Spiny Dino help!!!

Okay I will let him be in the shower if he makes it to me. And if I do by chance get a poop sample I will try and take it to the vet and see what's up with that if need be before I take him to the vet. Really hope he makes it I would love to have this little guy. I will keep everyone updated and feel free to chim in on anything if anyone wants to
Most certainly will! He should get be getting shipped tomorrow and hopefully get to me the next day

You cannot ship an animal in that condition.

A stool sample--if he is still alive--is of no value. You can't do anything even if he was loaded in parasites because he is too unstable to handle anything.

This animal could be dying from kidney failure or starvation. Starvation and dehydration will both cause kidney failure.

This animal needs to be stabilized. It needs to be under misters. Any handling--even giving subcutaneous fluids--will likely send it into shock. Even if--IF--the animal can be saved from this immediate crisis, it is probably suffered irreparable damage to its kidneys.

I can't believe anyone is thinking of shipping such a pathetic creature. (Note: I've just quickly scanned a few of the posts.)

OK cool. I left a message on the other thread. I'm in NYC and would be happy to go over and take a look. I don't know if I could help but I am happy to try to help. Unfortunately, I not available until tomorrow (although I could do something during the day today just not this evening). If he's not already on his way, you guys can PM me anytime.
Hmm I'm not sure if his schedule I think he is in college. Also I'm not sure what would be best for the little guy at this point to just go ahead and try to get him to me or to wait another day if he isn't available today.

You cannot ship an animal in that condition.

A stool sample--if he is still alive--is of no value. You can't do anything even if he was loaded in parasites because he is too unstable to handle anything.

This animal could be dying from kidney failure or starvation. Starvation and dehydration will both cause kidney failure.

This animal needs to be stabilized. It needs to be under misters. Any handling--even giving subcutaneous fluids--will likely send it into shock. Even if--IF--the animal can be saved from this immediate crisis, it is probably suffered irreparable damage to its kidneys.

I can't believe anyone is thinking of shipping such a pathetic creature. (Note: I've just quickly scanned a few of the posts.)
Well considering the caretakers current status I'm not sure the poor guy has much more of a choice

Dying in peace is a choice.
i guess but i think i would rather take the chance and try and save his life. miracles happen and i would hate to see him die if something wasn't actually wrong with him it was just something some kind of living condition. (not like i would ever actually know anyways)

I agree with you Joshua, he's going to die either way in my opinion, it's either do a last ditch effort to save his life and in the process he dies, or perhaps he survives. Or he dies with no possibility of ever knowing if he could have survived. There's such a thing as dying with dignity for an older animal that you can do nothing for, and then there are these situations. Obviously you should not treat him for parasites unless you get him stable, now we know that. However if he has an RI, I think you need to treat him for that no matter what. That will cause spiraling and no better health no matter how much you try. I said this in another thread and I will say it here to. If you have karo syrup or a type of honey, rubbing it across his mucous membranes and gum may help? I don't know how much it helps with chameleons but I have had it help with reptiles who needed extra energy, though these guys were fruit eating geckos, and various species of mammals. I don't think it will hurt at all though. I would be interested in knowing how much it perked them up. At the moment I have no one who would change enough from testing it on them. But pedialyte would likely definitely help.

I agree with you Joshua, he's going to die either way in my opinion, it's either do a last ditch effort to save his life and in the process he dies, or perhaps he survives. Or he dies with no possibility of ever knowing if he could have survived. There's such a thing as dying with dignity for an older animal that you can do nothing for, and then there are these situations. Obviously you should not treat him for parasites unless you get him stable, now we know that. However if he has an RI, I think you need to treat him for that no matter what. That will cause spiraling and no better health no matter how much you try. I said this in another thread and I will say it here to. If you have karo syrup or a type of honey, rubbing it across his mucous membranes and gum may help? I don't know how much it helps with chameleons but I have had it help with reptiles who needed extra energy, though these guys were fruit eating geckos, and various species of mammals. I don't think it will hurt at all though. I would be interested in knowing how much it perked them up. At the moment I have no one who would change enough from testing it on them. But pedialyte would likely definitely help.
if i get to the point where i think he can handle something a little stressful like that i will try it for sure. you are right on the RI and i will for sure keep an eye out in the shower for the signs if he makes it to me. im waiting to hear back from the guy about some progress.

Just that he doesn't feel good and has low energy. Likely that he hasn't eaten enough or drunk enough lately has contributed to it. But a lot of what has been talked about in this thread can be anything that causes that. He could just be exhausted from trying to stay alive. Usually them falling asleep during the day time is a huge sign of exhaustion and just trying to conserve energy. So most people freak out about it because it is usually a sign something is wrong, at the moment we already know something is, and we are going to try to get him stable before taking him to the vet if possible. So letting him sleep is fine in my opinion when he needs it during the day as it helps him conserve much needed energy. Preferably he should stay awake all day. But at the moment he feels like utter crap. So it's understandable. If he wakes up during showers (which would be most hopeful and I definitely would suggest to try to keep him awake during these times because otherwise he won't drink) this would be good. Other times for the first few days or so if he is sleeping a lot during the day. I would just let it happen. Of course do your normal care for him even if he is asleep. I definitely would recommend pedialyte and the karo syrup if he is sleeping so much because those are easy ways to perk him up with out putting too much stress on his organs trying to get him to process food before he is hydrated.

Just that he doesn't feel good and has low energy. Likely that he hasn't eaten enough or drunk enough lately has contributed to it. But a lot of what has been talked about in this thread can be anything that causes that. He could just be exhausted from trying to stay alive. Usually them falling asleep during the day time is a huge sign of exhaustion and just trying to conserve energy. So most people freak out about it because it is usually a sign something is wrong, at the moment we already know something is, and we are going to try to get him stable before taking him to the vet if possible. So letting him sleep is fine in my opinion when he needs it during the day as it helps him conserve much needed energy. Preferably he should stay awake all day. But at the moment he feels like utter crap. So it's understandable. If he wakes up during showers (which would be most hopeful and I definitely would suggest to try to keep him awake during these times because otherwise he won't drink) this would be good. Other times for the first few days or so if he is sleeping a lot during the day. I would just let it happen. Of course do your normal care for him even if he is asleep. I definitely would recommend pedialyte and the karo syrup if he is sleeping so much because those are easy ways to perk him up with out putting too much stress on his organs trying to get him to process food before he is hydrated.
Sounds good.

Update to everyone this is a picture of him before he was shipped IMO he looks better than before but obviously still has some way to go but it gives me even higher hopes that he will make it to me. I am really crunching to get his free range done and will be working on it in the morning as well as right now before I have to go to work. Don't mind the quad fixture just laying up there as I need to find a way to get it handing from the ceiling so he can't get to it I will also have to trim back his tree a bit so he can't get to the light he's pretty lucky I just had this fixture from lightyourreptiles laying in the house lol. That being said all the ideas are greatly appreciated for hanging his lighting and getting a mistking nozzle or two mounted somewhere for him . Let's get this boy back to being healthy and happy!

Attachments

• IMG_0741.JPG
    IMG_0741.JPG
    180 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0739.PNG
    IMG_0739.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 106
Long long long warm shower when he arrives and maybe some electrolytes if he will take them without too much stress. Then solitude and hydration until he doesn't look like death. (Ousties do have a more hollow-eyed look than other chams, but he did look rough in those last photos.) At that point, I would take him into the vet. If you get a fecal, at least you can know if it is parasites even if you can't treat right away. Obviously, practice really rigid quarantine with him. I'll be worried all night. Let us know when he gets there, please.

We are rooting for you, little guy :worried face:

I've been watching thus and the other thread. I don't have a lot to offer, when my last Cham took ill, he passed within days, so this hits home for me. Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress. You have many people thinking of you and this little Cham.

thank you guys very much. im looking on lightyourreptiles and i see they sell a ceiling mount for this fixture would i have to wait for that to get here or is there something else i can find around town to do the trick? really would hate to have to wait to hand his light up as thats a pretty big issue right now. not so much on the misting part as i can hand mist him and give him lots of showers until i get a mistking nozzle set up for him i have plenty of tubing and a couple double sides nozzles to use just need to decide how to get em up.

Back
Top Bottom