Spotted wasp (I think) in my enclosure. Not sure how it got there. Should I leave it?

Panthro413

Established Member
I just noticed a wasp or some kind of flying insect in my enclosure. Iv only fed my cham , crickets, wax, meal and super worms. I dnt think any change into this, or do they? My enclosure is never open. And Its to cold for bee's outside. Any ideas or advice on if I should leave it in there or will it sting my chams thoat if he tries to eat it?

Attachments

• 20171025_110054.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 103
  • 20171025_110044.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 67
  • 20171025_110747.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 92
I just noticed a wasp or some kind of flying insect in my enclosure. Iv only fed my cham , crickets, wax, meal and super worms. I dnt think any change into this, or do they? My enclosure is never open. And Its to cold for bee's outside. Any ideas or advice on if I should leave it in there or will it sting my chams thoat if he tries to eat it?
Just to be on the safe side take it out. Use a cup and a stiff piece of paper. I always put them out side and let them fly away. But that’s me and personality kicking in;)

Just to be on the safe side take it out. Use a cup and a stiff piece of paper. I always put them out side and let them fly away. But that’s me and personality kicking in;)
To late :-/ I literaly just went to grab it with the tweezers and it started flying around. It immediately caught my chams attention and he moved pretty fast up a branch and got it from pretty far. He got its head first so the stinger was the last piece he ate. Looks like hes looking around for more lol.. that was cool to witness, iv never seen him so eager to eat something. Right when I was trying to get it out with my 10" bamboo tongs.. now hes basking. Maybe I should look into getting flying instects for him that are safe. That was cool. Lol

Well after doing some googling I figured out what it was, not a wasp. It was infact a Black Soldier Fly, I forgot I also tried feeding him some calci worms last month, one of them must of been at the bottom of cage and transformed. Black Soldier Fly are sanitary unlike the common fly and do not sting. Good to know! Maybe Ill get some more and let them change so
he can have some of those. Because he literally didnt eat any of the calci worms. Some fell in cage and since he didnt eat them the rest died or at least i thought they did because they were brown when in fact they were just getting close reaching the later stage of larval life.

Attachments

• Samuel Ewing Hermetia Illucens.jpg
    Samuel Ewing Hermetia Illucens.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 82
They tend to love flying insects...moths are good but certain ones depending on where you live are safe. Worms are hard to keep in the enclosure alive due to misting etc. mealworms are not my choice of feeding they are really good for them and they tend to aggravate them if near by just keep that in mind. There’s a video of chameleons eating butterflies super cool
In their natural environment on National Geographic. Glad it wasn’t a wasp!

* mealworms are Not good for chameleons I’m sorry I was super tired when replying To your post
Iv only fed my guy mini mealworms as a treat, he doesnt care for them much. He use to like superworms but wont eat any as of late. Has never ate the wax or calci worms I purchased. I saw how he loved the black soldier fly so i purchased some calci worms lstnight, stored in small cricket pen till they pupitate

I wouldn't worry too much about it. During the summer, stray honey bees would get caught in my screened in porch so I put one in the freezer for a few minutes, then dumped it on a branch. My panther was on it so fast I barely had time to record it on my phone.
I also let my bsfl pupate into flies, same with waxworms. "If it flies, it dies" lol

Back
Top Bottom