Soil for plants

JohnR

I am not a gardener by any stretch of the imagination, so I was wondering if this is good to use to replant my plants into?

Got this at Lowe's.

i-XfWd7v9-L.jpg

Use lots of water absorbing materials so the soil is "dry"
The plants can draw it out of the materials

Vermiculite fine
Spaghnum
Etc.

Ok, I'm sorry, but I don't understand either of your all's response.

What I am asking is if what I posted a picture of is good to use?

Seed starter is a really basic medium with no extras - it's meant to be plain so that the seedlings don't jump start and then fizzle out because they grew too fast. I've had hit and miss luck with starting in seeds in that particular product - some years it's good, other's it's not. I would not use it to repot mature plants since it's not a very rich mix. There are other organic options out there - I'm currently using miracle grow Nature's Care with plants in my reptile tanks. So far it's giving wonderful results. :) If being organic isn't important, I also love Promix products - it's what I use for all my regular plants during the summer, and I'm using their regular (orange) mix as substrate for my scorpions.

I didn't realize that there was a difference.

I was under the impression that Miracle Grow has fertilizer in it, which is bad for the chameleons, right?

I didn't realize that there was a difference. I was under the impression that Miracle Grow has fertilizer in it, which is bad for the chameleons, right?

Nature's care is their organic line, so they don't have the typical Miracle Grow fertilizers and things added in. I just picked up a bag of it recently to repot some rather sad looking Hibiscus that I hope will recover in the spring.

as stated thats for starting seeds. I use organic potting soil and then use small river rocks to cover the top. After a few months you can either change out the soil or buy those fertilizer sticks and stick it into the soil for some fertilization. Have been using these methods problem free for a while. Have amazing plant growth and no ill effect to my chameleons.

OK great. So I take it places like Lowe's do not sell this type of soil? I couldn't see any that were free of fertilizer

OK great. So I take it places like Lowe's do not sell this type of soil? I couldn't see any that were free of fertilizer

I actually found the Nature's Care at a super Wal-Mart in their gardening center. Haven't checked Lowe's or Home Depot personally. You could also always see if there are any local plant nurseries around you and give them a call, asking what kind of soil mixes they have that don't include chemical fertilizers.

I use top soil for all my plants and gardening. Organic of course. It's rich, black dirt. The plants love it! And it's pretty cheap.

Back
Top Bottom