Some questions about behavior/coloration

Geckoflora

I took my panther cham Ramses out for some sun yesterday; he has no problem with short periods of handling, so I stood out in a sunny spot with him for about 20 mins while he basked before taking him in. Since I went back inside with him, he's been super active and I'm not totally sure why? It's carried over to today and he's been climbing around his cage and on the screen sides all morning.

He also just fell. His cage is four feet tall and he fell from a spot near the top while climbing the screen (I think- I wasn't looking when it happened). I was in the room when it happened and picked him up but aside from looking startled, he seemed fine and went right back to crawling around.

But these yellow stripes appeared on his right side after he fell and I'm wondering if that's normal? They've already faded again since typing this up so they aren't long-lasting

71d29d67_12ae_4c80_bd5c_9a874abb4e8f_by_tokkay_dd4w2y8-pre.jpg

(sorry for poor quality, but the stripes should be easy to see)

I'm also worried he's going to fall again because he went straight back to climbing the screen walls when I put him in his cage. Did sunning him outside for 20 minutes set him off for some reason? That's the only thing I did differently with him recently. He does get active and climb around his cage plenty but usually not constantly like he's been doing the last 24 hours.

Just curious if anyone has any insight! Feels like I gave sugar to a toddler and now he won't calm down

My guy does this... he literally bounces off the walls when he wants out. It makes me a nervous wreck about falls. Most of the time he just wants to come back out and explore, he knows it will get my attention. Mine is around 6 months old and I've been told that is pretty normal behavior for his age.

I had a buddy used to let his cham cruise around curtains in his living room, lil guy took like a 7' fall, was stunned a lil bit, but just climbed back up. Tough lil guys

Those yellow line are the temporary mark when they fell n bump into an object..it shall soon all disappear if not..probably after the next shedding.
Like I always recommend..the Sunray is always better than the man made uvb...he probably got all heat up and excited from outside and trying to cool down when he brought back in that cage and accidentally lost his balance and fell..other than that he is absolutely a handsome fellow cham.

is there an age limit as to when they can go outside?

sort of unrelated to the OP , sorry
If the cham is in the young age like 3 or 4month...In my case..I will always bring a water spray bottle n spray while they are outside especially during the summer time..they can easily get dry up quickly from those hot sun..try find some shades like the tree n mist them in between....even the large one will get damaged by the hot summer scorching sun...best time will be in the morning n late afternoon depending on your daily schedule.

If the cham is in the young age like 3 or 4month...In my case..I will always bring a water spray bottle n spray while they are outside especially during the summer time..they can easily get dry up quickly from those hot sun..try find some shades like the tree n mist them in between....even the large one will get damaged by the hot summer scorching sun...best time will be in the morning n late afternoon depending on your daily schedule.

not sure how young my girl is. comparing her to photos of other chams, i would say probably 4-6 months. would love to take her outside this weekend

My guy does this... he literally bounces off the walls when he wants out. It makes me a nervous wreck about falls. Most of the time he just wants to come back out and explore, he knows it will get my attention. Mine is around 6 months old and I've been told that is pretty normal behavior for his age.

Yep, Ramses gets pretty active as well and will usually come right out on my arm if I let him. This is the first time I've seen him fall though (but it might have happened before when I haven't been around, who knows) which is why I was a little concerned. Plus I'm not used to seeing him so active nonstop like he's been; usually he spends longer periods of time basking or hanging out on a branch instead of climbing all over. He's just about 4 years old but apparently is pretty solar-powered since he hasn't stopped moving since I had him out in the sun (except to sleep at night, that is).

Those yellow line are the temporary mark when they fell n bump into an object..it shall soon all disappear if not..probably after the next shedding.
Like I always recommend..the Sunray is always better than the man made uvb...he probably got all heat up and excited from outside and trying to cool down when he brought back in that cage and accidentally lost his balance and fell..other than that he is absolutely a handsome fellow cham.

Good to know with the coloration! The yellow did fade but there are still some faint purple-ish marks there. And I figured that the sun time probably got him more active, but since it was yesterday I didn't think he should still have been so active today?

He ended up falling AGAIN about 10 minutes after I made the original post (I think he has trouble holding onto the screen- and when I went to pick him up from the floor again, he had his tail wrapped around a hind leg, so I think he tripped himself up). No more yellow marks from it though and still moving fine. I tossed some crickets in before I had to leave for class and by the time I got back he was less a little less active. I'll see if he continues with tomorrow!

Yep, Ramses gets pretty active as well and will usually come right out on my arm if I let him. This is the first time I've seen him fall though (but it might have happened before when I haven't been around, who knows) which is why I was a little concerned. Plus I'm not used to seeing him so active nonstop like he's been; usually he spends longer periods of time basking or hanging out on a branch instead of climbing all over. He's just about 4 years old but apparently is pretty solar-powered since he hasn't stopped moving since I had him out in the sun (except to sleep at night, that is).

Good to know with the coloration! The yellow did fade but there are still some faint purple-ish marks there. And I figured that the sun time probably got him more active, but since it was yesterday I didn't think he should still have been so active today?

He ended up falling AGAIN about 10 minutes after I made the original post (I think he has trouble holding onto the screen- and when I went to pick him up from the floor again, he had his tail wrapped around a hind leg, so I think he tripped himself up). No more yellow marks from it though and still moving fine. I tossed some crickets in before I had to leave for class and by the time I got back he was less a little less active. I'll see if he continues with tomorrow!
Ok keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom