Spiders...Ahhhh!

MamaD

I live in OH near the lake and we get an abundance of spiders year round. All different kinds. Almost none of them are harmful to humans but I've been told that they can be to my chams. Im sure that the cricket and fruit fly population is irresistible to them. I would never try pesticides, wasn't born yesterday)LOL! I try to keep webs cleared, but seems like a never ending battle. Does anyone have any suggestions how to get rid of them? HELP!:eek:

have you tried a bug bomb. We have an awful issue with Hobo spiders and when our landlord used a bug bomb or a spider bomb they virtually disappeared. Problem is that you have to leave the house for a couple of hours and you would have to take your chams and pets with you.

Thanks for the suggestion! Thought about it, but I have 23 adults, 50 new babies, and about 2k eggs incubating. In the summer I use a mixture of lavender dish soap and water to keep spiders away from the patio, but wasn't sure if the chams would hate it as much as the spiders and stress them out.

2k eggs:eek: holy cow! What species/locale do you keep? As far as the spiders go w/o pesticide its near impossible to keep them away, Esp. Near the lakes. My company uses a product called sterifab, which is basically a high volume alchohol that will dry them up on contact. But it HAS to come in contact, there is no residual to it. But its safe once its dry, and it is alchohol so it is flamable too. But thats probably your best bet, or just deal w/ it. And do NOT use a bug bomb ever.. they are a waste and hazardous..

I've used Orange Peel Oil with great effect. It worked to keep the black widows, fleas, etc at bay and is supposedly completely harmless to vertebrates. Last summer we had a particularly bad infestation of just flies, fleas, and other insects which also attracted a huge spider population. We used lavender oil, cedar oil, and a few other naturals with no stunning results until we resorted to a pesticide bomb which also didn't work.

I finally bought a gallon of professional grade orange peel oil and saw a huge difference. I kept up on spraying everywhere there was an issue for about 2 weeks and the infestation was gone.

I also hear good things about Cedarcide but haven't actually tried that product.

I think when applying any strong essential oil even if it is non-toxic around animals the most important thing to do is simply move them out of the direct area until it airs out a bit, because there is no lingering toxin it is okay to bring them back sooner and they don't actually have to be gone from the house just not in the direct area.

I used the orange peel oil around frogs, fish, and cats with no negative effects at all. (I actually sprayed one of the cats with it on accident) Cats hate citrus in general but none of mine seemed to care about the oil.

2k eggs:eek: holy cow! What species/locale do you keep? As far as the spiders go w/o pesticide its near impossible to keep them away, Esp. Near the lakes. My company uses a product called sterifab, which is basically a high volume alchohol that will dry them up on contact. But it HAS to come in contact, there is no residual to it. But its safe once its dry, and it is alchohol so it is flamable too. But thats probably your best bet, or just deal w/ it. And do NOT use a bug bomb ever.. they are a waste and hazardous..
I currently have 4.8 ambilobies and 2.9.55 veileds. Lots of work, but I love every minute of it!:D

Where did you order your pro grade orange peel oil from? Sounds like a good plan! :)

The local Ace Hardware generally carries it in the Spring they also always have Orange Guard a pre-mixed pesticide grade orange oil.

There are quite a few suppliers online who sell both the concentrate and pre mixed pesticide grade. If you get the pure concentrate be sure to mix it with water! I prefer the stuff called Orange Guard (I'm in no way affiliated just like the product) it has a better binder and smells better than the cheap stuff I tried. It won't last as long as a gallon of pure oil because it is already diluted but it sprays nicer and just seems less messy but equally effective.

You can also make your own with orange peels. I make a lot of fresh OJ so I tried this as well. I wan't happy with the results from all the recipes I found online but if you happen to have a cold press you could make your own that would actually be decent.

Here is the Orange Guard web-site they have a "Where to buy" page.
http://www.orangeguard.com/

Feed them off??? Ive fed multiple species of spiders without any known problems. I wont feed the Brown Recluse or Black Widow but anything else is fair game as long as its the appropriate size.

ive let em take out wolf spiders 1k leggers and bees.

honestly what scares me the most is letting them take in any flying wc insects. with all the nature hating pricks that poison everything on their property.

CainsChams: Hobo Spiders are fairly poisonous as well. I haven't done very much research into them but my guess is they would make a terrible feeder!

DekuScrub: For the life of me I haven't figured out why a highly toxic chemical that leeches into the the ground and can be found in your garden vegetables is better for you than a few aphids and snails.

I personally use cedar and orange oils when there are flea issues or the house gets invaded. There is really no need for toxic chemicals...

Thanks everyone! I guess now I don't have to worry too much now. I think I'll do a little of both...cedar and orange oils and try to keep as many away as possible not worrying too much if they happen to ingest one here and there. :)

I was just doing some research on the net and while I have used Orange Peel Oil with no harmful side effects around frogs and Cats it is apparently very toxic to cats.

I can find no information on how it effects reptiles or amphibians but am still looking...

In the meantime it can't be dangerous if the treated areas aren't directly around your pets...

Back
Top Bottom