Some questions about baby veiled.

k2lloydindesert

Hello all,

I have a very scared baby veiled. He has been with us for 6 days. I got him from FLchams so I know he was well cared for during his infancy.

our set-up:
- screened cage, 18x18x30, near sliding glass door.
- basking light and uv light that came with chameleon start-up kit
- Mostly live plants, pothos, schefflera, bamboo
- no substrate
- 3 temp/humidity gages...basking temp is 85, ambient is 70-ish. Humidity is low as I live in the desert. I'm hand misting him regularly and have a mist king waiting to be set up but he is scared of misting. He isn't showing signs of dehydration (no sunken eyes) and he shed for the first time (with us) 4 days after he arrived. It took 7 hours for him to shed his skin. We sprayed his cage often to help the process.
- His cage is in a high-traffic area. Not ideal, I know, but we really don't have an option for a different location. I have husband, 2 tween boys and a dog (who is the king of mellow...not barky) House isn't quiet but it's not chaos either.

Food
- Only crickets so far. He eats 8-12 every day. (Except shedding day. I didn't see him eat after 11:00am) I have dusted crickets with calcium w/o D3 4 days, so far. I will give him his first vitamin suppliment tomorrow.
- Crickets are gut-loaded with greens, apples, oranges, carrots. (I bought some mustard greens when I read on this forum that spinach wasn't the best choice.) I intend to suppliment with vitamins twice a month and Calcium w/ D3 twice a month.
- I will vary his diet more but we are still working the cricket husbandry and chami husbandry.

What things are going well:
- He is eating and drinking.
- Poops are dark brown.
- He is basking regularly.
- He is exploring his cage

My concerns:
- He seems stressed. His color is often dark. He may be cold (see section on basking) but I worry it's stress. Do I need to just relax and give him time to adjust?
- His basking makes me worried. I checked his temp one day and saw that it was 90degrees. I put space between the dual light and the cage which brought basking temp down to 85 but then he climbed the last couple of inches in cage to get closer to light. I brought light back down and he went back to enjoy his heat on the vine. I moved it back up and, again, he followed the heat. There are 2 different gages near his basking spot and they read the same temp so I don't think it's a gage issue. Why is he trying to crawl into the fire? Does he know something I don't? Or do I need to keep him from going over 85?
- He is so scared of me! I haven't tried to handle him at all. I want him to get comfortable in his cage before I try anything. Every time he sees a person, he turns dark and leaves basking spot to hide at bottom of cage. He is even scared of the misting! Cringes and hides from mist. I'm not looking for a cuddle-bug, I have 2 kids and a dog for that. However, I would like to establish a base-line trust where he can tolerate seeing people and could perhaps, be moved to an outside habitat occasionally. Right now, he hates it when I get close to his cage.
- Is it normal for a baby cham to climb the sides of the cage more than his vines? It makes me think he wants to go someplace else that feels safer.

Am I suffering from new mom worries or do I need to be concerned?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and advice!

Here are some photos...
Spike on gage.jpg
Spike on gage.jpg
Spike on first day.jpg

He is most likely stressed right now. Are you sure that he can't be put in a less traffic area? What brand of calcium do you use? I feel like I am forgetting something, but if I remember, I will ask.

He sounds like he's adjusting to his new home to me. You are correct in that you don't want it over 85F. A temperature of 90F is only ideal for adult males

He is most likely stressed right now. Are you sure that he can't be put in a less traffic area? What brand of calcium do you use? I feel like I am forgetting something, but if I remember, I will ask.

I can probably move him temporarily but the quietest room in the house is storage and it gets cold in there during winter. (That's why nobody sleeps in there!) We may be in the desert but, as they say, winter is coming. I could put him in there for an adjustment period of a couple of weeks but I think it won't be a good solution long term. It's a dark hole that contains our camping equipment, etc. Do you think that could help him adjust?

Calcium supplement brands:
- Zoo med Repti-cal w/o D3
- Zoo med Repti-cal w/ D3
- Rep-Cal Herptivite w/ beta carotene

Curiously, he's on an eating rampage today. I gave him 10 crickets this morning and then 4 more just now. He seems to be hunting down low in his cage.

I can probably move him temporarily but the quietest room in the house is storage and it gets cold in there during winter. (That's why nobody sleeps in there!) We may be in the desert but, as they say, winter is coming. I could put him in there for an adjustment period of a couple of weeks but I think it won't be a good solution long term. It's a dark hole that contains our camping equipment, etc. Do you think that could help him adjust?

Calcium supplement brands:
- Zoo med Repti-cal w/o D3
- Zoo med Repti-cal w/ D3
- Rep-Cal Herptivite w/ beta carotene

Curiously, he's on an eating rampage today. I gave him 10 crickets this morning and then 4 more just now. He seems to be hunting down low in his cage.
I think he may just be stressed. Happy Chameleon Keeping!

Be patient, it takes time for chams to get settled in. It took a few weeks before my guy (also from FLChams) got comfortable enough to not go dark and hide when I entered the room. As for be scared of the misting, its normal. My cham still runs for the hills when the mist king kicks on and he is almost a year and a half old... The important thing about misting is giving them a bump in humidity and creating water droplets on leaves and vines for them to drink. Honestly, I dont like it when someone sprays me unexpectedly lol

Be patient, it takes time for chams to get settled in. It took a few weeks before my guy (also from FLChams) got comfortable enough to not go dark and hide when I entered the room. As for be scared of the misting, its normal. My cham still runs for the hills when the mist king kicks on and he is almost a year and a half old... The important thing about misting is giving them a bump in humidity and creating water droplets on leaves and vines for them to drink. Honestly, I dont like it when someone sprays me unexpectedly lol

Thank you! Your response soothes my worried mind!

Back
Top Bottom