Stance on bleaching sticks?

ItsMike64

Established Member
So I’m in the final stages of getting things ready for my little guy and the snow has finally melted away enough for me to go stick hunting. I found a bunch of great ones and am now at the sanitation part, I watched some videos and read some posts but can’t get a good grasp at if bleach is safe and acceptable or not recommended…some say it is, some say no…what do you guys think? Unfortunately baking them isn’t really an option for me, since my oven is pretty small.

So I’m in the final stages of getting things ready for my little guy and the snow has finally melted away enough for me to go stick hunting. I found a bunch of great ones and am now at the sanitation part, I watched some videos and read some posts but can’t get a good grasp at if bleach is safe and acceptable or not recommended…some say it is, some say no…what do you guys think? Unfortunately baking them isn’t really an option for me, since my oven is pretty small.
no really needed. you could just flush them a wile in the shower to get rid of chems on them.

Parasites shouldn't be an issue unless chameleons are found in the area where the sticks are collected. Salmonella and E. coli are of some concern and are why I soap or bleach my sticks. They are not reported frequently as affecting reptiles adversely but can be carried by them. Birds can deposit them on branches. I advise rinsing thoroughly after bleaching or disinfecting.

Parasites shouldn't be an issue unless chameleons are found in the area where the sticks are collected. Salmonella and E. coli are of some concern and are why I soap or bleach my sticks. They are not reported frequently as affecting reptiles adversely but can be carried by them. Birds can deposit them on branches. I advise rinsing thoroughly after bleaching or disinfecting.
Thanks! I feel like I’d be more comfortable just bleaching them, as long as it’s safe. How much bleach should I add? They’re in a 24” wide x 18” long x 6” deep full of hot soapy water…maybe just a splash of bleach? Or does it need to be more exact?

You don't have to bleach at all if you bake at 200 for 2 hours, checking evey so often to make sure nothing catches but the heat is low enough to wear I've never seen it take, just remember no bark! Nothing crazy dry either.

No need to be concerned about bugs or parasites?
I would be more worry about chameleons liking resicuous of blech on the branches than parasites that can harm them. Chameleons live amoung bugs so that won´t do anything either. perhaps ticks? I would put them in the oven for a while then but anything than flush them with water in the shower fells overkill.

Ahhh... To sterilize or not to sterilize.... :LOL:

Bleach is fine, but can take a loooong time to off-gas completely. It took about a week in my case; temp & RH can affect this. 10% bleach/water is probably sufficient if submerging.

I've used it for a number of things. I just had to leave the items out in the fresh air until the chlorine smell was completely gone.

Personally, I'd be more concerned about residue from detergent and/or other chemicals, so if you go that route, rinse thoroughly, and it probably wouldn't hurt to use a brush during the rinse. ;)

I usually use soap and water first, then bleach if im concerned. Rinsing super well and letting it dry out is important.

I do it primarily to keep unwanted pests out (mites, scale, ants, small larva, etc)

Thanks for all the ideas and help guys! I ended up only putting a tiny bit of bleach in there, probably one part bleach and like 80 parts water lol, so I’m not sure if it really would do anything but there was soap and hot water but I guess too little bleach is better than too much! I spent a few hours scrubbing branches and peeling the bark off, my nails are super sore…probably not a good idea to do it the way I did, but ya live and learn 😆

Curious - what's wrong with bark? I brush off any visible pests like spiders or ants and remove any loose bark or Spanish moss, but I don't peel bark off branches if it's not loose. I thought the bark texture helped with grip and flex and exercising their feet.

Curious - what's wrong with bark? I brush off any visible pests like spiders or ants and remove any loose bark or Spanish moss, but I don't peel bark off branches if it's not loose. I thought the bark texture helped with grip and flex and exercising their feet.
Bark can hold mostiure bacteria and all sorts of critters, especially when logged in water for an extended period of time. Not to mention bark flakes off and can possibly get lodged in your Chams eye, so it's truly best to just avoid it. While I do think it's more "aesthetically pleasing" the Chams health comes first.

I used to bake my stuff. I started about 2 years ago just running through the shower to wash them off. I would now especially with the snow and salt or chemicals that might of been in it. But a hot shower rinse should do the trick.

Back
Top Bottom