Sterilizing tree branches?

On wood that has dropped from tree for long periods before collecting could contain beetle larvae, some species can reduce wood to dust. So id avoid really old crusty wood
Ive just pulled some ivy that was strangling a tree near by off and got a cherry tree that was recently cut, bleached in bath (at other halfs disgust) let dry and air 2 weeks. and repeating with bleach (weak solution mind) pkenty of rinsing of water and dry in sun

I'm dealing with that with some live trees now. Think they killed my fig and mulberry I keep outside. That said, they're harmless to chameleons and I wouldn't bleach anything going in my enclosure that was porous

I'm dealing with that with some live trees now. Think they killed my fig and mulberry I keep outside. That said, they're harmless to chameleons and I wouldn't bleach anything going in my enclosure that was porous
Just out of interest do you dechlorinate your water?
I know its not ideal to bleach and there is better chemicals to clean stuff like "safe 4". but I'm rinsing thoroughly any bleach off mostly worried about bird flu, been a few outbreaks last year in my area

Some people will never learn......

Bleach decomposes rapidly, especially when exposed to sunlight. That level of fear mongering is unnecessary.

Soak items in a heavily diluted bleach solution (check out concentrations used for birds) if you're so inclined in a well ventilated area, and let thoroughly dry in the sun for at least 24 hours with porous items I allow for longer drying/off gassing times. I've done that for years with my birds, and continue to do so on occasion for deep cleaning purposes.

With my reptiles, I grab branches, hose em off/scrub them a with a stiff brush if they're a little dirty, and then pop them in the enclosure. The trick is harvesting from areas away from roads that don't use pesticides. If you're worried about insects, soaking items overnight in water will encourage most hitch hikers to flee.

Bleach decomposes rapidly, especially when exposed to sunlight. That level of fear mongering is unnecessary.

Soak items in a heavily diluted bleach solution (check out concentrations used for birds) if you're so inclined in a well ventilated area, and let thoroughly dry in the sun for at least 24 hours with porous items I allow for longer drying/off gassing times.
Last time I soaked some bricks in bleach, it took over a week outside in the sun to get the smell out, even rotating them every few hours.
I think now maybe I shoulda baked 'em. Live & learn. :rolleyes:

Just out of interest do you dechlorinate your water?
I know its not ideal to bleach and there is better chemicals to clean stuff like "safe 4". but I'm rinsing thoroughly any bleach off mostly worried about bird flu, been a few outbreaks last year in my area

That's understandable. I personally live on a well. Normally use RO water from my RO system for mist system. Cleaning I just use the hose or the shower.

I don't think bleach will outright kill an animal, but the fumes can apparently linger for a long time and are said to be health hazards. I only use it as a last resort. No telling what longterm damage it does to people and animals, maybe none, but I'd rather not chance it.

That's understandable. I personally live on a well. Normally use RO water from my RO system for mist system. Cleaning I just use the hose or the shower.

I don't think bleach will outright kill an animal, but the fumes can apparently linger for a long time and are said to be health hazards. I only use it as a last resort. No telling what longterm damage it does to people and animals, maybe none, but I'd rather not chance it.
Ive got a hma filter ( heavy metal axe, chlorine & chloro-amine resin filters) can piggy back a RO on top of if needed. But where im at is soft water so haven't needed it so far. Does a mistking run or can it run straight from mains water or is it from reservoir only?
Would seem these the ultimate in hydration for chameleon.

And as for bleaching it is just the one off ,as precaution as tree has been outside for a very long time with bird pooping all over. I wont be bleaching my chams cage every week trust?

Attachments

• 15905292658151305251228361657167.jpg
    15905292658151305251228361657167.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 84
Hello, new here to the forum and I was just wondering why you have to let the branches dry first before you put them in the enclosure? The get wet everyday with mist, no?

The bark holds up better if it dries out and cures a bit, for lack of a better word than if you put branches in that are still green. Baking speeds up this process.
Edit side note once I put still green ginkgo branches in some cages I did in a hurry and just stuck them in the plant pots and now I have little ginkgo trees I will have to cut back to get out.

Hello, new here to the forum and I was just wondering why you have to let the branches dry first before you put them in the enclosure? The get wet everyday with mist, no?
Ideally want them sun soaked with uv from sun but if thats unachievable then in enclosure under artificial uv or oven would suffice. Just a level of disinfectant

Thank you, makes total sense with green branches, I just washed a few dead ones and towel dried them... and hope for the best... I just got my first Veiled this week and I'm starting to realize there is more to this than a few sticks and a light bulb. Lol...

Good valid question with lots of answers. I don't disagree with any that have been proffered, but I'll suggest another.

Some people like to seal everything that goes into an enclosure to prevent anything bad from potentially leaching out of branches—and molds, fungus, rot, etc. from getting a foothold. Complete drying is recommended before sealing. ;)

Good valid question with lots of answers. I don't disagree with any that have been proffered, but I'll suggest another.

Some people like to seal everything that goes into an enclosure to prevent anything bad from potentially leaching out of branches—and molds, fungus, rot, etc. from getting a foothold. Complete drying is recommended before sealing. ;)
Thank you..I'm going to rearrange some stuff today and I think I'm going to remove the branches and give them a good soak and start over with them.. I'm kind of a "let nature run its course" type but with Chameleons I feel like I have to go the extra steps.

Is your home sterile? No. I just cut branches off crepe myrtle and brushed off all lichen and done. Your cham is not going to get any parasite of birds or native reptiles. Why does it have to be so difficult?

How can you be so sure of native species parasites not getting to your Cham. Feeders are known to transfer parasites somehow and most of them aren't from the origin of the chameleon. Parasites usually need multiple vectors to complete there life cycles im not sure an American hookworm differs in anyway from a Madagascan hookworm 🤷
They just need a suitable host some might be more specific than others, it is still only a chance of something nasty being on it at the end of the day

Back
Top Bottom