something wrong

niki

I have a male fischers cham. His humidity stays around 70%-80%. He is a really light color and doesn't move much lately. He has been keeping his eyes closed often too. I spray him about 7x a day. He has a humidifier in his flexarium (only on once a day or so). I just got hornworms, waxwroms, and butterworms, he hasn't ate anything as of yet. He is drinking everytime I mist him. I have turned his heat lamp off as it is about 30 degrees in and out right now. Any suggestions on what is wrong with Mr.bobbers? He doesn't seem to have anything in his eyes because he can open them

It could be a lot of possibilities.

Have you had him long? Was he WC ? If yes, did you have a stool sample checked by a vet or did you run a course of Panacur(could be parasites)?

Is it possible that he has been oversupplemented?Any edema?

Are you gutloading crix with potato or carrot( vit A overdose???)?

Are his urates white , yellow or brown( could be kidney failure)???

If ambient temp is 30C, it may be too high

It could be a lot of possibilities.

Have you had him long? Was he WC ? If yes, did you have a stool sample checked by a vet or did you run a course of Panacur(could be parasites)?

Is it possible that he has been oversupplemented?Any edema?

Are you gutloading crix with potato or carrot( vit A overdose???)?

Are his urates white , yellow or brown( could be kidney failure)???

If ambient temp is 30C, it may be too high

hi there! I have had him since october. Not wild caught. Not oversupplemented (he is finicky about what he eats so not much going in). No swelling. I am gutloading crix with potatoews and carrots not often though. He doesn't eat many crix anyways (usually the worms) His urates are part white and part brownish black. I don't have his heat light on because in Nova scotia it is way to hot anyhow. I have a fan in the room though to try to keep the temp dpwn. I spray him as much as I can. I called the vet last night and she told me to try to syringe feed him with mushed up worms and calcium. She told me not to bring him in unless I think he is in early stages of mbd. She doesn't know anything about fischers chams. She said that she has treated veilds and that they are all the same really:confused:Anyways I am home from work today to keep an eye on him.

cham_man...Carrots and other veggies contain PROformed vitamin A (beta carotene)....not PREformed. Supplements may contain PREformed or PROformed vitamin A.

Vitamin A found in foods that come from animals is called PREformed vitamin A. PREformed vitamin A is fat-soluable and stored by the body.

Vitamin A that is found in colorful fruits and vegetables is called PROvitamin A carotenoid. Unlike PREformed vitamin A, beta carotene is converted into vitamin A as your body needs it. (PROformed) carotene is water-soluable and is not stored by the body. Any excess unabsorbed carotene is excreted in the feces.This makes carotene safe and there shouldn't be any concern about it building up in the body.

Read this to understand more..especially the part about overdose...when the liver is full....
http://web.archive.org/web/20060502...rnals.com/vet/index.php?show=5.Vitamin.A.html
-----------
niki...did turning the heat light off make any difference in his color or keeping his eyes open? Has he been sitting in the basking area or elsewhere in the cage?

When he walks, does he hold his body up off the branches? Does his tongue work properly?

Does he have a UVB light or get exposure to direct sunlight? (Neither should pass through glass or plastic.)

Your gutload could be better...you can give the crickets greens (dandelion, kale, collards, endive, escarole, etc.) and veggies (sweet potato, sweet red pepper, squash, zucchini, etc.)

I'm surprised that he isn't WC! Was he an adult when you got him?

If its not something simple, like it being too hot for him in the cage that is causing his behavior then IMHO he needs to see a good reptile vet.

Good luck with him!

Well I took Mr.Bobbers to the vet tonight. The vet said that it is a type of rare tumour that starts out as an infection. Quickly advanced. We gave him 2 injections and an antibiotic cream. He is getting a fecal done tomorrow (not that it matters). I am extremely upset about this as I think it is my fault somehow. She said the antibiotics might work but if anything happens it will not be my fault and that I tried. I will prob give him a few days and if nothing happens I will be ending his misery humanly. I feel like a bag of shit.:mad:. He hated his injections which adds to my grief right now. I have wanted a veiled for so long and this is going to change everything. I just went out and bought a 100 gallon flexarium, repti cal with d3 (I have without also), and a repti sun 5.0. It sux because I just spent $70 on buggies that Bobbers adores and to see him not eating them breaks my heart. Anyways I will get u all in the loop of what is going on

Glad you took him to the vets!

You said..."he vet said that it is a type of rare tumour that starts out as an infection"...I've never heard of such a thing. Was there a mark or bump on him somewhere? Where is it located?

You said..."I am extremely upset about this as I think it is my fault somehow"...I don't blame you for being upset...but I doubt that it was your fault.

You said..."She said the antibiotics might work"...I hope so.

You said..."ill be ending his misery humanly"...let's hope that it doesn't come to this...but if it does, how do you intend to do this?

You said..."He hated his injections which adds to my grief right now. I have wanted a veiled for so long and this is going to change everything. I just went out and bought a 100 gallon flexarium, repti cal with d3 (I have without also), and a repti sun 5.0. It sux because I just spent $70 on buggies that Bobbers adores and to see him not eating them breaks my heart. Anyways I will get u all in the loop of what is going on"...we all have problems with our chameleons from time to time. There is a learning curve with them. Strange, but most of us are "addicted" and go on keeping chameleons even when things happen. You might too. I'd rather see someone who cares get another one!

Fingers crossed for Mr. Bobbers!

If it does come to me putting him down I will take him to the vets of course. Poor bABY. I checked on him this morning and his eye is looking a little bit smaller. I might have to syringe feed him because he can't get a good enough shot on his food. I am not quite sure what kind of thing is behind his eye, I can't quite remember. It was extremely nice of the Dr. to come in at 9:30 at night and examine him and administer a treatment................for free (not that it matters but I was extremely grateful). Anyways I have to leave him with my fiancee until lunch because I have to go to work (I hate to leave him) Talk to u later.

i got home today and he smells like fish..........what could cause this? His eye looks a little better but not much, I am not expecting it to work in one day. Any ideas? I already left a message with the vet.

Severe infection has a horrible smell. Have you ever had a root canal on an infected tooth? Or been around anything like that? It has a dead fish odor to it. That may be what you are smelling, but is just my guess.

Is the smell coming from his enclosure? If so, be sure that you do not have any standing water in the bottom or in the bottom of your plants. These can build bacteria and add decaying feeders and feces to that and you have a very nasty smell.

Hi there! Nope no standing water. It is coming from his eye area. It really happened so quick. One minute he was fine and the next his eye was all bulgy. I have been syringe feeding him and watering him with added vitamins and calcium, Hopefully we will pull through this and be okay.

You can try holding a cricket in front of him so he can see it. He may open his mouth or indicate that he is hungry. It would save you using a syringe and risking that you get some in his lungs.

How is he doing today?

Well he seems to be doing a little better........but still bad. I took him out and he opened his mouth and I fed him 3 waxworms. He won't take crix from my hand for some reason. He is getting his nice green colors back. Although he smells really bad but I am sure that that is just the antibiotics getting to the infection. I might squish some crix up later. I hsven't been syringe feeding him bugs today, just a little water (about 2cc). Not sure on how much they usually drink a day so I am just giving it to him till he stops opening his mouth. Breaking my heart to see him opening his little mouth for food.

well thats nice to hear. Actually extremely nice to hear. If I can smell the infection now (I know it's gross) is that a good thing or bad? I think it might be a good thing because the antibiotics are breaking it down. Any ideas? I should know this as I went to school as a vet assistant but not really for reptiles. Just kinda took this up on my own time.

Well he is laying on the floor right now:(this is not good at all. I don't think I am going to work. This is crappy. Nayways I guess I will see what happens.

I put a towel on the bottom of the enclosure with hot water bottles in the folds just so he won't get chilled. I got 2 butterworms in him this morning. He opens his mouth still for food and water, but thats about it. Poor baby. I feel like crap. I am staying home today to watch him. Good or bad at least I am home. I need the money for bills ha ha but o well.

Laying on the floor of the cage is not a good sign. I would get him to a vet right away. I don't know how much hope there is for him...I hate to say this, but I think he is on his way out the way things are sounding. I'm sorry to have to say that. :(

Regarding his smelling....I have never been able to smell the infection on a chameleon except when the vet was cleaning out a wound. After it was cleaned out there was no smell...but the exudate smelled.

I still don't understand when you say its a tumor that starts out like an infection...and I don't understand why if it is a tumor they didn't remove it.

I dunno that is what she said...........I think it is an infection...........her explanantion doesn't make sense, I know. I am gonna take him in tomorrow. I fed him 2 butterwoms this morning and he just threw them up. I have decided to get a veiled if anything happens but I feel like if I do than I am getting one to soon. I really love them though but I am not going to let him suffer. It is awful because his eye is going down in swelling.

You said in a previous post that Mr. Bobbers was given two injections...do you know what they were?

You said, he was given cream for his eye....I wonder if an oral antibiotic (or injectable) one might help? The infection might be throughout his system.

I hope tomorrow won't be too late to take him to the vet's. Good luck!

You said in a previous post that Mr. Bobbers was given two injections...do you know what they were?

You said, he was given cream for his eye....I wonder if an oral antibiotic (or injectable) one might help? The infection might be throughout his system.

I hope tomorrow won't be too late to take him to the vet's. Good luck!

I actually Can't remember what they were. I know one was an antibiotic and one was a vitamin cuz he wasn't eating. The cream is a injectable and an oral cream mixed together (a exotic vet recommended this). I have a feeling tomorrow is not going to end up well. He is laying on the bottom again. I think the infection has went throughout his whole body. I am keeping hot water bottles wrapped up beside him for now.

Back
Top Bottom