Sterilizing tree branches?

Anything that goes in my enclosures is thrown into a cauldron of boiling ammonia and 'round up' weed killer. I then spray it down with a can of raid. Chameleons are never found on branches that have been touched by any sort of life in the wild. I have even started to rub sanitizer on my branches daily and when I'm around my chameleon, both him and I wear a mask.

Anything that goes in my enclosures is thrown into a cauldron of boiling ammonia and 'round up' weed killer. I then spray it down with a can of raid. Chameleons are never found on branches that have been touched by any sort of life in the wild. I have even started to rub sanitizer on my branches daily and when I'm around my chameleon, both him and I wear a mask.

Bruh, you still use branches!

I have switched to PVC Pipes instead so much more sanitary.

Edit: these too.

https://m.dhgate.com/product/36cm-natural-dry-pvc-manzanita-dried-artificial/387864581.html

Last edited:
These were free lol.. and ready to install
F8BF10C0-3182-4EC1-9232-F8D4B5297765.jpeg
CE58351A-E174-4C36-8793-4CF111DCB210.jpeg
CAFC132A-C729-4412-81F0-002BD426273D.jpeg

Nice! I had looked all over once I found that manzanita was what I wanted. I ended up getting from Reptile Supply Co. It is a really nice hunk of wood. Having grown up on over 200 acres of wild forest, I just feel stupid having to buy wood. So now, I instead have been feeling stupid scavenging branches, limbs and leaves when a neighbor cuts down an oak. :oops:

I dug up a manzanita sapling 2 feet tall brought it home & potted it up 2 weeks later it died......they only seem to grow in high altitudes

Somewhat old thread, but if I get a thick branch, couldn’t there be bugs in the middle burrowed in? I have a bioactive enclosure, so I’m worried there will be bugs that will take over the soil
On wood that has dropped from tree for long periods before collecting could contain beetle larvae, some species can reduce wood to dust. So id avoid really old crusty wood
Ive just pulled some ivy that was strangling a tree near by off and got a cherry tree that was recently cut, bleached in bath (at other halfs disgust) let dry and air 2 weeks. and repeating with bleach (weak solution mind) pkenty of rinsing of water and dry in sun

Btw if i was buying wood for the purpose rather than finding locally i Think grape vine looks the best.
wish i live near a vineyard as they practically give them away

Back
Top Bottom