metal halide bulb and it was an instant improvement. Of course everyone situation is different but that what it was for me.

still new to posting images in the forum and such, but if you want to give me your email address, i can email it to you....

you can pm it if you'd prefer...

Your chameleon doesn't look well...and with those crusty yellow "things" going on too I would get it to the vet ASAP.

@Jandie... the crusty yellow thing is coming from his back area. I compared the look of it to what our morning eye crust looks like but no crust in his eyes & the seem clear & dry. Just bubbles out at times.
@Kinyonga... I have an appt for Fri afternoon but if he doesn't seem well in morning I will have to try to get him in sooner. What did you see that doesn't look good?
Thanks for the replies!!!!!!

****Update on this post... Sorry meant @Toexxx on that eyething!
@Jandie... will message you my email... thanks!!!

Yeah your lighting seems fine, the UVB tube that I used that caused problems was something like Reptasun, not reptisun.

And it was a tube 5.0, so its not just compacts that can cause problems...

I said I didn't think he looked well because he's sitting on you with his eye almost shut, he's not lifting his body off your arm much, the area just behind his arm in the last picture bothers me.

His eyes being shut during the day, not opening his eyes when you tap the cage and whatever is going on with the crusty stuff near his vent is also making me think that he is sick...but I'm not a vet...so I can't be sure what's going on with him.

BTW...if the crusty stuff is a prolapse, you need to keep it moist with KY jelly (NOT vaseline...and not water/misting it once in a while).

You asked why I said he didn't look good...his eye is almost shut while he's on your arm, he's no holding his body up off your arm like he should, the area behind/under his arm in the last picture bothers me.

You said he was sleeping during the day, had crusty stuff where he poops, etc. as well.

BTW..if the crusty stuff is a prolapse, it needs to be kept moist with KY jelly (NOT vaseline...and not water misted on him once in a while).

I said I didn't think he looked well because he's sitting on you with his eye almost shut, he's not lifting his body off your arm much, the area just behind his arm in the last picture bothers me.

His eyes being shut during the day, not opening his eyes when you tap the cage and whatever is going on with the crusty stuff near his vent is also making me think that he is sick...but I'm not a vet...so I can't be sure what's going on with him.

BTW...if the crusty stuff is a prolapse, you need to keep it moist with KY jelly (NOT vaseline...and not water/misting it once in a while).

Thanks for that Ky tip, but how embarrassing... when I purchase it "no really it's for my chameleon:eek:" Lol
I have a vet appt for tomorrow and although I caught him closing his eyes a tiny bit today & bubbling them occationally... overall he seemed ok. Actually pretty good. Still no poo today day 3 and I'm not sure if that's okay. He also seemed to like the misting more today. I think I'm making some strides & the vet appt maybe might resolve something I'm unaware of possibly & at the very least give me a piece of mind.
BTW I didn't notice the way it looked behind his arm until you mentioned it, if I'm seeing what your seeing, I think he looks wrinkley.. maybe skin loose kinda there. Idk. I agree w/ his eyes shut in picture too. Thanks

Update on Diego/ Vet

Vet turned us away after all that, they said they don't see reptiles... while I was standing there in there office w/ him in a container! After they told me on three separate occasions that that did see them:confused:. They also said they called and left me a message, which they did not, saying not to come to my appointment because the don't see them (checked messages & caller I.D when I got home after laying into hubby about not checking... oops:eek:- THEY NEVER CALLED!). To make a long story short Diego did a poo on that day, day 4 of not pooing, & they at the least tested it for me for parasites... negative:)! Back to the drawing board. Thanks for all the replies from everyone:)

Back
Top Bottom