Starting to dig

wst0209a

I put sand in today it has been about 20 days since they mated. As soon as I put the sand in there and showed her where it was she started digging. I put 4 lbs. of sand in a 5 gallon bucket. There is about 10 inches of sand. I think I have it at a good mixture with water. I dug a little hole with my hand and it seemed to hold up. She seems to be just scatching all over the place right now, is that normal? Do I have to keep on adding water to the sand? How will I know if it is good enough for her to dig in? She also does not like when I watch, she will completely stop. I know I am not supposed to watch but it is just to exciting. Any advice on anything would be great.

If you keep interrupting her she eventually will stop trying to lay her eggs.. become eggbound and either need surgery or die. Go somewhere if you have to.

You shouldn't have to keep adding water, though I would mist her the same as you normally would.. just try to stay out of her line of vision.

I don't use vermiculite anymore. Vermiculite usually waterlogged and will drown the eggs. I use perlite. Place about 1 inch of perlite into the container. Just immerse the perlite in water for 5 - 10 minutes. Then, just drain all the water and use the fist to push excess water out. weight the container with perlite and water and eggs in it. every month weigh it again, if weigh decrease ...just add water

also, I just checked on her and only could see her tail. She hasn't moved for awhile, like for about 2 hours. Is this ok or should I be worried? Sorry for the questions, I am just nervous and worried because it is my first time and I really am not sure what to expect.

Also what does everyone else think about using perlite. IS it better than vermiculite?

Last edited:
I can't comment on the perlite since i have never bred chams (just my blotchie couple) but I can comment on laying. Luna laid 4 (or 5?) infertile clutches in the time I had her. It's hard work and they do rest. If she is in the hole and you just see her tail sticking up she is either digging or resting. Cover her cage with a shower current, fabric or something to give her privacy (as mentioned) - try not to peek, as tempting as it is ;) She will dig, turn around, lay her eggs, cover the hole and make her way back up into the branches. Be sure you do not bother her in any way (even misting) while she is laying.

You may well be surprised at how she looks after - here are some shots to give you an idea

BEFORE
28017May_13,_2004.JPG

DURING
28017finally!.jpg

AFTER
28017May_15th.jpg

these were taken 5/13/2004-5/15/2004

good luck!!!!

how long does it usually takes them to start digging, lay eggs, and come back out? I put the sand in there the other day, and she started to dig yesterday, when I left for work I could only see her tail. When I got home this morning at this time (6:51) she is on top of the sand sleeping still covered in sand. The whole was also covered back up. I can't tell if she laid her eggs because I can't get a good view of her and I don't want to disturb her. Can't tell if she is skinny or anything. Is this ok or did something go wrong. This is only about her 22nd day of being pregnant, mayber she was just testing a spot?

Mine takes about 26 days before she actually laid eggs. Actually took 2 days of digging before laying. So, don't worry!

If the hole has been filled in (and didn't just collapse) chances are that she has laid the eggs. Was she mated or will they be infertile?

she was mated and she laid eggs because she was up on the branch and she looks so skinny. I am going to dig them up in a little bit. and advice while digging them up and putting them into the perlite?

well.............. the advice for digging up the eggs is..... try to be gentle. i use a spoon act as a small shuvel and try to dig little by little, kinda like an archeologist digging dinosaur bones. Just keep removing top layers. Once you see the eggs, check it is is kinda white with little to no yellow. If the whole batch of eggs are really yellow... that means it is infertile. Remember when removing the eggs, make sure you place the eggs in same position as it was laid. Do not over turn or place it upside down. Laid them 1/2 covered under moist perlite and incubate them 68 - 75'F.

I found them! There are 41 eggs and they all look perfect, white as can be. I put them in perlite that I soaked for 10 mins. What should the humidity levels be at? I will post pics tomorrow, I have to go to work now.

Also she still has her colors. Do they usually lose thier gravid colors right away. Also is there a possibility that she didn't lay them all and could lay more in the next day. Should I leave the sand in there just in case?

wow 41 eggs........ that a lot, i would said there are no more eggs. I take away the sand after laying but Just to be safe, you can place her with the sand for 1-2 days. Another thing, Veiled chameleon do retain sperm. So, do check on your chameleon's food intake and weigh. She might develope eggs in a 30 - 40 days time. My Veiled never loose their coloration till a week later. Humidity wise, I place those eggs at about 70% - 90% humidity and temperture 68'F - 75'F for about 8 months for incubation. Good Luck!!

The veiled females can retain their gravid/non-receptive coloration for a few days after laying the eggs.

I always feed mine well for a couple of days and then cut back the amount of food for after that until I am sure she is working on the next clutch. It helps keep the clutch size down IMHO. Water her well too.

My veileds have always laid all the eggs at once, but I have heard it said by some people that they might not. To me, if they don't there is a reason why.

right now the temp is 74F and the humidity is 90%. Should I keep it this way for the whole time until they hatch?

Some people keep the temperatures constant and others let them fluctuate. They seem to hatch okay either way. Mine fluctuate a couple of degrees from day to night.

Mine fluctuate between 67 to 72 degree day and night.....when warmer days... between 72 and 76. The principle for incubating eggs is.... DON'T care and just let them be.... take a peek once a month and add water if it is dry.

Back
Top Bottom