Spines looking shrivelled

grimjob

Established Member
Hey all so noticed the other day that my veiled chams dorsal spines looked shrivelled like he has been rubbing them on the wire on the roof or something, anyone have anything similar like these here are some pics of the spines the cage and the wire thanks
ve4ejevu.jpg
uguqubeh.jpg
a6u2ujuv.jpg
amejyje2.jpg

Is that black at the bottom of the cage dirt, or just black plastic? If it's substrate, remove it ASAP. Substrate is something that chams can ingest and get impacted on, and becomes a breeding ground for bacteria that could make them very ill.

I'm not really able to clearly make out your pictures. I'm not sure what you mean by the spines looking shriveled from these pics. Could you perhaps take a macro shot of the individual spine to which you are referring?

It may be helpful if you filled out the "how to ask for help" form. There may be something with your husbandry that raises red flags.

that is dirt on the bottom of his cage and he has been raised with soiled filled cages his whole life, and never had a problem, so not to concerned about that, its just more his dorsal spikes, its the ones in the middle of his back, ill get a clearer pic with the camera this afternoon when i get home. thanks

Just because he's been okay so far does not guarantee that for the future. I'd take the ten minutes to scoop out the dirt.

Constantly moist substrate, especially soil, is a notorious breeding ground for bacteria, fungus, and mold. One of the illnesses these can cause is skin infections. In fact, it's not uncommon for these skin infections to affect their spines. If this is the case, he will need to see the vet and prescribed antibiotics.

If there were ever a cricket down there and he were to shoot his tongue out at it, he'd surely end up with a mouthful of that dirt. Even if it doesn't impact him, I'm sure he doesn't appreciate it.

Remember, these guys live up in trees. How often do you think they come into contact with this type of soil? They've adapted to thrive in the natural environment in which they live, and they'll thrive in our living rooms as long as we can recreate their natural environment to the best of our abilities.

ahhhh makes sense well i cant take it out cause the whole floor is filled with it to grow those plants but what i did on the weekend was put white rocks on it, will that help?
thanks for the help

If the rocks are larger than his mouth and he can't eat them, then yes that should be fine. I would often put larger smooth rocks on the soil of my potted plants to avoid the issue of my cham eating dirt.

yep they are large so he cant swallow them, it looks good will take a pic and put that up to

It's preferred for plants to be in pots, rather than planted directly into the cage. When they're in pots, it's easy to remove them and clean the enclosure. On the other hand, if they're planted into the enclosure itself with soil, it's easier to leave behind dead feeders or feces, which will grow bacteria, mold, fungus, etc. This would be even harder to upkeep with large rocks in there, where the feces or dead feeders could fall in between the rocks and become easily overlooked, until they're harboring mold and bacteria. Even if the chameleon doesn't come into direct contact with the soil, he can still acquire an illness or infection from the mold spores or bacteria that have reproduced within the cage. Also, the whole cage (soil) should not be moist all of the time. It should dry out completely in between mistings, which is difficult to manage when the whole cage is dirt with plants. Soil retains moisture and humidity, and the constant humidity would make them more susceptible to respiratory or skin infections as well.

Unless you're willing to take all the rocks out everyday, take all of the soil out to let it dry completely, and pick through it to remove all of the feces and dead, decomposing feeders, I would put the plants into pots. You still want to put rocks on the soil in the pots so he doesn't have access to it.

A better picture would for sure help. The discoloration along his spine could be a thermal burn.

Edit: I was able to zoom in your pics and I'm leaning towards thermal burn which would explain the discoloration and issue w spikes.

You want the cage to dry out after mistings. The soil does not allow this to happen. Keeping your Cham in a moist environment all the time can lead to respiratory infection. Putting in the time to change your setup could save you big bucks down the road.

ill check the temps again, you could be right with the thermal burn as its a new cage and the branch under the heat light is closer then his last cage so he could be getting burnt, i look to get a smaller wattage light,
thanks for all the information, you have helped and given me new information,
thanks again, will report back with updates,

If he has a tendency to hang upside down from the top screen, a solution is the raise the highest branch up so that there's literally only space between the branch and screen for his body to fit. He won't have the urge to hang upside down if he feels that he can't go any higher up. It's here that you want to consider as his basking spot and measure the basking temps at.

ive never seen him hang upside down from the top, but his basking branch might be a bit close to his heat light, ill raise the heat light when i get home and see if that helps and will get his basking temp around 30-31c, is there any cream i can put to help heal, thanks again for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom