Starting a new enclosure.

A907C2B1-5C3B-434B-928A-35A99D656C36.jpeg 24A96626-A194-4D80-8DB5-568B1A311BBD.jpeg First like to say hi to everyone. New here. But was wanting any info on how to do a fake wall. I have done one with spray foam and dont want to go that route again. Too time consuming. But i have seen the ones with foam board and want to know ways any of you went by when doing yours. Did you use type of cement or grout. Any other ways. Picture is what i have to work with And thanks for any info you have.

LOVE these projects! I don't have much advice as I have never done this before, but I definitely want to follow this post to see how it turns out and what methods you use. Are you waterproofing the wood? If so, how? I'm planning on doing something like this later on when my chameleon gets a little bigger so I try to learn as much as I can when someone on the forum takes on a project like this :)

LOVE these projects! I don't have much advice as I have never done this before, but I definitely want to follow this post to see how it turns out and what methods you use. Are you waterproofing the wood? If so, how? I'm planning on doing something like this later on when my chameleon gets a little bigger so I try to learn as much as I can when someone on the forum takes on a project like this :)
Any marine grade varnish will do.

image.jpg
I would line the entire inside with plexiglass or real glass with silicone(will be completely waterproof), then contact universal rock. They can custom cut or you can order and cut to fit their waterproof rock walls. They look amazing, and are very durable. I am extremely happy with my background.

I used styrofoam and wood putty for my leopard gecko's enclosure.I wanted something that would be nontoxic to avoid any fumes, that would have an easier/shorter curing process than grout, and that would not weigh much.

This is what I did:
cut foam to add rocky detail/hot glued parts together as desired.
Coat it in wood putty (1/4 of an inch)
While putty was still wet, coat it in lots of sand/small pebbles to give it a convincing rock texture (you will need to press it into the putty to get it to stick).
Let it dry overnight.
Paint with acrylic.
Seal with desired sealant.
Let dry until paint/sealant fumes are not detectable.

Wood putty is:
waterproof
paintable
mold/mildew resistant
nontoxic
has elasticity to keep from crumbling due to temperature changes/extremes
so, so cheap

I talked to a guy at poison control who said you could eat an entire tub without getting poisoned, you would just have poop issues etc. So you won't have to worry about harmful fumes or it degrading and poisoning plants/your cham. I even found the chemical specs that were registered by Elmers. The stuff is about as safe as you can get when it comes to toxicity.

The only problem is that the styrofoam doesn't stand up to damage well. You need to be gentle with it during cleaning/etc because if you drop something on it or bang it up against a hard surface it can dent and cause the paint/wood putty to flake off.

I made my enclosure about three years ago and it still looks incredible. I use it for the hides and I also created a false bottom to look like dirt. It's stood up to poop, water and everyday wear from my gecko moving around. Also, because the materials weigh basically nothing it allows you to make some really incredible setups without having to worry about weight. To clean it I just spray with a nontoxic cleaning agent and then rinse off with a low-pressure hose.

I haven't tested this process in a high-moisure environment. You may want to do a test piece to see how well your chosen sealant works. I can see how lots and lots of water may eventually cause the paint to come off and errode the putty.

Here is a screenshot of the final product in the terrarium. I was really pleased with the outcome.

Screenshot_2018-07-25-10-16-15-1.png

Back
Top Bottom