Sterilizing tree branches?

emilhayek

Established Member
I have an oak tree outside which recently lost some branches due to a thunderstorm. I was thinking about cutting a bunch off and using them in my enclosure (cham is not ordered yet) i washed them with soap and water and about to do a bleach bath. Should you take off the bark or leave it on? What’s everyone’s opinion on this

If you bleach the branches, it will kill your cham!! They only drink dripping water!!!
Rinse with water let dry and install!!
77D1C58F-26CE-4ACF-B081-6572F6649673.jpeg

Rinse well if you bleach until you don't smell chlorine and they will be safe. Dry in the sun and you are golden. A lot of people don't do that much but salmonella and e-coli are found in bird poop and can be carried by reptiles. So why not be safe.

Rinse well if you bleach until you don't smell chlorine and they will be safe. Dry in the sun and you are golden. A lot of people don't do that much but salmonella and e-coli are found in bird poop and can be carried by reptiles. So why not be safe.
Sounds good, my enclosure isn’t even on its way yet so I’ve got some time to let them soak in the heat. This Texas heat is no joke this time of year! Lol

Somewhat old thread, but if I get a thick branch, couldn’t there be bugs in the middle burrowed in? I have a bioactive enclosure, so I’m worried there will be bugs that will take over the soil

Somewhat old thread, but if I get a thick branch, couldn’t there be bugs in the middle burrowed in? I have a bioactive enclosure, so I’m worried there will be bugs that will take over the soil

What kind of bugs are you worried about? I've added large rotten/hollow logs to my enclosures with no problems.

How long are the branches?
Bake branches or logs in an oven set at 250 to 300 degrees Fahrenheit for about 30 to 60 minutes. Never leave wood unattended in an oven, as it is a fire hazard. Boiling water is only about 212 degrees Fahrenheit, so you must boil wood for six hours or more to ensure it is free of microorganisms.​
If too long for the oven (or if it sounds better to you), I'd strip the bark, allow to dry in the sun for a day or so, then seal with multiple coats of a reptile-safe sealer.

What kind of bugs are you worried about? I've added large rotten/hollow logs to my enclosures with no problems.
Okay, thanks. I wasn’t sure if there could be any bugs burrowed deep in the log. Just in case, do you think I could seal it with mod podge? Or would that be overkill

Last edited:
Sure you could, but I personally never would. There's nothing that will be burrowed in it to be worried about.
Okay, yeah. I feel better about it now. I’m just paranoid because it’s my first tank and I’d hate to have to restart because of some bugs or something. I’m not even sure if that could realistically happen. But I’m just paranoid lol.

Okay, yeah. I feel better about it now. I’m just paranoid because it’s my first tank and I’d hate to have to restart because of some bugs or something. I’m not even sure if that could realistically happen. But I’m just paranoid lol.

I get where you're coming from, I was the same way. I even came from the reef hobby which made me more paranoid because any little thing can impact the entire system. So I was worried about the branches, bugs, parasites that could be in the soil, what I cleaned with, etc. Turns out, chams are hardy and unless you have something outright attacking your chameleon, he should be fine.

Pfft dry out in the sun.

I just built this Leaf Tail Viv yesterday, these branches were hosed down, left outside over night and put in the viv this afternoon lol.

They were all live branches, no baking, no bleaching, no messing. The spiders and aphids ans other critters that called these home bailed when they saw me sawing this chunky branch down lol.

20200524_153618.jpg

Rotten hollowed branches may pose some more issues, but using live is best anyway or so I have been told lately. It lasts longer, and doesnt mold as bad as its nice and wet already inside.

Honestly I'm thinking of scrubbing with vinegar or soap, rinsing well, and leaving out to dry to try to rid of any possible salmonella. would you suggest this?

I cut live healthy branches, and dry them out in hot rafters of my garage for a day or 2 rinse off then install, manzanita I just cut rinse & install with moss/lichen still alive, it looks cool

Back
Top Bottom