Spikes colors 😍

Steve A

Chameleon Enthusiast
He just looks so beautiful when he's hanging out in his resting area. I can't believe he's on this tiny branch lol. He used to ALWAYS sleep on this branch but grew out of it. He's a silly guy. First time he's been on it in probably a month.

20231006_183956.jpg

I thought it was a palm tree. I was thinking of getting one for my cage.
Spike REALLY likes them. I know some people don't like using them because they aren't the best for adults to climb on. However, Spike climbed on them a couple times just fine. Usually he just uses them for cover as I intended lol. And I have them sitting in large pots at the bottom of the enclosure. So if I want to swap them out when he's older, I can easily do so. They'll slide right out. I'm glad I decided on those. They really give the enclosure a cool look IMO, and again they really do a good job of helping him hide. 1 sec I'll upload a pic I took yesterday with the enclosure opened up

20231005_164521.jpg

Spike REALLY likes them. I know some people don't like using them because they aren't the best for adults to climb on. However, Spike climbed on them a couple times just fine. Usually he just uses them for cover as I intended lol. And I have them sitting in large pots at the bottom of the enclosure. So if I want to swap them out when he's older, I can easily do so. They'll slide right out. I'm glad I decided on those. They really give the enclosure a cool look IMO, and again they really do a good job of helping him hide. 1 sec I'll upload a pic I took yesterday with the enclosure opened up

View attachment 344543
I love your enclosure! I might just have to go back and get one.

I like how the enclosure is planted heavily in some areas but with open areas in others. I’m sure there are times where you have no idea where spike is. And that makes for a happy chameleon!
It's kind of odd tbh.... sometimes it takes me a little bit to find him but honestly he doesn't "hide" too much. Like at all. The only times he hides is when he's in his resting area after his day is over.

And even then he's really not hiding. He is really close to 1 side of the enclosure. And he seems check him out there all the time lol.

There have been a few times where it legit took me like 30 seconds + to locate him. but usually he's either up on top, or in an open area in general, exploring, or in his resting spot.

The psychology of it is really interesting. By giving them a place to retreat and hide, they feel safe out in the open.
That is exactly how I took it. Granted when he's resting, he surely loves his privacy. But man..... all throughout the day, even on weekends when we are home, he's almost always on TOP of the cage out in the open. Unless he's exploring. Sometimes he will kinda hang out in the middle of his enclosure here or there. But not for long. He really seems to prefer being on top out in the open for the most part. He doesn't even bother to use the plants I have on top as cover.

Your enclosure is beautiful. Great job! Definitely built with love.
Thank you so much! I have very little woodworking experience outside of building forts when I was a kid like 30 years ago lol There are some things I don't like but my next one will be much better now that I know what tools I need 🙃

Thank you so much! I have very little woodworking experience outside of building forts when I was a kid like 30 years ago lol There are some things I don't like but my next one will be much better now that I know what tools I need 🙃
That's cool. I'm actually a hobbist woodworker. I've thought about building a enclosure but my time is limited (i'm currently studying cybersecurity and controls automation). I would use pcv and metal. Maybe one day I'll have time.

That's cool. I'm actually a hobbist woodworker. I've thought about building a enclosure but my time is limited (i'm currently studying cybersecurity and controls automation). I would use pcv and metal. Maybe one day I'll have time.
Please share when you do!! I will be so interested in seeing what you come up with. I hear you... I am 39 years old working on a computer programming degree while working full time + OT, and taking care of my pets and son :)🫠

That's cool. I'm actually a hobbist woodworker. I've thought about building an enclosure but my time is limited (i'm currently studying cybersecurity and controls automation). I would use pcv and metal. Maybe one day I'll have time.
I considered building an enclosure with PVC sheets. There is a brand named Azek that’s 4’ x 8’ and 1/2” thick sheets but it’s $125.00 a sheet. A 4’ tall x 8’ wide and 24” deep enclosure would be amazing. In all I think it would be $500.00 materials

Back
Top Bottom