Spider Bite(?)

DeremensisBlue

Chameleon Enthusiast
Site Sponsor
I wanted to share a heart wrenching experience. I came out to find my Jeweled Chameleon (Furcifer campani) black splotched. Black and/or sickly yellow are signs of internal trauma or distress.
IMG_8307.jpeg

This is what Emily usually looks like. Nice and vibrant!

Oct 1 G.jpeg

And this is what greeted me last week.

She was acting loopy and so my immediate concern was poisoning. I didn't notice any physical trauma, but I also didn't see any spider web. So I got her out and did a complete search. And, hidden deep in one of her bushes inside a web "sleeping bag" was this massive black widow.

IMG_8769.jpeg

I did a complete check and clean of the cage to make sure everything was safe.

A week later she is on her way to a full recovery. And for this I feel very lucky. I am actually surprised she is doing so well.

IMG_8887.jpeg

This is Emily a week after the incident. She is looking good! Still has some ways to go to get full use of her back right leg.

So, take away? We need to be vigilant. Especially those of us working with baby chameleons, small species chameleons, and bioactive environments. Spiders can find their way into any cage as babies and we provide them with ample food. Check corners of your cages for small webs. That is how they will start. I suggest looking at night because that is when the spiders would be out. Spiders are everywhere so this is just something to keep on top of. Though, this was a new one for me. I have not had the experience of a Black Widow creating a complete web lair deep inside a bush. So, I now know a little more than I did before.

I wanted to share a heart wrenching experience. I came out to find my Jeweled Chameleon (Furcifer campani) black splotched. Black and/or sickly yellow are signs of internal trauma or distress.
View attachment 330217

View attachment 330219

She was acting loopy and so my immediate concern was poisoning. I didn't notice any physical trauma, but I also didn't see any spider web. So I got her out and did a complete search. And, hidden deep in one of her bushes inside a web "sleeping bag" was this massive black widow.

View attachment 330220

A week later she is on her way to a full recovery. And for this I feel very lucky. I am actually surprised she is doing so well.

View attachment 330221
This is Emily a week after the incident. She is looking good! Still has some ways to go to get full use of her back right leg.

So, take away? We need to be vigilant. Especially those of us working with baby chameleons, small species chameleons, and bioactive environments. Spiders can find their way into any cage as babies and we provide them with ample food. Check corners of your cages for small webs. That is how they will start. I suggest looking at night because that is when the spiders would be out. Spiders are everywhere so this is just something to keep on top of. Though, this was a new one for me. I have not had the experience of a Black Widow creating a complete web lair deep inside a bush. So, I now know a little more than I did before.

View attachment 330217

View attachment 330219

View attachment 330220

View attachment 330221

That is one tough chameleon! Wow!

Big thanks for sharing this @DeremensisBlue already found a few times webs in my large parsons enclosure and I’m definitely gonna remove those webs! Amazing she survived such thing, shows us again how unique they’re. Just image the dose of poison that went in such small body compared to a human being (we know effects that) So happy is doing Emily is doing great again.

Thanks so much for sharing Bill. I am so sorry this happened to Emily but so pleased she seems to be recovering!

As you know, I have had spider bites in chameleons before as well. I might add that spiders can occur in any setup, and are not limited to bioactive. I'd argue they might be a bit harder to find in bioactive setups but something for any keeper to watch out for. Especially for smaller species. I don't know if I feel that they are a risk unique to bioactive though (although I don't think you were stating this).

Indoors, it's going to be excessively rare for a black widow to be the culprit. However, there are other comb footed spiders in particular (Steatoda species, similar in body structure to a black widow) such as false widows or cupboard spiders that are worth it for people to look out for. They have some degree of venom and they can be very harmful because they produce a lot of offspring very quickly, so they can infest an enclosure overtime. It's a regular battle with the vacuum cleaner to keep them under control.

I love spiders, and they play a critical role in the ecosystem, so I do hope that folks don't demonize spiders when things like this happen. They're just doing their thing, and we need to be accordingly vigilant. Not implying this has happened at the moment, just want to put it out there.

I don't know if I feel that they are a risk unique to bioactive though (although I don't think you were stating this).
My mentioning of bioactive was only because with a bioactive set-up we have so many of the smaller prey items that would help baby spiders grow up, whereas my Parson's cage doesn't have much for spiders small enough to fit through the screen. They always find a way, but I was just thinking about food availability for spiders. Of course you are correct that spiders are a concern with any set-up.

My mentioning of bioactive was only because with a bioactive set-up we have so many of the smaller prey items that would help baby spiders grow up, whereas my Parson's cage doesn't have much for spiders small enough to fit through the screen. They always find a way, but I was just thinking about food availability for spiders. Of course you are correct that spiders are a concern with any set-up.
Definitely :) just wanted to mention it

Only one way to deal with those!! =
🔥
and
🔥
and then when you're done, more
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
🔥
!!!!!!!

On a more serious note, that is wicked crazy that the chameleon survived. A black widow bite can really mess a human being up. And we are like 50x the size of a chameleon. So cool the chameleon is doing better. That is definitely one monster spider. :eek:🤢🤮

Wow, hopefully a once in a lifetime situation for you both! This seems like a great reason to use gloves when doing clean outs, I am glad you weren't bit!

Can't see what's in your last post.
It is a video embedded from Instagram...it is coming up for me on laptop and mobile...is anyone else having trouble seeing the video on message #14? First time I have tried the Instagram embed feature so I might have to learn to do something different in posting!

On a more serious note, that is wicked crazy that the chameleon survived. A black widow bite can really mess a human being up. And we are like 50x the size of a chameleon. So cool the chameleon is doing better. That is definitely one monster spider.
She had some web on her, but was not stuck in a web. So I can easily see the scenario where the spider got a quick bite on a leg moving away instead of the solid bite that it would get when sitting on our hand or feeling trapped when we grab onto something it is sitting on. I am 100% speculating, of course. There is also the possibility that Black Widow venom doesn't affect them in the same way as humans. Also complete speculation. But I agree with your surprise. I really didn't hold much hope once I found the spider.

It is a video embedded from Instagram...it is coming up for me on laptop and mobile...is anyone else having trouble seeing the video on message #14? First time I have tried the Instagram embed feature so I might have to learn to do something different in posting!

It's likely because my tablet is so old.

I did read up on black widows and it's said that they don't always give a full bite...so maybe she didn't get a full bite. Whatever it was it was definitely bad enough though.

Back
Top Bottom