Stan Lee is home..

CraftingDreams

OK, so here I go.. and I am still very angry to be honest..

I go into the store today to pick up Stan Lee... was originally Tuesday, but I wanted him out asap..

This is what I walked into ..

full

I have to say... I don't know if this is normal.. but I have yet to read that they like to sit in the bottom with their mouths open like that. When I first saw him (pre picture), he looked anorexic.. his body was flatter and he just looked like he was starving, but he puffed out a bit. He sat there like that for about 15 min while the girl helped others. (1 girl to run the whole store, go figure)

While I waited, I noticed a few other things that got me boiling. 1. another tank had a dead lizard in it. Right in the front and it was already sunken in badly. The leopard gecko had a pile of crap in the corner that looked bigger then it was last Saturday, which means the "butt hat" (butt to be polite) that cleans the cages did not clean that one. Everything looked dirty, and the legless lizard had a bunch of spider webs in its tank..

I contacted the guy who runs all the stores and went through it with him yet again.. just as we had with Stan Lee when I first explained to him he shouldn't be in a tank... he told me he asked some breeders and they informed him that Chams, especially Jacksons .. were perfectly fine to be in an a tank.

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD KEEP A CHAM IN A 36"X 12" X 12" OLD FISH TANK!!! that's exactly what he was in..

The girl pulled the top up.. again struggling with the lights since they were jammed up between the tank screen and the top of the shelf.. and asked me if I wanted to get him.. so I did.. I helped myself. If I had more I would have taken the leopard gecko as well, but Ill be calling and seeing if the manager of the store will give me a better price. Shame I didn't think of that with Stan Lee, but I just wanted him out. Anyway, the man I spoke to today...back to him.. I told him my concerns with SL and the fact that hes been in this tank for so long in this store.. he said that if anything happens, he will be happy to refund my money. I told him I really don't care about the money.. I want him healthy and happy... the money is not the point... I get the whole guarantee thing, but to be honest, I would be crushed if he were to pass...

Im rambling... sorry.. Im just really ticked.

So, we get him home.. this is the cage with the Sheff in it... looks packed..LOL

full

I picked up a Sheffleira (sp) for inside his terrarium, and well, its HUGE... also set me back $30.. not sure if that is normal or not. I was hoping to get 2 or 3 different types of plants but it wasn't cheap and I wanted to make sure I had enough to do what I needed. I got it home, washed it, and repotted it.. added river rock in the bottom, then an organic soil. I added some of the larger stones to the top so he cant get into the soil.. I know I can trim it, but honestly, I want to go bigger on his cage, and I don't want to trim it too much .. then it wont give him plenty in a bigger dwelling. My next buy will be the Pathos going up the wood.. its Stunning and I think he would love it.

I have the mister hooked up.. and waiting to test it out.. hoping it doesn't go off during the night and flood my living room.. LOL.. I have the pan and daisy trays Ill be using coming this week.

I also put a container in there for his food. The girl said she thinks they fed him Thursday or Friday, but not since shes been in.. I put a cricket in his box on the way home, the cricket is gone, but not sure if he ate it or it escaped out the hole. (don't tell my daughter she will freak).. then again, don't tell my husband .. it was in his new car.. LOL

So, I hope I didn't confuse anyone... I type fast and I am still heated.. the whole thing has me just annoyed as ever.. I have a slight case of OCD so every time I went in there, my nerves cringed.. and its just at a boiling point with the dead lizard. The girl couldn't even remove it because the others would get out from the cage next to it.. that's how half witted they have these set ups.

If you have any suggestions, I am totally open.. I may not be able to do it until Wednesday or Thursday..lol.. but I want him happy, so if its something he needs, It will get done.

Here is a pic of Stan Lee in his new enclosure...

full

full

thanks guys.. .Im so happy he is home.. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that is so sad. I absolutely hate the pet stores like that. There are so many too..so sad. Especially the dead lizard, ugh, that's just so messed up! Really what you have him in now is already a trillion times better than what he was in. The reason I got my first chameleon was because of a similar situation. Full grown veiled stuck in a 10 gallon tank, dehydrated and emaciated. After a lot of vet visits he got all better and lived another 3 years. It's really great that you contacted the owner, I would have too. Best of luck to you and Stan Lee! Even if he doesn't make it through, I'm sure he's great-full to not live the rest of his life out there.

That's a lucky jacksons you got there, good save,and the enclosure looks very nice,especially compared to where he was :/
Congrats and keep the updates happening!!

I dont think I am done with them. I know they will get more. The girl said she didnt think so since they have not been selling reptiles.. sales have been non existant. At this point they are not even ordering more. I call bs. Im hoping they dont but wont hold my breath.

I cant seem to get this reptirain to work. So, ill be misting by hand until I get the mist king.

QUESTION: should I be misting at night?

Im also going to keep my eyes open for a larger habitat for him. Its like playing wheres waldo with this and the shefflara in there...lol.. I know he has to love it.. nowhere to hide in the store.. now hes invisable. My daughter as looking for him last night to check on him and all the sudden she jumped back.. he was right infront of her face looking at her. The foilage on this plant is amazing.

Oh and I do have one more question regarding heat. In the winter it gets pretty chilly. Should I pick up a ceramic heat emitter for the evenings..

Thank you guys so much for the help..I dont think.I could do it without ya.

I'm so proud to have you in the chameleon community. My hat is off to you.
Now you say they were feeding him on Thursday or Friday. Are you saying they were only feeding him once a week?? That's just crazy. I could see them feeding there snakes once a week but lizards need to eat ALL the time. I offer my Chams food every single day. (Unless there's already food inside the cage).
Good luck with your new guy!!

Just a couple photos from this morning.. :)

full

full

Man that is a happy looking jacksons chameleon :)
He's probably all like whaaaaaaaaaaaaa?!?! What is this wet stuff all over these weird green things lol. Great job,he looks off to a great restart!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is good that you will give him a good home.

It is rather sad though that the pet store is making money off animal abuse and guilting people into buying the animals to save them.

You did the right thing... and I am glad you are doing right by the animal.

He would have died for sure in their .... umm.. "care".... if you can call it that.

Still,

as far as this shlock-y pet store is concerned ...

in their minds they have learned NOTHING. I guarantee you that.

If anything, is just re-enforces their commitment TO sell reptiles...

since more sold and less dead = profit.

They are probably like... "oh goody, now it is time time buy some more to restock."

Maybe you could print off some Cham care sheets off this forum and casually drop them off at this store in a sort of friendly, educational way maybe if you pop in to buy crickets....?
I know... I know...
it is still supporting them.

But sometimes it takes a spoonful of Honey to educate... where a barrel full of vinegar will fail.

That is just my 2 cents, and I know it is hard.

But I have been in the pet business for over 35 years... and sadly have seen more than my share of animal cruelty.:(

So that is why I say that I see more work to be done here --

since they will get more in and abuse (& kill) them if not properly educated.

My hat is off to you and good luck with your new pet.
You are a good caring owner and thank fully this little guy has found a family who cares.
:eek::eek::eek:

Thank you.
Todd

www.lightyourreptiles.com

Misting at night would only help with humidity, since he'll be asleep he won't wake up to drink. The humidity should be fine with daily misting, I do it three times a day and give him 15 minute showers pretty often. Your live plants will help with humidity too, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Craigwyatt
Now you say they were feeding him on Thursday or Friday. Are you saying they were only feeding him once a week?? That's just crazy.

I asked her when the last time they fed him was, and the girl said she thought it was yesterday (Saturday) but then said no, they didn't feed them when she was there, so it had to be Thursday or Friday. Ive been offering him crickets.. hes not eaten yet that I can see.. I had one in the box gave me for him, and its gone. Again, not sure if it escaped out the hole or if he ate it.. I know it will take a bit for him to get use to his new home, so Im not expecting him to eat a lot, but seeing him eat would put me a bit more at ease.

I really feel bad for this girl.. when she saw the reaction I get from him instead of the petrified reaction they get from him, she looked like she wanted to cry. Seems they have had all of these reptiles for some time now, and with the way the cages and whole area looks, I am not surprised.

Venutus1

I fully agree and this isn't something I normally do. I know as well they will get more in as they sell them.. and the response I got from this guy saying, the breeders he spoke to all said a glass tank was fine.. well, I wanted to reach through the phone and strangle him. An old 36x12x12" fish tank is NOT fine for a Chameleon of any sort. I would venture to bet he was consulting the breeders he purchases from.

I am actually working on "Flash cards". A bit bigger then normal, but laminated, so that the three girls there can keep them handy and know the who what when and where of each of the animals. They don't have a ton of them.. but those they do have, certainly should not be kept how they are. The mulch they keep them on seriously drives me bonkers. Not sure they are allowed to change anything, but maybe if they can learn more that is a step in the right direction.

Ill be working on the Chameleons and Bearded Dragons first, then the leopard gecko, legless lizard, etc. I think the girl said they were going to get the tank cleaned and move the bearded dragons up there. Its horribly sad to know that they have all been in that place for 2+ months. Even the GM I spoke to said he didn't understand why they haven't sold anything in so long. The 2 or 3 other stores apparently sell plenty. Its no wonder.. everything looks horribly dirty and just sad in this one.

My 15 year old offered her time free of charge if she could go in and take care of the reptiles and make sure they are done right. He told her to come back when she is 16 and he would be happy to give her a job since no one seems to want part time min wage. The girl there said they wont hire anyone else. Three girls to work that store every day, one girl at any given time. You NEVER see more then 1 worker in there, even when they are busy. That tells me they are cheap, so its not likely they will upgrade their displays, or change their ways for the better of the animals let alone access for the girls there. They cant even open one tank without the other opening and everything getting out. :( Its probably how they ended up having a leopard gecko loose in the hardware store next door. Its been running around for about 2 months feeding off of crickets it finds.

Its honestly just sad.

Misting at night would only help with humidity, since he'll be asleep he won't wake up to drink. The humidity should be fine with daily misting, I do it three times a day and give him 15 minute showers pretty often. Your live plants will help with humidity too, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I misted last night because I wasn't sure. .not too much, but enough to wet the whole top set of leaves to trickle down. Ive been misting off and on today.. maybe 1x an hour or so.. trying to figure out why the mister isn't working..

Man that is a happy looking jacksons chameleon :)
He's probably all like whaaaaaaaaaaaaa?!?! What is this wet stuff all over these weird green things lol. Great job,he looks off to a great restart!

He really does seem happier.. he was all over the tree this morning..

I loved these photos of him.. Im going to print them out and put them in a keychain with his details for his on the go bag or carrier for the vets..

I misted last night because I wasn't sure. .not too much, but enough to wet the whole top set of leaves to trickle down. Ive been misting off and on today.. maybe 1x an hour or so.. trying to figure out why the mister isn't working..

What's wrong with your mister? What brand is it?

Jackson's absolutely love long mistings .
Mine typically get misted for 10 to 15 minutes at a time.
I don't mist at night, as indoors it could lead to mold.
This caresheet by the forum moderators is filled with good info https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/jacksons/

Here are 2 links that may help you get the Reptirain working, if it isn't broken.
The nozzles might be adjusted shut or clogged.
Mineral deposits can clog nozzles, so you might give them a soaking in vinegar to clear them up.(used to be called HabbaMister)
The nozzles have to be higher than the pump or else they won't work, according to this video by the manufacturer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dn_UyiFHSU
This is the written instruction sheet to refer to:http://zoomed.com/Library//ProductDBFiles/HM-10_Repti_Rain_Instructions.pdf
Try running it without a nozzle and see if it pumps out water.

I use Mistking misting systems for my chams and have never regretted it.

What's wrong with your mister? What brand is it?

Ugg, Reptirain... and we have been reading.. seems there are a LOT of issues with them. I turn it on and you can hear something briefly then nothing.. That's it. So, we mist the crap out of him a lot during the day.. and I will work on getting the Mist King.

Lovereps Jackson's absolutely love long mistings .
Mine typically get misted for 10 to 15 minutes at a time.
I don't mist at night, as indoors it could lead to mold.
This caresheet by the forum moderators is filled with good info https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/...eets/jacksons/

Here are 2 links that may help you get the Reptirain working, if it isn't broken.
The nozzles might be adjusted shut or clogged.
Mineral deposits can clog nozzles, so you might give them a soaking in vinegar to clear them up.(used to be called HabbaMister)
The nozzles have to be higher than the pump or else they won't work, according to this video by the manufacturer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dn_UyiFHSU
This is the written instruction sheet to refer to:http://zoomed.com/Library//ProductDB...structions.pdf
Try running it without a nozzle and see if it pumps out water.

I use Mistking misting systems for my chams and have never regretted it.

I will try that tonight and see if I can get it to work. My daughter was reading to me when I was putting my son to nap and it seems like you have to go through all kinds of drama just to get it to work.. plug it into this, or it wont work, do this or it wont work.. what ever happened to out of the box products that are user friendly? lol..

I will soak the nozzles.. they look like they have a bit of build up.. water is in the tubes, just nothing coming out.. so maybe that is the case.. it would be nice to be able to get it to work even if just for a short time until I get the Mist King.

Thank you guys.. I really appreciate it... I posted in the medical as well.. we found 3 little tiny black bugs on him.. so I am really hoping they are not mites.. along with the Mist king, Im going to get the mite products from LLL reptile and see if I cant nip it in the bud. Might be better to have stuff like that on hand anyway.

Back
Top Bottom