Millipede infestation

Hi everyone!

I recently posted about sprinkles eating dirt and I took his plants out and discovered a ton of tiny millipedes. I guess he has a better eye than I do.

About 8 of his plant’s soil are covered in them )):

Any idea on how to control this? There’s a few big ones but mostly babies.

There’s mixed info online about whether they excrete toxins as a defense. I don’t want them to hurt sprinkles if that’s the case. I don’t like the idea of him eating them or the soil (risk of impaction).

Anyone have any thoughts? Plus I’m really grossed out🥲

Attachments

• IMG_0307.png
    IMG_0307.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0306.png
    IMG_0306.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0305.png
    IMG_0305.png
    632.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0299.png
    IMG_0299.png
    540.1 KB · Views: 11
Ugh I’m so sorry you are going through this! How horrible. Have you considered taking all the plants out, repotting them in new (different) soil and washing the plants as well to remove any hitchhikers?

Ugh I’m so sorry you are going through this! How horrible. Have you considered taking all the plants out, repotting them in new (different) soil and washing the plants as well to remove any hitchhikers?
So I noticed them in only one plant that wasn’t even in his enclosure! I repotted that one and thought all was ok… but now they are everywhere. I am going to repot all of his enclosure this weekend. I will make sure to wash the plants as well, thanks!

i would not only replace the potting soil, I would be cleaning the heck out of the plant pots and the plant roots too, just to ensure that there is minimal risk of reinfection. I would think just some normal soapy water might be enough. The plants you can remove the soil down to bare root and dunk a few times in the soapy water and then rinse the heck out of.

I had a giant African millipede once. It was very interesting to keep and to watch. I made one mistake with it though. It had little mites on its shell segments and I put a lady bug in with it to eat them…which it did…but I found out later that the mites would not infest anything else I had as pets and that the millipede needed them to clean its shell.

Back
Top Bottom