Springtails

BocaJan

I was reading up on springtails to put into my pyg enclosure and found that they can be parasitical in humans. I have my rolly polly's ordered, but question springtails. Do you use them in your terrarium?

I was reading up on springtails to put into my pyg enclosure and found that they can be parasitical in humans. I have my rolly polly's ordered, but question springtails. Do you use them in your terrarium?

I do, they are in every one of the 4 I have set up so far. I have talked to a lot of dart frog keepers who have used them for years. One of my terrariums has been set up since last August but that it the old one I have going. No issues so far. I wish I could get some rolly polly's but no luck. I would not replace the springtails just want to add the rolly polly's to what I have.

Laurie, where do you get your springtails? Danny gave me a website but they don't have them. I can get the sow bugs easily but not the springs. Can you give me a place to purchase them? Thanks

Is there a show near you soon?
The dart frog people usually have them for sale.
I prefer the temperate species over the tropical species due to the cooler temps we keep pygmies at.

-Brad

Oh yea, pruritic dermatitis. I just introduced these guys to my vivs -- two in the bedchamber. Will let you know if I become a sentinel number.

Laurie, where do you get your springtails? Danny gave me a website but they don't have them. I can get the sow bugs easily but not the springs. Can you give me a place to purchase them? Thanks

Here is the guy I get mine from, he is very nice to deal with & not expensive a good combination.:)

Michael Shrom <[email protected]>

Now where do you get sow bugs?

Now where do you get sow bugs?

Laurie,

All of mine have come from collecting field trips.
I know they are around your house ( I have collected them in Montana)
When it gets a bit warmer, search under rocks and logs in your flower beds.

-Brad

I can collect pill or sow bugs? whatever they're the rollie pollies and i can get hundreds of them in my backyard, not sure why they're so populated in central/northern Jersey?

double dz has lots of stuff but they're pricey when it comes to pill bugs.

Bugsincyberspace.com is where I ended up. They have a package deal for $20 you get everything you need for a pgy terrarium. Thank you Danny for the help.

OK, I've just gotta ask because I'm imagining springtails running in and out of a persons ear and nose and worse- in what way are they parasitic to people?

LOL

Haven't a clue, that's why I'm asking. didn't seem logical, but I always question things I read and try to get verification.

OK, I've just gotta ask because I'm imagining springtails running in and out of a persons ear and nose and worse- in what way are they parasitic to people?

LOL

Affected patients complained of slightly raised rec, black, and/or white lesions that itched, and it felt as if something was crawling beneath the skin. When scraped or rubbed with vinegar or antifungal cream, some areas produced short red or white "fibres" that moved. In a few instances, entire creatures with "scorpion-like tails that curved downward" were teased out.

OK that gave me the heeby jeebies. I don't think I'll be culturing those at my place any time soon. That was possibly worse than I thought. LOL

wow so does everyone still believe that the benefits from the spring tails is worth the risk of being on Discovery channels monsters inside me.
Does anyone know of an alternative bug to take there place in cleaning?

Back
Top Bottom