Starving, or glutenous pig? ?

Christel

According to the tons of reading, at her age (just over 5 mo., I think) she should be getting approx. 12-15 medium sized crickets per day... - not an "all you can eat buffet" In addition, she nibbles her plants - kale, collards, pothos (not as much as the veggies), and umbrella tree. She also gets mango when I get to the grocery store.
Case in point, today she had four small (1/2in x 1/2in) pieces of mango before her 15 crickets (calcium dusted, -D3), and she let me know she wanted MORE! ?
I HAVE read that they can get too fat, so.....
Is she just trying to be a glutton?
Thanks!
Oh, and once my laptop charges up, I'll fill out the form, but no real health issues, just not wanting to overfeed.

My girls would throw women and children out of the way for food. Clarice literally leaps from her branch when I have food. You really need to regulate the girls or they will eat and eat and eat... and end up developing too many eggs.

At 5 months my panther girls were getting about 10-12 small/med crickets (or the equivalent) and that’s it. At 8 months I started cutting back to 10 small bugs every other day. They are close to a year and now they get 6-8 small/med bugs 3x a week. They sorta cut themselves back.

My veileds, though, will eat and eat and eat if given the option.

According to the tons of reading, at her age (just over 5 mo., I think) she should be getting approx. 12-15 medium sized crickets per day... - not an "all you can eat buffet" In addition, she nibbles her plants - kale, collards, pothos (not as much as the veggies), and umbrella tree. She also gets mango when I get to the grocery store.
Case in point, today she had four small (1/2in x 1/2in) pieces of mango before her 15 crickets (calcium dusted, -D3), and she let me know she wanted MORE! ?
I HAVE read that they can get too fat, so.....
Is she just trying to be a glutton?
Thanks!
Oh, and once my laptop charges up, I'll fill out the form, but no real health issues, just not wanting to overfeed.
Christel, remind me what species

Also, are you committed to offering fruits and veggies?
Yes..... Is this a bad thing? I don't have my garden in, yet, and planned to plant some things just for her...
Apples and plum won't produce for a couple more years, but the peaches do, and a couple neighbors have pears... Other fruits are store bought.

Yes..... Is this a bad thing? I don't have my garden in, yet, and planned to plant some things just for her...
I think the jury is still out on whether or not this is good or bad. However, I wrote a blog about this very subject. Please don't feel obliged to read it, but I cite numerous studies and articles, and try to deliver the info in an accessible way. It might be of use.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/chameleon-herbivory.2426/

I think the jury is still out on whether or not this is good or bad. However, I wrote a blog about this very subject. Please don't feel obliged to read it, but I cite numerous studies and articles, and try to deliver the info in an accessible way. It might be of use.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/chameleon-herbivory.2426/
WoW, thanks!
I do need to run out back and change cam cards, but most certainly will read this when I get back.
This is greatly appreciated ?

WoW, thanks!
I do need to run out back and change cam cards, but most certainly will read this when I get back.
This is greatly appreciated ?
To answer your first question, at 6-9 months you can start to back off the feeding so that by 9 months she gets maybe 3-5 crickets 3 times a week. This is important especially for female veileds because they can be induced to lay huge clutches of eggs if over fed. My two girls get a single medium sized dubia on monday, 3 large crickets on wednesday, and 3 or for different worms (silks, supers, horns, bsfl) on saturday. I switch up the schedule regularly, but not the quantity. That's just what's worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom