Some new additions

ferretinmyshoes

Veterinarian
Staff member
totally love these guys! They are so cute and so fun to watch! I've secretly always wanted dart frogs but don't really like dealing with fruit flies. And I was worried humidity would be a problem in my dry, dry Colorado climate. Well I have a Pygmy tank in my master bath so it gets a good humidity peak with our morning showers and with a reptifogger going off at regular intervals it's been maintaining perfectly! So I finally gave in. They're so cute!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    281.6 KB · Views: 137
They ARE cute! I've had my azureus for 12 years now and they never cease to be active, curious and adorable! Good luck with them!

Deb

I'm jealous! I will have some darts one day, but still in the research phase. Congrats on the new additions!

They ARE cute! I've had my azureus for 12 years now and they never cease to be active, curious and adorable! Good luck with them!

Deb

I'm curious - are they the same ones all 12 years, or different ones? I only ask because we have bumblebee leucs, and they are approaching 4 years old. I thought they only lived to about 3 and since this was our first attempt with them I was pretty impressed with how we are doing. I love the blue guys as well, and we are debating on what to put in the tank after these guys pass away.

I'm curious - are they the same ones all 12 years, or different ones? I only ask because we have bumblebee leucs, and they are approaching 4 years old. I thought they only lived to about 3 and since this was our first attempt with them I was pretty impressed with how we are doing. I love the blue guys as well, and we are debating on what to put in the tank after these guys pass away.

Yes, they are the same ones. The breeder I got them from said they live about ten years. I'm sure the average lifespan is much shorter since so many people buy them without doing their homework - much like chameleons. I have a false bottom with a waterfall and shallow pond in my tank. They LOVE sitting in the water! They usually sit in the waterfall and go to the bathroom. Funny creatures. I run a large fish filter that pumps the waterfall and keeps things clean.

Deb

totally love these guys! They are so cute and so fun to watch! I've secretly always wanted dart frogs but don't really like dealing with fruit flies. And I was worried humidity would be a problem in my dry, dry Colorado climate. Well I have a Pygmy tank in my master bath so it gets a good humidity peak with our morning showers and with a reptifogger going off at regular intervals it's been maintaining perfectly! So I finally gave in. They're so cute!
Oh I know the feeling! I've raised fruit flies for birds and hated the things. Fussing over their cultures, shipping them, killing them off, smelling them, angrily watching them steer clear of their predators, and finally swatting them. But the frogs seem to have so many qualities we like...beautiful color, diurnal, interesting behavior and adaptations, and the thought and design their habitats need would appeal to people who like chams. Now, I love my ball python, but to be really honest he's a bit boring. Neither he nor his habitat ever seems to need attention. Or, maybe I'm so used to chams that snake keeping seems bombproof :p

I love listening to them trill, and creating their habitats is a lot of fun. OK, it's a lot of hard work for my husband, but fun for me to watch.

Back
Top Bottom