soil alternative

grccola

I want to plant a few plants in my cage and also hang them so I want something that is light and drains well can I use this as a substitute
Growstone GS-3 Coco Mix for Soil

The trouble with any substrate is the possibility of an obstruction in the digestive track should the cham ingest some of it while hunting food. If you really want to plant something in the bottom of the enclosure you can always cover it with screen or shade cloth. You will need to keep an eye on it for mold, a clean bottom is usually easier to keep clean but if you do run soil you can always put insects like springtails in to help out.

sorry if I did not make myself clear it is not for the bottom of the cage it is to put in some pots in the cage that I want to hang

sorry if I did not make myself clear it is not for the bottom of the cage it is to put in some pots in the cage that I want to hang

There is still a bit of risk if the cham happens to shoot its tongue at the surface of the potting soil. So, many of us put a layer of river pebbles on top of the soil that are too heavy for the cham to pick up on its tongue.

Coco fiber holds water well, so if your plants are getting misted by a misting system the roots will always be wet. That is OK with Pathos and a few others, but not many plants can tolerate it.

I don't know about the specific one you listed…

CHEERS!

Nick:D

Back
Top Bottom