Starting to really worry me

maryanne27

Avid Member
I posted a few days ago, but I am really getting nervous that something is wrong. Rory didn't eat at all today, only one cricket yesterday. It has been probably a week since he has eaten his usual 3-4 crickets per day. Plus, I came home from work and saw a not-so-healthy bowel movement. It was sort of a flakey fecal matter in a big runny mess. I ordered the BB fly spikes in case he is just bored with the crickets. Is there something wrong with him, though?? This is my first chameleon, and I am getting scared that he may be sick. Pertinent info below.

Chameleon Info:
Rory is a 9 month old male graceful chameleon. I have had him for just over a month.
Handling - Since I got him, I have only handled him twice
Feeding - He usually eats 3-4 crickets a day, gutloaded with BugBurger. I have also tried feeding him butterworms (from a cup and just letting them roam), but he has only eaten maybe one or two this whole month.
Supplements - Zilla calcium supplement sprayed on crickets daily, Repashy vitamin dust twice a month
Watering - Dripper used constantly. Hand mister used throughout the day - at least 4-5 times most days, 2-3 if I work. Pretty much when I go upstairs, I check to see if there is enough moisture in the cage. I mist for a minute or two until screens, vines, and plants are wet. I have witnessed him drinking a few times.
Fecal Description - Was health until today. It wasn't solid... sort of like a runny, flakey mix.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - He is in a screen cage, about 3'x3'x1.5'.
Lighting - I use the UV lamp recommended on the forum here (can't remember the actual brand, but I got exactly what was listed). Heat lamp is a normal desk lamp. Turn on about 7 or 8 am, off at around 6 or 7 pm.
Temperature - Temp is about 68 degrees
Humidity - About 65-68% humidity. Along with misting and dripping, I keep a normal room humidifier running.
Plants - I have one live plant in the cage - small scheflerra arboricola. There are about 5 other potted plants near the cage - heard that helps keep humidity up.
Placement - In our extra bedroom in a nook surrounded by windows so he gets sunlight. Not near fans or air vents. Extremely low-traffic area. The bottom of the cage is raised about 8" off of the floor.
Location - We live in northwest PA. Cold and snowy this time of year; air is dry. Weather has been fluctuating a lot lately between warm and freezing.

I posted a few days ago, but I am really getting nervous that something is wrong. Rory didn't eat at all today, only one cricket yesterday. It has been probably a week since he has eaten his usual 3-4 crickets per day. Plus, I came home from work and saw a not-so-healthy bowel movement. It was sort of a flakey fecal matter in a big runny mess. I ordered the BB fly spikes in case he is just bored with the crickets. Is there something wrong with him, though?? This is my first chameleon, and I am getting scared that he may be sick. Pertinent info below.

Chameleon Info:
Rory is a 9 month old male graceful chameleon. I have had him for just over a month.
Handling - Since I got him, I have only handled him twice
Feeding - He usually eats 3-4 crickets a day, gutloaded with BugBurger. I have also tried feeding him butterworms (from a cup and just letting them roam), but he has only eaten maybe one or two this whole month.
Supplements - Zilla calcium supplement sprayed on crickets daily, Repashy vitamin dust twice a month
Watering - Dripper used constantly. Hand mister used throughout the day - at least 4-5 times most days, 2-3 if I work. Pretty much when I go upstairs, I check to see if there is enough moisture in the cage. I mist for a minute or two until screens, vines, and plants are wet. I have witnessed him drinking a few times.
Fecal Description - Was health until today. It wasn't solid... sort of like a runny, flakey mix.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - He is in a screen cage, about 3'x3'x1.5'.
Lighting - I use the UV lamp recommended on the forum here (can't remember the actual brand, but I got exactly what was listed). Heat lamp is a normal desk lamp. Turn on about 7 or 8 am, off at around 6 or 7 pm.
Temperature - Temp is about 68 degrees
Humidity - About 65-68% humidity. Along with misting and dripping, I keep a normal room humidifier running.
Plants - I have one live plant in the cage - small scheflerra arboricola. There are about 5 other potted plants near the cage - heard that helps keep humidity up.
Placement - In our extra bedroom in a nook surrounded by windows so he gets sunlight. Not near fans or air vents. Extremely low-traffic area. The bottom of the cage is raised about 8" off of the floor.
Location - We live in northwest PA. Cold and snowy this time of year; air is dry. Weather has been fluctuating a lot lately between warm and freezing.

If he's been drinking more each day (because the house and cage is dry from heating) his feces will be more liquid. If he's a bit dehydrated his appetite can drop too, but if the house is cooler because of weather swings he may just be a bit less active and not as hungry. I don't know anything about the Zilla spray's quality.

I have a question about your supplementation. I am not familiar with the supplements you are using, is your daily zilla spray cal only? And what is in the multivitamin? Is he getting D3 at appropriate intervals?

I have a question about your supplementation. I am not familiar with the supplements you are using, is your daily zilla spray cal only? And what is in the multivitamin? Is he getting D3 at appropriate intervals?

Yes, the Zilla spray is just calcium... it was the only product I could find at the time that didn't have phosphorus and stuff it in, so he gets just calcium daily. The multivitamin is Repashy Superfoods Calcium Plus - vitamins and calcium. The back of the jar and the online description says there is vitamin D, and he gets it every two weeks. He also gets either lots of sunlight through the windows or his Reptisun lamp every day; I was under the impression this helped them synthesize D3 naturally. Is this wrong? If so, I will do my best to fix whatever it is asap!

Also, the humidity is up to 78, temp still at about 68-70. And I'm really relieved no one said he is dying haha

could you provide a link to the bulb you are using? And how old is it? UVB light doesn't penetrate glass so the sunlight through the window will not be providing any UV light for D3 absorption

Is your enclosure only 18" high? If so, since it's screen, I'd recommend rotating it so that it's 3' high. What is the basking temp?

Also, sometimes you have to mist for awhile, as in a few minutes constantly, and that can trigger them to start drinking for some reason.

You need to up Rory's temps right away. At nine months old his basking spot should be in the mid to high 80's.....86 to 88. Being to cold could male him not want to eat. He should be eating more than 3 to 4 feeders a day and you need a large variety of feeders to offer him. Try silkworm, super worms, hornworms, roaches and moths along with the crickets, flies and butters. Tate also just loves mantis and stick bugs. A member here has stick bugs for sale right now. https://www.chameleonforums.com/green-banana-roaches-indian-sticks-122255/. This is the person I get mine from. I would replace the Zilla spray for some real calcium. I use Rep-Cal and Windex is right UVB can not pass through glass. He's going to need a bigger cage soon. Three foot high might do another month but he's going to need a 4 foot high soon.

Linda's Gone Buggie has value packs of feeders where you can get a variety of feeders for a good price. http://www.lindasgonebuggie.com/page/419991568 They are closed for the holidays right now but will open back up first of the year.

Last edited:
The 68-70 was at the bottom of the cage, so I will move the thermometer and make sure it is higher in his basking area. Now I thought I read that a regular desk lamp will provide enough heat for basking... is this wrong? Or maybe I just need a different wat bulb.
I'll also get on that calcium, and more feeders are in the mail! I did think he should be eating more than 4, but when I put like 5-6 in each day, he never ate the extras. I really wish he would eat those butterworms, but oh well! I have bb fly spikes coming... should I put them in as spikes, or do they usually like them as full-grown flies? Calcium will be switched; when I read the description, they listed it as ok for chameleons, but I will look for the other stuff!

Woo!

Great news! I came home from work early this afternoon, and Rory was basking away after eating 3 crickets - the most he has eaten at once in about a week!!!! I misted like crazy, and he got really active. He even made a break for the door! This was only the third time he has ever ventured out, and man did he go! haha His cage is in this nook that is about 6 feet high inside, ~6' wide, and about 3' deep; I made a little bridge for him and he crawled all around the curtain rods. This is the most active I have seen him in about a week, as well, and today was the day that I really blasted the heat in that room. He even came to me when I needed to get him back in the cage! :D

Now I have a proper 60 watt bulb (the other was the energy efficient kind...I never thought about it not heating the same). His basking perch is staying a steady 82, with the lower, farther side of his cage around 70. Humidity is right in range. A variety of feeder worms is on the way, and it seems I have a happy cham! I feel so terrible that I spent so long researching chameleons before I got one, but I apparently didn't apply it :( Thank you all for your help.

Also, JannB, you mentioned getting a larger cage soon. If I were to get proper vines and such rigged up in his nook to crawl up high, would that work out ok? Or is the larger cage necessary for reasons other than exercise and height?

Attachments

• WP_20131231_002.jpg
    WP_20131231_002.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 108
You require a 2-2-4 cage. When he's fully grown he can reach a length of 15 or more inches.

And that cage is way too sparse as it is.

82 is way too cold still. Jann said 86-88.

You require a 2-2-4 cage. When he's fully grown he can reach a length of 15 or more inches.

And that cage is way too sparse as it is.

82 is way too cold still. Jann said 86-88.

I'm trying to bring it up... I just wanted to post progress. It is really cold here right now, and I have an old house; I'm really trying to get the temp up, but it is slow going with this weather.
Also, I understand the need for lots of space... I certainly don't want him to get cramped. What I am asking, though, is whether or not a large external space would be adequate as compared to a larger cage. I am fine with leaving the door open and hanging vines the entire 6 feet up and all around the nook so he has plenty of room to roam. What I want to know is, is there another reason for a big cage which would make my jungle-nook idea not work?

What are you using to check your temps? That sheet (material) hanging on tne basking light looks dangerous......like a fire hazard. You could set up a free range if it's safe from other pets or anything harmful. They do roam so don't expect him to say in the nook area. :)

What are you using to check your temps? That sheet (material) hanging on tne basking light looks dangerous......like a fire hazard. You could set up a free range if it's safe from other pets or anything harmful. They do roam so don't expect him to say in the nook area. :)

Great!!! I thought that would be really fun for him to have the run of the nook haha And yeah, the curtain is coming down...does look a bit dangerous! He was on a roll, and I needed something quick for him to climb up; that was the easiest access. I will order some nice vines for him then!

To check temp and humidity, I am using the ZooMed Dual Analog Thermometer and Humidity Gauge. It had great reviews, and I could get it fast for a good price. Have you ever used one or know if they are decent products?

Great!!! I thought that would be really fun for him to have the run of the nook haha And yeah, the curtain is coming down...does look a bit dangerous! He was on a roll, and I needed something quick for him to climb up; that was the easiest access. I will order some nice vines for him then!

To check temp and humidity, I am using the ZooMed Dual Analog Thermometer and Humidity Gauge. It had great reviews, and I could get it fast for a good price. Have you ever used one or know if they are decent products?

The Analogs are not very accurate. Here's my blog for new keepers. The temp gun I recommend is in the fourth paragraph down.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

looks like he is doing better,
i have one of his brothers :):)
mine doesn't care for butterworms
but he does like the great lakes hornworms!
and recently dubia.

Back
Top Bottom