Spider Webs?

CHAMaDdIcT

Hey guys! i haven't been on here in FOREVER because of school and such :( but I need your help on a possible problem i just came across

I bought a new Ficus Tree for Xanthus yesterday, because his old one is slowly dying (like all the others), and I was going to put it in today, but as i was inspecting it...i saw spiderweb-like structures, just thicker and less "webby" in between the branches of the plant :confused: i started cleaning them out and theres only a little bit left but i just wanted to know, could this be harmful?

thanks for any feedback!

Hey guys! i haven't been on here in FOREVER because of school and such :( but I need your help on a possible problem i just came across

I bought a new Ficus Tree for Xanthus yesterday, because his old one is slowly dying (like all the others), and I was going to put it in today, but as i was inspecting it...i saw spiderweb-like structures, just thicker and less "webby" in between the branches of the plant :confused: i started cleaning them out and theres only a little bit left but i just wanted to know, could this be harmful?

thanks for any feedback!
I've seen this sort of thing in plants before, and I'm never sure if its a spider web or not.........:) I reckon not. Just natural plant matter. It doesn't seem to do any harm if you leave it in or take it out (doesn't harm the plant either). I'm no botanist, so don't take my word for all this, but I've done it before.........it's all good

Spider Mites
Spider mites are tiny, eight-legged pests that reproduce quickly and feed on a ficus, causing heavy leaf loss. A severe infestation will kill the plant. Spider mites produce webbing, which coats leaves and branches. Regularly watered ficus plants are less prone to infestation, and the presence of predatory ladybug larvae may also reduce risks.

Read more: Ficus Tree Pests | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_6367886_ficus-tree-pests.html#ixzz1S8KCT4iq

Spider Mites
Spider mites are tiny, eight-legged pests that reproduce quickly and feed on a ficus, causing heavy leaf loss. A severe infestation will kill the plant. Spider mites produce webbing, which coats leaves and branches. Regularly watered ficus plants are less prone to infestation, and the presence of predatory ladybug larvae may also reduce risks.

Read more: Ficus Tree Pests | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_6367886_ficus-tree-pests.html#ixzz1S8KCT4iq

I stand corrected said the man in the orthopedic shoes..................it is spiders, after all

You have spider-mites! I know of some chemical treatments for it but I don't think they would be good for Xanthus. Spider-mites can hurt your plant though so it is best to get rid of them. I would try putting your plant outside overnight, because spider-mites don't like cold.

Edit: Introducing ladybugs to your ficus will help a lot too!

You have spider-mites! I know of some chemical treatments for it but I don't think they would be good for Xanthus. Spider-mites can hurt your plant though so it is best to get rid of them. I would try putting your plant outside overnight, because spider-mites don't like cold.

Edit: Introducing ladybugs to your ficus will help a lot too!

well I'm going away for the four nights so hopefully they'll leave by then! And if not, then i guess ill have to buy a new one :(

(ladybugs would work, but my mom would never let me have them in the house!)

If any of the leaves are noticeably damaged by the spider mites you should just pull them off (they will have eggs on them)

Back
Top Bottom