Stable weight...issue?

Geckoxp

Established Member
I am very very curious if anyone has run into this issue at all before with there cham..

I have a 9 month old cham that I purchased from the Kammers (pictured below) that for the past couple months has maintained his weight between 74-78g. He grew up real fast and by 5 months was in the larger cage but hasn't really grown at all since. He has not taken to any other feeder then crickets after I tried silkworms, butterworms, superworms and hornworms...He just looks at them and walks away. He free roam feeds so keeping anything in a cup will not get his attention at all. I have been feeding him crickets every other day and he will eat 1-3 per feeding but that is it. He is eating full sized crickets at this point being gutloaded with cricket chow from flukers and water crystals. The cricks are being warmed up so gutloading them has not been a problem.

Maybe its just the season and being in Rochester NY it is a little bit chillier then down south but the temps are still warm where the chams are kept and my 4.5 month old Elwood has grown from 4g to 26g in a matter of 1.5 months. I have checked on temps and hydration and everything is dead on as recommended. I have a 100w at a distance and a 75w in a deep bulb holder directly on the cage. Izzy is a very active cham and in case you are wondering he can not see the other cham at all.

I am going to order more silkworms to try Elwood on to see if he will take to them and order more cricks for the both...I will try silkies 1 more time but if anyone has any ideas as to what the issue may be or anyways to get him to eat more or just leave be please let me know.

Maybe this is something I shouldn't care to much about right now as he has not lost a major amount of weight here. When Spring and Summer hits again he may pop right out of it and this is just a seasonal thing...idk.

Does he look healthy enough...he hasn't shed in a couple months as well....anyways just concerned thats all...thanks for all the help!

2000993191118682554_fs.jpg

2000962169031994103_fs.jpg

2003623870515895990_rs.jpg

hey! your not the only one out their with a cham not eating. my veiled is on some kind of crazy fasting trip. he hasnt had anything solid to eat in 3 weeks. i have to give him a liquid vitamin, mineral, and calcium sqirt(5ml) every morning. i think it is just the time of year.

hey! your not the only one out their with a cham not eating. my veiled is on some kind of crazy fasting trip. he hasnt had anything solid to eat in 3 weeks. i have to give him a liquid vitamin, mineral, and calcium sqirt(5ml) every morning. i think it is just the time of year.

I say your chameleon looks fine and healthy..
Your chameleon should start slowing down in the growth (especially since he's 9 months already. Don't compare the growth of a baby to juvenile. that's when they have a huge growth spurt)

Some chameleons, like humans, have different metabolic rate.
I wouldn't worry unless he stop eating altogether? if so, for how long?
It has been cold lately. So, it might be those season.

For Justin:
3 weeks, Justin?
ummm that's quite a long fast.
Do you have any access to do a fecal flotation test and fecal smear test?
If you do, I say do it...

also be careful when you squirt anything directly to your chameleon's mouth.
You do not want to cause a lung aspiration to your cham.

Last edited:
my 10 month old veiled wasnt eating for a couple weeks either, i think it was because it got really cold all of the sudden but hes eating good now

Back
Top Bottom