Spring Garden Rhinos (Calumma parsonii parsonii)

Motherlode Chameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
These are some photo's of Rhinos my male Orange Eye Calumma parsonii parsonii in the garden today. He is in the garden soaking up some natural UV rays and water from the garden hose. These are some of his favorite activities especially during Spring weather.

Rhinos my male Orange Eye Calumma parsonii parsonii
iNPXVL.jpg

QXgQ9T.jpg

wH6vTP.jpg

Bfai8q.jpg

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Boy, I need to post updates again!

Rhinos is photogenic. However he is an older Calumma parsonii parsonii. When I compare my older to younger Calumma parsonii parsonii. I definitely think baby/younger chameleons are along the lines of labels such as darlings and adorable. Probably only Rhinos mother should or is allowed to call him darling/adorable.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Oh, he’s in the voting list, Yay! Fingers crossed for the final selection.
My boy is coming up to 3 and has just turned 530g and is eating like a pig now.

Oh, he’s in the voting list, Yay! Fingers crossed for the final selection.
My boy is coming up to 3 and has just turned 530g and is eating like a pig now.

Thanks. I normally have not participated in the photo contests.

Good luck growing your male up. I would raise them to grow a healthy way and not to become overly obese to max out on size. I have seen some Orange Eye's grown excessively overweight. I think the range of weight for healthy adult male Orange Eye Calumma parsonii parsonii males that I have seen is from 450-950 grams.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Thank you Jeremy, that’s very important advice, yes that’s definitely something I don’t want to do is feed him to grow quicker than his body wants, I’m anxious to have him feeding but even that is not as simple as it sounds so i certainly will be mindful not to push him and let him grow slowly, last year he put on about 25 g a month but I would think he will slow down now he is nearly three.

Thank you again.

Thank you Jeremy, that’s very important advice, yes that’s definitely something I don’t want to do is feed him to grow quicker than his body wants, I’m anxious to have him feeding but even that is not as simple as it sounds so i certainly will be mindful not to push him and let him grow slowly, last year he put on about 25 g a month but I would think he will slow down now he is nearly three.

Thank you again.

Just some of my guidance.

Most everyone gets caught up in how much their Parsonii weigh. That is no fault to the keepers. As Parsonii are a neat deal. As they are the big species on the block. However when not paying mind to how they are grown problems can arise.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Just a thought, but in the wild aren't they usually even larger than in captivity? I would think they eat a ton out in nature. Mine eats anything that crosses his path when he's outside.

Just a thought, but in the wild aren't they usually even larger than in captivity? I would think they eat a ton out in nature. Mine eats anything that crosses his path when he's outside.

This is something I think about a lot and for a long time. 1st they are receiving the best UVA and UVB rays. 2nd they are living in optimum growing temperatures and humidity. 3rd they are living uncaged and allowed to roam wherever in whatever tree they want. 4th they have a large selection of food items to choose from (they can hunt vertebrates). I think all these conditions allow the prospects of Calumma parsonii ssp. to grow large in wild. On that note, I have seen huge Parsonii in the wild and in captivity.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Very true, I was just thinking maybe they're naturally supposed to be pretty large as long as exercise/hunting is available for them to do. Of course you have been doing this longer than me, just sharing my thoughts! Thanks for posting.

Back
Top Bottom