Sore foot/bumblefoot prevention for parsonii

Twitchet

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi there, I have just got a pr of parsonii, The female is adult size, she very obligingly let me check her feet today- I see that there is slight pinkness-Is this normal? I see two feet are slightly whiter, - they are in no way open or sore or not painful,
but my question is what can I do to prevent problems occuring as I hear heavy chams suffer from foot problems, She is fine but I think the most I can do before I get problems obviously the better.
She has branches of varying size from finger to banana width, I'm thinking should I ere on thicker branches everywhere for wider load bearing surface? Branches are smooth- not slippery but not rough . It's better to have varying widths isnt it?
I try to keep her branches dry but with misting they do get wet but cant really see how I can change that as she needs branch to access mister and rain drops.
Keeping her weight in check.
Clean branches
she is fairly sedentary but cant see how I can move her around. She is about to have an outdoor space and she will move to that everyday so that will get her moving a bit more.
Is there anything else one can do- Wrapping branches for soft areas? or that harbours damp and disease?
As I say this is for prevention not curing a problem- I want to try and be ahead of foot issues as much as anyone can! - as I have read it's really difficult to cure. Any tips for keeping her feet healthy would be well received. She is shedding at the moment- she has not shed all over like my panther- I keep trying to mist the last bits-one of which is a sole of a foot but dont want to make it wet and cause trouble.
Many thanks

Dont worry everyone- I'm not pulling the skin off- I never do and am holding out the way- This does look a little redder than in real life I think , this is one of the thinner branches and will replace tomorrow .

This is slightly pink so o.k? Healthy-normal or a little pink? Think this is more representative of what they look like,

The first picture looks like she has the starting of a slight split. That's what Ryker's feet looked like in the beginning. I realized when I switched to dowels and thicker and thinner branches that the splits healed nicely. Also the clean branches helped. I never wrapped mine in anything. I don't suggest using exo terra vines.

I would start using some Silver Sulfadiazine on that right now. A variety of different size branches is alway good but be sure to have some extra large one. Branches that their hands can not even reach around. Parsonii are prone for foot problems and once they get them they are extremely slow healers.

Listen to Jann. She dealt with this with Cooper. And if I remember correctly he took a couple months to heal and it was a lot of work.

Edit: Just got corrected, he never did heal? Parson's really do take forever to do everything .____.

Another Edit: I hope I didn't upset you Jann... I didn't mean to offend.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone- Ooh- Panic! :eek:Trying not to panic! I'll rearrange her house tomorrow- Only had her two weeks so looks like it needs attention- glad I checked her. I will change to bigger branches and hope that stalls/stops any further problems. I think she had access to some exoterra bendy vines. I will see if I can get the cream too and get that on her straight away- very cheering to hear it made Padre's feet better so there's hope of nipping this in the bud. Glad I asked and I'm really thankful for your advice. Really appreciate it:)

Yeah I've noticed with the exo terra vines they hold onto water far too much, and they grow bacteria very quickly, eventually they are impossible to get clean.

Hi there, just trying to find the cream- I'm in u.k, the only thing I can find at the mo is a mud fever cream for horses- it says it has 1% silver sulf. it's antimicrobial, antiseptic etc, does contain other soothing waxes and oils - this is cut from their info--Is that the right stuff- I cant find anything else but will keep looking- I think i need a prescription to get it if it's made for humans. Mnay thanks
An effective antiseptic cream which supports skin exposed to excessive mud and rain
Biteback Mudbar Plus
is the other part of the Biteback armoury against excessive wetting of horses' skin
This antiseptic cream will help the skin's natural barrier function while aiding re-growth of skin and hair.
Containing ACTIVE SILVER (as silver sulfadiazine) and sublimed flowers of sulphur which allow the skin to recover its natural barrier to infection and the hair to re-grow
  • Handmade with carefully chosen ingredients
  • Including allantoin to support regrowth of damaged skin and hair
  • Simple to apply and gentle in action
  • Can use for longer than many other antiseptic creams with no ill effects

Usually Silver Sulfadiazine can be found in pharmacies I think... but I got mine from my vet. It wasn't expensive. I don't know if your vet would prescribe it without an appointment though >.<

Hi again, ah that's why I can't find it easliy- I can probably get it from my vet- he's very sensible and I'm sure he'd let me have some- I have found this from the same company, Would you know whether your cream is 1%? prescription and non prescription all seem to be 1%.
Biteback SWEET RELIEF SILVER is a remarkably useful addition to your horse or pet's first aid box. A superb antiseptic non-steroid cream for supporting healthy skin Biteback Sweet Relief Silver is a multi-purpose application, formulated in a light cream. Sweet Relief Silver's active ingredients work together leading to smooth, calm, healthy skin silver sulfadiazine and sublimed flowers of sulphur as gentle but effective germicides; benzyl benzoate to soothe and moisten; liquid paraffin and waxes to moisten and form a waterproof barrier; glycerin to soften scabs; allantoin to support new growth; benzyl alcohol and iodine as gentle and safe preservatives.
I'll see him next week and take this post print out to explain. He's a doggy person and not keen on lizards etc so I doubt whether he'd want her to visit him lol!
Many many thanks.

Mine is 1% as well. Has less additives but none of those sound bad, I would wait for someone else to chime in though

Thanks- Will do, I'm so pleased I checked her and it's because of the wonderful info on this forum that made me aware of foot problems and to know there are such wonderful knowledgeable people here to help is such an amazing thing.:love:

Yeah I've noticed with the exo terra vines they hold onto water far too much, and they grow bacteria very quickly, eventually they are impossible to get clean.

So, you don't think exo terra vines are good to use at all? I never thought about them absorbing and holding onto water. Good to know!

Even though I did a monthly deep clean and used a bleach/water solution on the exo terra vines they still ended up with bacteria-like mold growth on them within a year. Especially when I started increasing the misting sessions to 4 minutes.

Even though I did a monthly deep clean and used a bleach/water solution on the exo terra vines they still ended up with bacteria-like mold growth on them within a year. Especially when I started increasing the misting sessions to 4 minutes.

Wow, thanks for sharing that. Definitely good to know!

You know, that really makes me wonder if that was the reason my panther that recently passed got the eye infection that we fought for months? I don't have that type anymore, I never did like the weird crumbly coating on them but I had them in his cage. I would boil them every so often but if they were holding the moisture then they could have been growing mold I didn't see. Hmmm.

Sorry to have hijacked the thread but I'm very glad I read that.

Peachy pink, I'm glad you like her pretty little feet, she's a pretty girl- chunky but pretty. I love my panthers feet, so endearing when he holds your finger,
I've never liked those bendable vines because of the strong chemical tarry smell, I bought one, took it out of the packet and it left tar colour on my hands, I tried to wash it, the nasty sharp flaky bits came off and so did more black stuff. I try not to use unnatural products like that anyway but never again for the vines. I was even given an old used one and it still smelt. I didn't use it.
Thanks all again. Will do an update in a month of silver treatment with results.

Back
Top Bottom