Still closing eye

I posted using the form a few days ago. Took my panther in to vet right away after noticing him closing his right eye. We started the topical eye antibiotic Thursday afternoon and I still see him closing it.

I'm ready to go back to the vet, its seems like he is closing it even more often. Any specific tests I should ask for...vit A deficiency? Any others? Vet seemed to think he was in excellent health...eye was irritated from rubbing after a shed. He confirmed eye health using a machine and no parasites via fecal.

I am afraid to try the vitamin a on a cricket unless I have specific instructions.

Please, experts who have dealt with this, advise me what I should do or ask my vet to do. Thx

maybe you should fill the "how to ask for help form?" I can show you how to deal with Vit A but.. if there is no reason too believe its a vit A def this can't be a good idea ;) so the form provide us good information too isolate what can be wrong and how to fix it :) without these info its only guessing/magic/placebo help ;)

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Panther, hatched 10/2016. In care since 4/17
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Weekly
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Crickets,Dubias staple, hornworms as treat. Offered daily, sometimes every other day. Gutload with r. Bugburger as staple, mix in irregular addition of organic veggies- sweet potatoes. Carrots, kale or collard greens, occasional orange.
Leave about 6 crickets in bottom with carrot, they cannot get to top so there is always food avail. Otherwise I typically cup feed 5-6 dail, every other. He recently has shown stronger hunting on own. Previously he was lazy and relied on me.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Rep. Calcium plus every feeding. Its 1yr old and expires 9/19. Keep it in cooler basement. Started this summer doing rep California with d-3 1x month and also rep-cal & herptivite 1x month. Dont use the repashy in this day.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Ro water, mist king. Lights on at 8, 8:05 5min 8:30 15min, 10:30 15 min, 5:00 15 min. I just reduced the 5pm from 30 minutes.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No test. Poops about every 10 days, top of updates white but gets orange closer to decal. About half and half white, orange.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. He ate a bunch of vine a year ago, was impacted but eventually passed it. Was a

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?18x21x48 dragon strand with 3 solid sides, screen bottom with bin under to catch water.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Reptisun 5.0..2 bulbs. Keep one thtbis 6mo and younger in at all times. Leave the newest of the older bulbs in for extra light. Also have a agrosun full spectrum mounted vertical on 1 side for plants...but he likes to sit in front of it. Flukers 75w basking. On 12 hrs day inwinter...I increase gradually to 15 in summer along with misting.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Temp gun. 89 basking down to 69 at floor. Room is 72 -75 degrees
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 24 hr digital temp and humidity guage. Ranges 60 -80 daytime, nights down to 30% it measures min and max.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes, orchids, pothos
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? In basement, little activity. Cage is protected from views on all but the front. He is so tame and tries to come out when feeding.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Cleveland Ohio

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. I check on him daily and yesterday for first time, saw him midlevel in cage with r. Eye closed. He did it again today. I assumed he was flushing eyes at first. I misted him w water to try and flush it not sure it's fixed or not. Made apt to see vet in morning. Am I doing something wrong?

Coincidentally, I found a clear slimy chewed but not digested cricket a week ago. Not sure if it was puked, pooped or what. He had a fabulous looking bowel 3 days ago so I disregarded it. He has been hunting on his own with great appetite, seems better than ever. Now I'm in full panic mode.

Should note he is also shedding and I have seen him rubbing head but this is typical of him.

Thanks in advance for any input on my care or otherwise.

#1Wednesday at 11:14 PM

I remember the thread, it was the one of his left forearm pushing against a branch. That was a totally different thread! Doesn’t matter, let’s just try to get you the advice you need, curious to see how Mawty and others respond...

If i recall from your other thread you have 2 uvb lights, and there was no need for 2 since your enclosure was not dense at all. Did you remove one and increase misting, give room temperature showers?

If i recall from your other thread you have 2 uvb lights, and there was no need for 2 since your enclosure was not dense at all. Did you remove one and increase misting, give room temperature showers?
That's me. Enclosure was dense prior to pic. I had just taken out dracaena and branch. I turned off the light on side. Second UVB bulb is old and not producing strong uvb. I switch out every 6 months, the oldest bulb.

He has (3) 15min mist cycles and I have added misting as well.

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Rep. Calcium plus every feeding. Its 1yr old and expires 9/19. Keep it in cooler basement. Started this summer doing rep California with d-3 1x month and also rep-cal & herptivite 1x month. Dont use the repashy in this day.

Ok ;) Herptivite does not contain any preformed vitamin A source so yep, vit A deficiency is possible in your case, there is actually no blood test for vitamin A (i think not 100% sure) maybe you can add a preformed source of vitamin A? you can PM me if you need help about this! (carefull he only need slow dosage of vitamin A!)

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Reptisun 5.0..2 bulbs. Keep one thtbis 6mo and younger in at all times. Leave the newest of the older bulbs in for extra light. Also have a agrosun full spectrum mounted vertical on 1 side for plants...but he likes to sit in front of it. Flukers 75w basking. On 12 hrs day inwinter...I increase gradually to 15 in summer along with misting.

I sugest you to stop using the reptisun bulb and switch to the linear one (reptisun t5ho 5.0) in the past i have test the reptisun 5.0 and past 4 inch the uvb ammount are miniminimum.. and past 3 month the uvb level are alost absent personally i considere theses bulb a waist of money! :/ also it might hurt the eyes (not sure about this last info but some people claim it) you can replace your old bulb with a full spectrum bulb this spectrum gonna be better for mental health and plants:)

. Flukers 75w basking. On 12 hrs day inwinter...I increase gradually to 15 in summer along with misting.

Does he go under the basking spot? if you have pictures of the cage this can help!

Ok ;) Herptivite does not contain any preformed vitamin A source so yep, vit A deficiency is possible in your case, there is actually no blood test for vitamin A (i think not 100% sure) maybe you can add a preformed source of vitamin A? you can PM me if you need help about this! (carefull he only need slow dosage of vitamin A!)

I sugest you to stop using the reptisun bulb and switch to the linear one (reptisun t5ho 5.0) in the past i have test the reptisun 5.0 and past 4 inch the uvb ammount are miniminimum.. and past 3 month the uvb level are alost absent personally i considere theses bulb a waist of money! :/ also it might hurt the eyes (not sure about this last info but some people claim it) you can replace your old bulb with a full spectrum bulb this spectrum gonna be better for mental health and plants:)

Does he go under the basking spot? if you have pictures of the cage this can help!

Thanks for taking time to respond. To be clear, I have (2) of the linear t5 HO reptisun bulbs u are recommending plus the basking. He does bask daily.

I had a 6500k as the second bulb, but decided to leave old reptisun in w new one. I can switch back to 6500k + uvb. I was also told to go with the Arcadia 5.0...your thoughts?

I just started this summer with the hertivite. I use repashy plus daily except when I do the hertivite. My supplements are fresh.

I just bought a 36 x 18 x 36 exoterra that I'm trying to make more suitable for him. Saw another guy had healthy panther for 2 or 3 yrs in one. No issues. I will repost picture...it was in my first post closed eye.

He is eating and pooping great still. Thank GOD!

Thanks for taking time to respond. To be clear, I have (2) of the linear t5 HO reptisun bulbs u are recommending plus the basking. He does bask daily.

I had a 6500k as the second bulb, but decided to leave old reptisun in w new one. I can switch back to 6500k + uvb. I was also told to go with the Arcadia 5.0...your thoughts?

I just started this summer with the hertivite. I use repashy plus daily except when I do the hertivite. My supplements are fresh.

I just bought a 36 x 18 x 36 exoterra that I'm trying to make more suitable for him. Saw another guy had healthy panther for 2 or 3 yrs in one. No issues. I will repost picture...it was in my first post closed eye.

He is eating and pooping great still. Thank GOD!
Have you try tu flush the eye with saline solution? maybe there is some shed or debris inside of the eyes? other option is too try the zoo med turtles drop, it work with my chameleon once nothing too loose :)

Have not tried anything other than misting and vet prescription. Will give meds a chance before plan b.
Cool because if its a debris inside.. any antibiotic will be useless ;) is there any inflammation? and more important : is your vet know chameleon? (sometime vet limited/no experiences with chameleon so they are guessing.. this is anoying...)

This vet is known for treating exotics and had treated chame. He used special machine to look at the cornea, iris, etc. No redness, edema, discharge, etc. He did rub on branches trying to shed...been misting him like crazy. Didnt think to use saline

Hey there, my first advise is for you, no need to panic. Yes chameleons have issues with their eyes and they can be very serious if left untreated. I also just went through the same situation with my Cham, I noticed he would close one eye, then he went on to close both his eyes. My vet recommended some rinsing out his eyes with eye drops used to flush out our eyes, I allowed him to flush them out about twice a day, then I started using the antibiotics on both his eyes, it took about 4-5 days of the antibiotics, flushes and giving him water with a syringe since his phosphate levels where off. After that he’s gotten better, eats great both his eyes are open and working. Trust your vet , especially if he’s experienced , everyone’s situation is different. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom