some kind of palm tree ish plant...

mightyzug

can anyone ID this plant for me? i got it at a homedepot about a year ago and have no idea what it is. and i am very interested because of all the plants i have this one is the best size for inside my chams enclosure

Attachments

• 100_0617.JPG
    100_0617.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 349
It looks like a species of Dracaena to me. Possible a variety of Dracaena marginata. The problem is that Dracaena is a very large family, and various members of the family look vastly different to other Dracaena.

In general, all Dracaena are recommended for reptile enclosures, but there does seem to be a lack of clarity on the toxicity of various sub-species of these plants.

For instance, Dracaena sanderiana is commonly sold as 'Lucky Bamboo' and some sites I have checked have listed this sub-species as toxic. But I had it in my enclosure thinking that it was actually part of the bamboo family (a good reason why you should always check the scientific name of the plant you have) and had verified bamboo as being safe for chams.
Anyway, my cham did nibble on the plant (I never ascertained whether he actually ingested any of it), and he suffered absolutely no ill effects.
So I tend to think that all Dracaena are in fact safe for chams, but I can't guarantee that.

Until you positively identify the plant, and can verify that it is safe for your cham, it might be best to err on the side of caution and leave it out of the enclosure.

yep.. Tygerr is correct.. I have used these in veiled cages a few times when they were younger until one day i saw one of my male veileds who was about 5 months at the time choking on the plant.. he was trying to take a bite out of it and couldn't bite the piece off and had half of one of the long leaves in his mouth.. if that makes sense.. I had to pull it out of his throat. Since then I stick with pothos and umbrellas in my veileds cages since they tend to take big bites out of the leaves of whatever plant i put in with them :)

i have identified it as dracaena marginata or madagascar dragon tree, i am positive this is the right ID. thanks for all the help i would never have found it without the dracaena starting point

second ? now this is not one of the 2 dracaena listed in the live plants database, anyone know whether or not this species is safe?

i don't know much about this stuff, but the only other safe plant i have is pothos, which is also listed as toxic on those 2 lists that name this dragon tree as toxic, pothos is listed here and elsewhere as safe..... so it's all basically a big guessing game is what your sayin? or trial and error :p

or trial and error :p
No, not trial and error. You don't want to go risking your pets like that...

But lucky you can rely on the experiences of other keepers.

As for Pothos, it is not toxic, but it is high in oxalates which can affect calcium absorption if your cham eats a lot of it.
Many owners have used (and continue to use) Pothos with no ill effects in your cage. Just make sure your cham doesn't have too much of it.

Also, like I said earlier, check the scientific names of any plants you buy/have. Various (toxic) species of philodendron look just like Pothos. The one you would want is Epipremnum.

so if they look just like pothos how can i tell the difference with the ones i have?? coz if i have to buy new ones then they have to be separated for several months anyway and don't really help me right now like the plants i already have had for a long time.... if they are safe that is

i read that due to pesticides / chemical fertilizer or whatever is sprayed on most common houseplants that if you get a new one for the cham then you have to wash it, repot in safe soil, and quarantine it for several months before it is technically safe to place with the cham. that is why i have really wanted to avoid buying anything new for him when i have some safe plants that i have had for a while already

Last edited:
Yeah, you should definitely wash the plant thoroughly and repot it in clean soil, but I've never heard the quarantine bit for plants. I think that would be overkill.

To quote The Chameleon's Dish:
"To clean plants, fill your sink or bathtub with lukewarm soapy water. Dunk the leaves and trunk in and clean well with your hands and/or a soft scrub brush. Soak if needed. When you are done cleaning, rinse well. Re-pot, and you've got a plant ready for your chameleon."
http://www.chameleonsdish.com/habitat/plants.htm

i have identified it as dracaena marginata or madagascar dragon tree, i am positive this is the right ID. thanks for all the help i would never have found it without the dracaena starting point

second ? now this is not one of the 2 dracaena listed in the live plants database, anyone know whether or not this species is safe?

I know this is an old thread, but I wouldn't be so sure that you have dracaena marginata. I have two of those and they don't look like that, although the leaves look the same. Mine have three stalks per pot that are separate coming out of the soil. Again though, the leaves look the same. I"m still trying to figure out if this tree will be safe for a veiled, but no answers yet. I'm guessing yes--just because a stupid hound eats the plant and gets sick doesn't mean a chameleon will. . .

This is dracaena marginata, may be the same, but looks different.

Attachments

• IMG01489.jpg
    IMG01489.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom