Staple feeders

purplebiotch

There have been a few threads on here lately about isopods(Or Rollie Pollies as I call them :)) and I was wondering if they could be my main staple feeder for my Cham, if I gutloaded them?

Mush, mush and more mush. That the image I get in my mind everytime someone says the "staple" word.

Would you want to eat mush everyday?

Crickets seem to be the only "staple" feeder that you can use. And still grow a relativity healthly, long lived chameleon in captivity. Crickets will eat just about anything you feed them, so you can change up the crickets diet, and flavor/taste of the cricket, with what you feed the crickets. I would'nt want to live on a pill bug diet, but push come to shove, I could probably live on crickets.

I have a few motto's: Variety is best, and Everything in moderation.

There have been a few threads on here lately about isopods(Or Rollie Pollies as I call them :)) and I was wondering if they could be my main staple feeder for my Cham, if I gutloaded them?

Correct: Rollie-Pollies as they rightfully should be named!

No, they should not be a staple feeder. (Nor should any prey / feeder choice)

I suggest TI could be as much as 25% of a chameleon's diet.

Some feeders could form as much as 40% of the diet, but I wouldnt suggest TIs be in that 40% category.

No, they should not be a staple feeder. (Nor should any prey / feeder choice)

I suggest TI could be as much as 25% of a chameleon's diet.

Some feeders could form as much as 40% of the diet, but I wouldnt suggest TIs be in that 40% category.

Hahaha we've been all over the isopod threads this week, huh?

You are really helpful. :)

This also shows I need more variety. Purplebiotch and I should get some other feeders..

Crickets seem to be the only "staple" feeder that you can use. And still grow a relativity healthly, long lived chameleon in captivity.
Really? I thought they shoudn't be a "staple", because of their terrible Ca:p ratio. 2 of 3 of my chams get gular edema when I feed them crix.

Really? I thought they shoudn't be a "staple", because of their terrible Ca:p ratio. 2 of 3 of my chams get gular edema when I feed them crix.
Dusting the crickets with a calcium powder can balance that ratio. Goal of 2 to 1. I think hydration status can play same roll in neck swelling. Not too much, but not to little, just like with supplements.

Last edited:
Dusting the crickets with a calcium powder can balance that ratio. Goal of 2 to 1. I think hydration status can play same roll in neck swelling. Not too much, but not to little, just like with supplements.
I always cover them quite havily, but it doesn't work. Are you saying too much water can be the problem?:confused:

lots of possible causes for edema, including
too little water
too many vitamins
Thank you, I know :) The only colleration I've notice with my girl are crickets. My adult male was eating almost exclusively crickets when he got edema (picky eater), now, with no crickets and little less suplemantaion it's almost gone.
They are all hydrated and I don't use much suplements (max. 50% repashy calcium plus and min. 50% calcium).

Back
Top Bottom