Sooo i got a gecko

Here ya go i just tried to offer some honey n he bit me ?

Attachments

• Snapchat-1455243354.jpg
    Snapchat-1455243354.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 90
Ohh I have one of them... They’re cool to see them hunt, super swift, and believe it or not their bite took a lil chunk off my finger...
Expect him to escape a couple timas.

Attachments

• F5C2D4B7-FC78-4AE7-9131-0F018FC86526.jpeg
    F5C2D4B7-FC78-4AE7-9131-0F018FC86526.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 77
  • E31C8BF4-3830-422A-A345-30F69C2E0433.jpeg
    E31C8BF4-3830-422A-A345-30F69C2E0433.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 86
Ohh I have one of them... They’re cool to see them hunt, super swift, and believe it or not their bite took a lil chunk off my finger...
Expect him to escape a couple timas.
Urs i like mine we made all that forest terrain for em and they'll still only chill on thetop of the cage ? but god dam you're making me want to wear gloves ?

Sorry twas at work well still am but hes a gaint day gecko
Careful he doesn't try to sell you insurance.
1593697753141.png

I looked at geckos (among dozens of also-rans) as a precursor to getting a chameleon, but went with a beardie. It came down to diurnal vs. crepuscular/nocturnal, caudal autotomy (the skin sloughing thing... yech! ?), and potential barking (I could live with that—the Missus not so much... :rolleyes:) Yeah, I know—I mixed some traits there—just means I looked at a lot of different geckos! ;)

I still think they look cool (especially the eyes on those cresteds, and their ability to lick them) and some of the more exotic species (leaf-tails, gargoyles, etc.) :cool:

Careful he doesn't try to sell you insurance.
View attachment 271087
I looked at geckos (among dozens of also-rans) as a precursor to getting a chameleon, but went with a beardie. It came down to diurnal vs. crepuscular/nocturnal, caudal autotomy (the skin sloughing thing... yech! ?), and potential barking (I could live with that—the Missus not so much... :rolleyes:) Yeah, I know—I mixed some traits there—just means I looked at a lot of different geckos! ;)

I still think they look cool (especially the eyes on those cresteds, and their ability to lick them) and some of the more exotic species (leaf-tails, gargoyles, etc.) :cool:
?? nope not trying to sell me insurance he just prefers to eat my flesh he just keeps hiding behind the heatlamp i cant tell if hes drinking ir not because he literally just stays there all day quite annoying

Trust takes time. My beardie gaped, hissed, snapped, & bit until he was 6 months old. We used to call him, "He Who Shall Not Be Tamed!" I still get the occasional gape & hiss, but it's not convincing anymore since I figured out how to disarm him... :LOL: Now I just get the stinkeye followed by a look of resignation. (Smarter than lizards... ;))

Of course all species & individuals are different.

Yours is a looker. :) Think of it as "personality" or "attitude". ;)

Trust takes time. My beardie gaped, hissed, snapped, & bit until he was 6 months old. We used to call him, "He Who Shall Not Be Tamed!" I still get the occasional gape & hiss, but it's not convincing anymore since I figured out how to disarm him... :LOL: Now I just get the stinkeye followed by a look of resignation. (Smarter than lizards... ;))

Of course all species & individuals are different.

Yours is a looker. :) Think of it as "personality" or "attitude". ;)
6 months sweet jesus im just trying to put my hand next to him to get him used to it i think hes probably scared from being in the pet shop and children constantly banging on the window but yea they've all got there own personalitys cant say im getting stink eye but hes sending them signals ? just want him to be my friend ??

You could try the old trick of putting an article of clothing with your scent into the enclosure. Can't guarantee it'll work with a gecko, but I can't see it doing any harm.

They're a pretty shy species, and generally not keen on handling from what I've read. Since you just brought him home, he's still settling in and will take some time to become comfortable. I'd recommend leaving him alone, and in about 2 weeks time you can attempt hand feeding high reward food items, ideally from below using some sort of utensil (i.e. tongs for insects, tongue depressor or similar for paste/etc). I'm doubtful that the T-shirt trick would do much; I can't find any documentation of it's use in Madagascar giant day geckos or similar species.

I don't keep these guys, but my crestie is extremely shy and is only now coming around 3 months later. He's comfortable enough to hang out in plain view and accept insects from my fingers, and doesn't kick up a fuss if I remove him from his enclosure to inspect and weigh him once a week.

Last edited:
Ive tried to handle mine and he just bites or dashes away...
They're a to look pet, almost like a chameleon.
If you want something you can handle I recommend a Leo or a Crestie...
Cresties are fun if you create an appropiate environment for them, and they're funny too.

Attachments

• EBC9AC3E-5519-4B7E-8341-4708AEC10D44.jpeg
    EBC9AC3E-5519-4B7E-8341-4708AEC10D44.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 878E7398-10CE-4690-81E1-8AC0D1186FAF.jpeg
    878E7398-10CE-4690-81E1-8AC0D1186FAF.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 149D77E0-E378-4699-BEE1-905455B8D864.jpeg
    149D77E0-E378-4699-BEE1-905455B8D864.jpeg
    71.4 KB · Views: 73
  • E6505339-CD46-4EAC-9884-C1BAAA166DBA.jpeg
    E6505339-CD46-4EAC-9884-C1BAAA166DBA.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 63
They're a pretty shy species, and generally not keen on handling from what I've read. Since you just brought him home, he's still settling in and will take some time to become comfortable. I'd recommend leaving him alone, and in about 2 weeks time you can attempt hand feeding high reward food items, ideally from below using some sort of utensil (i.e. tongs for insects, tongue depressor or similar for paste/etc). I'm doubtful that the T-shirt trick would do much; I can't find any documentation of it's use in Madagascar giant day geckos or similar species.

I don't keep these guys, but my crestie is extremely shy and is only now coming around 3 months later. He's comfortable enough to hang out in plain view and accept insects from my fingers, and doesn't kick up a fuss if I remove him from his enclosure to inspect and weight him once a week.
Hes not overly shy like hes always coming close to the glass observing me but as soon as i put my hand close either outside the glass or in very slowly he'll still dart off at 100mph but he seems to be exploring the enclosure abit more instead of just staying at the very top like he normally does, like hes curious but very scared of the hand that feeds him but okay ill take ya advice on and see if he calms down in a week or two ima just keep putting me hand close to him so he can get used to it im never pickin him up just trying to make him familiar with it

Back
Top Bottom